Severe Dysplasia - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Dysplasia Severe Dysplasia

Unread 02-07-2002, 05:31 AM
Severe Dysplasia

Thanks so much everyone for the posts.... Every day seems like an eternity!

I am typically a very calm and easy-going kind of person, and the difficulty I have had with this stuff is not like me at all. Fortunately, I seems to be regaining my equillibrium and no longer feel panic struck every minute of the day!

I have been doing ALOT of reading, but have not found anything that talks about the biopsy indicating abnormal cells in the glands, did anyone else get this result?

Kedda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2002, 09:43 AM
Severe Dysplasia

Ya know- the words "in the glands" is scary. But I doubt it would be lymph glands because they wouldn't know that without taking a sampling from them,and that can't be done w/o surgery.

I would definately call the doc and ask for a clarification- especially if you are not finding anything on it.

Sometimes those pathologists throw arounds terms more generally than specifically. Your doc can call the path. doc and have him clarify it.

Hang in there, sistah!!!
Unread 02-07-2002, 01:47 PM
Ladies in Waiting

It is scary waiting, and waiting for results. I had a bad pap last May, colposcomy (sp?) in June, LEEP in July, and then my hyst in Oct. It was madning to say the least. There's no advice that I can offer to ease this waiting period. But, it's not always bad. And, from my experience, yes dysplasia is very slow growing. Which, hearing you have any type of cancer is scary enough, but at least knowing it's not the kind that will spread like wild fire hopefully is a some comfort. I, unfortunately had both dyplasia and carsinoma - carsinoma being glandular. But, thankfully - it was ALL out w/my hyst. From what I know, this type of cancer does not cause the pain that I experienced. For me, my pain was mostly caused by ovarian cysts & uteran fibroids and endometriousis (sp?). I also have chronic fatigue & ebstienbar virus. Ebstienbar is still on the "if-ie" side of western medicine. Most doctors won't even achknowledge this exits. However, this can cause a lot of other problems. Sorry, babbling now. My point was, most likely your pain is not caused by any type of cervical/uteran cancer. I hope the shared experience is of some comfort. Good luck to you ladies. Keep us posted. You're in my thoughts.

s

Char
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Severe Dysplasia

As far as I know the main type of abnormality usually involves the squamous cells which are basically on the surface of the cervix. The less common abnormality involves the glandular or adeno cells. These are further up in the cervix. If indeed the abnormality involves the adeno cells, treatment is usually more aggressive. These cells are more aggressive and harder to diagnose because they are up further.

I too had the adeno cells. I had stage 1 adenocarcenoma. I had a hysterectomy 3 months ago. It sounds like whatever you have, it is really early. Dont panic....in all likelihood you will be fine. The waiting is awful! I have my first diagnostic tests this month and I am a wreck too. By the way Ive been told that there is a 99% chance that I am cured and I'm still a wreck!

-Denise
Unread 02-10-2002, 05:57 PM
Severe Dysplasia

I forgot to mention one more thing that should be reassuring. Pap smears can come back saying cancer as can colposcopys. My guess is that if you had a high stage invasive cancer that the colpo and pap would have said cancer already. The worst it probably could be is an early early stage microinvasive cancer. I am not sure about this this. You might want to ask your doctor.
Unread 02-11-2002, 05:24 AM
Severe Dysplasia

Denise,

Thanks for the post...the information you provided about the adeno glands is basically what I found on a site last week. Based on what the doctor said when she gave me the results, it all makes sense.

She said she didn't want to have to do a hyst, but wasn't sure she could get it all with the LEEP. In a way I feel better now understanding where the term "glands" comes in, but everything I read indicates adenocarcinoma is faster moving and more serious.

Thanks again for the info....

Kedda
Unread 02-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Severe Dysplasia

You're right. Adeno is more serious and faster moving. That is why I had the hysterectomy. I could have had a cone biopsy done which preserves fertility but the hysterectomy was sure to get all the cells.

I also had a long wait in between tests.

By the way, the major symptom of cervical cancer is bleeding in between periods.

-Denise
Unread 03-03-2002, 02:45 AM
Hi, Kedda--

Sounds like you have exactly what I have--I took a look at my pathologist's report (my nurse practioner pretty much automatically hands me all my reports at this point!) and I have "extensive endocervical glandular involvement." The cervix has a lot of mucus-producing glands in it; this is what causes that egg-white discharge when you ovulate. They don't mean your lymph nodes...they'd have to surgically sample them to know something like that.
So now I have an appointment on Tuesday 3/5 with my surgeon..I was lucky enough to hit the change in chief residents at the hospital, so I have to start all over with a new doctor to perform the surgery! If I didn't have my wonderful NP I'd go bonkers. One thing concerns me though--they say they are going to do a test to see if they can do my hyst vaginally or if they'll have to go in abdominally. Apparently this is done by attaching a tenaculum (Like pointy tongs!!) to my cervix and PULLING to see how tight my ligaments are!!! This sounds like no fun at all!!! Has anybody had this test? How uncomfortable is it? What if they pull too far and turn me inside out? (just kidding!) Is it so bad nobody mentions it, so easy it's not wirth mentioning, or am I the first person to have it? Yikes!
Well, I hope I answered some of your gland questions..and maybe somebody can answer my cervix-pulling question!
Best of luck!
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:00 AM
Severe Dysplasia

Hi Everyone.....

I had my LEEP on Wednesday and all went well. I guess it was actually a cone biopsy (at the hospital under general), but is still called a LEEP because of the procedure used.

Afterward the doctor said the amount of tissue involved was extensive, she is not sure there will be clear margins. Now it is time again to wait....pathology results should be back by Friday.

Not to be gross....but how long is there a discharge after having the LEEP? Doctor said she removed a lot of tissue, have to wait four weeks before going for the follow-up appointment.
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Severe Dysplasia

Hey Kedda,

You are probably going to see that discharge for a while.
I remember thinking that it was like having the longest period ever. Especially if they took a big sample. That is what my doc did as well. Big old chunk 'o' cervix. (not to be gross)

I bet the path report will bring to light everything that is going on. For me - the cone is where they found cancerous cells. But don't let that scare you - it is all very curable. That is why you had the cone- to find out exactly what is in there.

I know it stinks to have discharge forever- so hang in there. ((())) hugs to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register