help! sciatic pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help! sciatic pain? help! sciatic pain?

Unread 09-10-2012, 05:26 PM
help! sciatic pain?

Hi my friends. I am freeking out here, as usual. I think I will just have to go back on paxil, I am exhausted from being so scared and worried and a wreck all the time. I just hate taking stuff. Anyway...my hyst./oo. was 5 years ago. I just went on Estrace cream .01, about a gram aday. It has been 13 days of being on it. Last night I had a minor twinge in my left calf. Just minor, not even painful. Like a painless cramp. Well then I was up all night long worrying it was a blood clot. Today it is still there, but now my hip and back and knee hurt too, I am hoping it is just a strain from yanking the lawn mower pull cord a million times, but still I am scared. I've had sciatica before, just never with the calf involved (and while driving I felt it in the bottom of my foot as well). I want to take an Advil or soemthing, but I am afraid to, as if it is a blood clot what if the Advil dislodges it and kills me?! See? This is how my mind works. It's pathetic. It hasn't gotten worse, other than spreading to hip./back area, I just don't know what to think...and internet searches jsut scare me more. I don't smoke, excersize alot etc. my only risk factor I guess is being post menopause and the 13 days on Estrace low dose. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Re: help! sciatic pain?

Deep breaths.

Now take some ibuprofen. You would know if it was a clot. From what I understand they are quite painful. You're describing what I feel when my sciatic nerve is being compressed (yes, it causes muscle spasms sometimes). You could also try cold compresses on the area and stretching.
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:04 PM

thank you Irmctexas.! I hope you are right! I agree, I think it's one of those things you would 'know'...but then, there I am at 3 in the morning reading about how half the people have no symptoms at all until the pulmonary embolism hits them....I took one Advil, will see how that goes. I have a checkup with regular gynecolosist tomorrow so I can get an order for mammogram, I'll mention it to him, he knows me and will probably roll his eyes and tell me to stay off the internet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2012, 06:03 AM

Thank you again for your comforting words! I went to bed and felt oddly good, the Advil must have helped. I laid there, and didn't feel a pain anywhere. I even slept for several hours instead of pacing and shaking like crazy. I was awakened a little to early by my daughter but that is okay, I felt good and there is not a pain or cramp anywhere! I can't even imagine one up. Thank you!
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Yes, sciatic pain can go through your hip, down the thigh, into the groin/anal area, down the calf and into the foot.

It's not fun!! Quit yanking the lawnmower cord...LOL
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Quit yanking the lawnmower cord...LOL
And stay away from Dr. Google for therin lies madness.
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM

okay. Thanks ladies. I went to my regular gyn, had a nice chat, he spent alot of time with me. Thankfully no pelvic, as I just had a painful one at the oncologist a couple weeks before. Anyway , in spite of the surgical menopause, I am very low risk for blood clots and heart problems. He did, as expected, order me to stay off the internet. So I have been feeling pretty good...he basically told me that I am fine, and they won't let anything happen to me. Which was nice. So I have been feeling pretty good, hardly thinking about numbers at all..until the other day, walking around in Lowes, I had a funny little twinge behind my right breast. Sort of near the sternum. Sort of a twingey feeling. It lasted less than a minute, came back just a couple times later on, then has been gone for several days. Then, laying in bed I had a twingey feeling under my other breast, so of course I instantly go into panic mode. I don't think it is a heart attack sort of thing, as I am breathing fine, no pain, no symptoms like a heart attack, and the twinge went away quickly. Let's hope. I just want relief from the fearful feelings. I took a couple Tums, maybe I ate too much pizza or something. I would think if it was a heart attack it would stick around, and not just show up when I was thinking about it or laying it bed. Tell me I'm right! lol
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM

Probably not a heart attack either.

Have you considered that you might have an anxiety issue? If you are taking medication for it you may need to have your dose adjusted following surgery. And, no judgement here. I struggle with it myself at times.
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:58 PM

Yes, I do. Oddly enough, that was what brought me to the doctor in the first place, she prescribed paxil, and a week or two later the unltrasound and everything happened. I tend to forget about it between attacks, I weent off the paxil months aago should probably go back on. Now my problem is ,I tell myself it is just anxiety...but what if the one time I convince myslef it is just anxiety and itreally is soemthing? I feel like an idiot sometimes. I'm having an atttack right now...just becasue I thought to myself, 'This is great! Ihaven't had an attack for a few days!" and BOOM there I went, shaking like crazy. I think I'll go jog around the backyard to prove to myself it's not a heart attack. I have zero chest pain, just fear.
Unread 09-26-2012, 03:53 AM

Maybe the estrace cream isn't getting into your system right?

For many peeps, anxiety is an issue of low estrogen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register