"But you're SOOOO young" =( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"But you're SOOOO young" =( "But you're SOOOO young" =(

Unread 01-25-2002, 06:47 PM
"But you're SOOOO young" =(

I just want to cry! I went to have my hair done today with my regular lady, btw she cut it too short, and we got to talking about my upcoming hysterectomy. Well, I was fine and happy until she asked me, " are you SURE this is what you want to do? you're SO young!" After that I just wanted to cry. I know she sensed my unease and stopped talking about the surgery after that. I just keep wondering why did she say that? I mean, this decision is hard enough and so it left me wondering, what does she know that I don't? She's nearly 50 and has not had a hyst. so what does she know, yanno? I'm not upset at her or anything like that, it has just planted yet another seed of doubt in my mind! I mean, how do you ever REALLY know if this was the right thing to do until you HAVE it done? Am I going to change that much? I just sat there with all these negative thoughts in my head and came home and cried. I have visions of myself coming out of this surgery with thinning hair, wrinkled skin, a big ol' pot belly and just feeling really old. I won't, will I? Do you really change all that much from this? I was so ready mentally for this surgery and now I'm scared all over again!

I'm sorry to sound stupid, but I'm riddled with fear again! Is it TOO much to ask to come out of this surgery totally the same just minus the pain and the bleeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 07:14 PM
old, schmold

Julie,

Don't feel bad about what the hairdresser said. Alot of us here are young, and we want to be able to enjoy our youth. I'm only 28, and I feel like I'm much much older. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time, and I am really starting to look forward to having this surgery. (TAH 2/6)
Besides anyone that hasn't walked in your shoes has no idea what you are going through. Sounds like the hairdresser just needed to keep her opinions to herself.
I have been having alot of anxiety and second thoughts myself. But then I remember, I'm going to be better soon, and I'm going to be able to do all of the things I struggle to do now.
Keep your chin up, we are here for you!

Nicole
Unread 01-25-2002, 07:27 PM

{{{{Julie}}}} I constantly worried about everything pre-op...and constantly wondered if I was doing the right thing. You name it I worried about it. I had my surgery almost 2 years ago...my hair has not thinned, I actually lost 10 lbs, my energy level is great and my moods are more stable than they've been in years. I have changed...but it's all been good changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 07:35 PM
same here

julie b.

i know how you feel!!!! i am 22 years old and have to have a hyster.. and i get that question by many people, of course those who don't know what pain i have went through trying to deal with all of the health problems. i have decided to go with my own opion, and that of my doctor, health problems don't see age, or how it's going to affect your life, you have to do the best thing for your problem, and this is diffently it for me. you shouldn't worry about what other people think is best for you, or let there opions get you down, you are the only one who knows your body, and what it has went through. now i just look to the positive things about my upcomming hysterectomy. by the way i go in for TAH / with possible ovary removal feb 11th. i hope everything goes well for you.. if you ever need to talk i'm here. take care, and think of your healt, not what other people think.

Unread 01-25-2002, 08:13 PM

Don't let your hairdresser's offhanded comments get to you!! Of course you don't want to hear that kind of stuff...who would! And it was pretty darn boneheaded of her to say it to you. There seems to be an unwritten law that people feel compelled to express their opinions very freely when it comes to other people's medical decisions.

Remember, sweetie, she's a HAIRDRESSER, not a doctor. Your doctor doesn't cut your hair, so don't let her 'hair'-brained (sorry!) comment influence a well thought out plan that you have agonized over. I know it's hard to hear junk like that...but please don't let her upset you. You and your doctor have made a good decision based on your specific medical condition.

And like Dot, I had only good things come from my surgery...my hair is GREAT now (it likes this HRT), I lost weight, I have energy to spare, and I can bend over to tie my shoes without falling over in agony.

Please don't be upset...people are just thoughtless sometimes!

Karen
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:59 PM

Oh Julie...I'm sorry about what your hairdresser said. Very insensitive, but she probably has no clue! You know what?....you don't come out of this surgery a 90 y/o! I am 50 and had my hyst in Aug. and I am doing great and feeling younger! So, pooey on that! You will come out feeling better than ever. It's such a shame that she just HAD to put in her lousy two cents worth! Sometimes you just have to kick the dust off your feet and move on from people like that. The only change will be that you will get your life back!

Sherry
Unread 01-25-2002, 09:36 PM

Julie, no one else really knows what you are going thru, I have the same problem with a lady from work, and I tried to not let her know what I was doing just because I didn't want to hear it from her. She told me to stay away from dairy products because of the hormones in them nowadays and everything would get better and a few other things I was to do.......but until they go thru what your going thru they have no place to talk.

Unread 01-25-2002, 09:41 PM

Julie,
I am so sorry to hear that she was so insensitive. There are lots of very young women who have Hysters, I am kind of middle of the road, I was 35 when I had mine. There are lots and lots of women on this site that are quite a bit younger than me.
You will feel a lot younger once you have this done and all the problems are gone.
I know it is hard, but try not to let people like her get you down.
Take Care
Unread 01-25-2002, 09:51 PM

Julie.

Please don't let others comment bother you. No one knows what you have gone through. They have no right to comment I was 30. It is well worth getting rid of the pain. It is your body and you have every right to enjoy it without pain. A person can only take so much pain and then they are going to protest. Believe me. I would not change a thing.

The recovery from an abdominal takes time. You will not have wrinkles and the tummy will disappear. I am on the 8 month point. Four months to go!!!1 Yipeeee!!!

Best Wishes
Adria
Unread 01-25-2002, 09:54 PM

You guys really know how to make a girl feel better!!!!! I feel so sorry for anyone who has to go through this without the benefit of this site and all the great gals here! It is so mind relieving to know that you can have this surgery and not turn into an invalid and actually be a BETTER version of yourself! You gals give a person so much hope it's not even funny... God bless the person who brought all of you wonderful women together by creating this site and thank you SO much AGAIN for listening to me whine and making me feel better. I don't know what I'd do without you!

s to you all.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register