Being Single | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-25-2002, 03:36 PM
Being Single

Thanks again for your replies. When I read most of the e-mails from my Hyster Sisters, most of them seem to have some kind of support at home - partners, children etc. I am single with no dependents. I am planning to go to my parents for the first week after my operation, then I am planning to return home. I generally enjoy living alone. What are other single Hyster Sisters experiences of recovering from a hysterectomy whilst living alone?

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Being Single

Hi. I too am alone and came home alone after the TAH/BSO (for cancer it turned out). Was in the hospital 9 days. Here are some suggestions. First, before you leave for the hospital, seriously, get your place all cleaned up, as much washed as you can (I was up early that a.m. for a last small load), and your freezer, pantry and refrigerator stocked up. (Your folks can help with perishables like milk/eggs, etc.) Get rid of the trash (I put mine out two days early). In other words, walk out with the place as filled with necessities and as clean as possible. Second, purchase a "reacher" because I found (and have heard this from others) bending over to be impossible! I improvised with kitchen tongs--wish I'd had a real reacher. It'll be a wonderful thing. Bending took a while. Third, if you have a house (like I do), line up outside essentials. I had any late shoveling (I went in 3/28 and we can get snow in April) lined up and a lawn service in place. One less thing to worry about. Fourth, figure out how to improvise. I got a Swiffer (something I swore I'd never get) and found it wonderful for dusting the hardwood bedroom floor, the kitchen floor, the bathroom tile floor, and stuck a wet disinfectant cleaning cloth on it to wash the bathroom floor. Basic cleaning--no sweat. Lastly--take up offers to help you out. I managed to go to the basement and do a load of laundry on day 13 but it was more like mounting an expedition--so if people offer, let them help out! Did call a distant cousin to take out trash the week after I got home! OK--this was no piece of cake for about the first week after I got home and I felt pretty rotten--so I'm glad you are going to your folks for a week--but you can manage fine alone. You just have to accept you'll be slower at things, can't do some things, and standards will fall (but starting out with a super clean place--a bit of a fanatic here to be honest--things won't deteriorate too fast) but you'll be back eventually to full activity as your doctor allows you. My last piece of advice--if the doctor says "no" then don't do it and if he/she says you should be able to do something unless it hurts (as mine did), listen to your body and stop before it does begin to hurt.
Unread 01-25-2002, 04:32 PM
Being Single

Hi Vanessa,
Even though my mother came and stayed with me when I first came home, I too live alone. It was really no different then when I'm home any other time, just a lot more time on my hands. Before my surgery, I went to a wholesale store and stocked up on things like cereal, coffee, water,soap powder, pet food (two dogs and a cat) and other things so as not to run out. I also stocked up on easy foods such as tuna salad, crackers, soups, etc. - you won't have much of an appetite for the first couple of weeks. I had a table next to my bed and kept my meds, water, phone and other things on it so I wouldn't have to jump up every time I needed something. Get plenty of rest, walk around whenever you can and basically take care of yourself. God Bless.

Cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 05:24 PM
Being Single

Vanessa,

I'm divorced and live alone with two cats. I had a TAH/BSO on Dec. 15, left the hospital on Dec. 17, and went to stay with some friends for another 8 days. That was the best thing I could have done! They took care of me. I could go out to the kitchen and make a sandwich or a cup of tea if I wanted, but I didn't have to clean up 'cause my friends would take care of it. It was great to have the company, too, even though I'm normally independent and a loner. I was so glad to be with them, and it gave me a great start to my recovery.

When I returned to my apartment, I did OK because I had prepared well. I had stocked up on food and all necessities PLUS put them where I could reach them. Almost everything I needed was arranged around the apartment at waist-height. I had put knick-knacks and unnecessary stuff away for a while (it's still put away) and put food, paper plates, TV tray, bottled water, etc. out. It made things SO much easier.

I've accepted help from the lovely people I know - - I feel so lucky to have them in my life - - one friend picks up my laundry and takes it to her house to wash - - another comes over twice a week to clean the cats' litterbox and take out the garbage. They are still doing this, even though I am almost 6 weeks post-op because I had to go back to work at 4 weeks - - I wanted to, I had planned to, it was financially urgent to go back, and the Dr. told me I could - - but working takes all my strength and energy - - there's none left to do laundry and clean cat boxes!

I think that if I weren't going to work, I could manage the household chores and the laundry, if I had a washer/dryer and didn't have to go to the laundromat (aw heck, I could probably handle the laundromat, too, if I took small loads there) but since all my energy is going into earning a living, I still need the help.

You don't know how hard it is for me to admit I need help! Did I mention INDEPENDENT?!

So --

1) Stock up on everything you'll need.
2) Arrange things so you can reach them.
3) Line up some help for the heavy/bending type chores. And driving for a few weeks if you need to go somewhere.
4) Get ready to take it easy for a while.

You'll do great! Check back to this site often - - it's a super resource!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register