epideral | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-27-2002, 05:20 AM
epideral

My surgery is Wed, 1/30 and I had my pre-op yesterday. The dr told me that he was going to give me an epideral - he thinks that it is better than general anesthia and they can control the pain better during my hospital stay.
Has anyone else had this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2002, 05:56 AM
epideral

Hi There!

I had epidural, and I also had general, a combination. The epidural numbed me and served as my pain management for after my surgery, and the general, I presume, was administered to keep me asleep during surgery.

When I woke up, I wasn't very groggy at all - and it was nice to have the 'button' to push as I needed the pain med boost.

So many have reported that epidural proved to be a good experience; I had some issues with it, though... for one thing, it got on my nerves- sticking in my back and tubes draped over my shoulder, etc., and another thing, it did malfunction a bit the morning after my surgery (it *missed a spot*, which proved to be extremely painful until the anesthesiologist came and adjusted it).

Best wishes to you as you approach the castle!
Unread 01-27-2002, 06:00 AM
epideral

Hi!

I had general anesthesia with mine and was content with it. Others on here have had epidurals with theirs and were also content. This is a decision that you and your dr will have to decide which is best for you.

With the epidural, they can leave it in after surgery and you can receive your pain med through there. An anestheologist once told me that, "pain is controlled easier when given through the spinal cord or epidural space and usually less medication has to be used, kinda like accupuncture".

If you don't want to be awake during your surgery, they can still give you something to help you relax or go to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2002, 07:46 AM
epideral

I had an epidural and very glad that I did. I did not have to have the pump so many women talk about. I just took Torodol for about 24 hours and Percoset after that. The epidural did not make me sick or nauseous. I had no gas, headaches or any other bad symptoms. I was awake (but groggy) when the surgery actually started but they put me out per my request. Some people do not like to be put completely under, so its totally up to you. I had never had surgery before, so I just trusted my doc when he said having an epidural was the way to go. If I ever have to have surgery again, I will want to have it done the same way.
Good Luck to you on Wednesday!
MB
Unread 01-29-2002, 04:30 AM
epideral

I have been thinking alot about the type of anesthesia I want to have for my hysterectomy. When I had my myomectomy, I had general anesthesia... I'll admit, I didn't realize that during that surgery I had an airway in place & I woke up with a very sore throat. So I have been reaing about the pros & cons of epidurials. Knowing me & my nerves; I think I'd be better off again with general anesthesia. This time, I know to ask for a special " cocktail" that they can administer so I don't get the nausea post op. I think anesthesia & what is best for you is such an individual choice.
Unread 01-29-2002, 12:29 PM
Epidural vs General

My sugery is due 2/19 and I am really agonizing over the anesthesia issue..I hate general Hate the feeling it leaves in you afterwards..grrr..and I have a hard time coming out of it and always pass out..I wouldl ove to have the epidural, my Dr offered it to me. But I don't want to be totally awake during the surgery cuz I really don't want to hear what they are doing. And tell me, how badly do the epidurals hurt when they put them in? How did I give birth three times all natural with no pain meds if I am worried about these things?? lol..I have heard the epi is so much better for you after the surgery and the pain relief is wonderful. And you feel so much better than with the general. I have until 2/14 to decided what anesthesia I want and I know this has been discussed before, but could we get more input on one's who've had this done? From both perspectives? I am so glad that I found this site..How wonderful. You all have helped me so much..
:angels: You are great..Good luck to all who are having their surgeries soon..
Unread 01-29-2002, 12:30 PM
Medication

Just a fast post note..What is this med torodol that everyone is talking about? I know it is a pain med but what type? Trying to get all of the info I can get..I cannot take a steroid, and am thinking that is what it is thanks
Unread 01-29-2002, 04:04 PM
epideral

Torodal is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Here's the manufacturer's info site for it:

http://www.rocheusa.com/products/toradol/

As for anesthesia, I had a spinal, which is kinda like an epidural, but it's a one-shot deal, then it wears off. With an epidural they leave a tiny tube in, and can keep delivering meds as needed. I really liked the spinal (as opposed to an earlier general I had).

With the spinal, and I would guess the same is true for an epidural, you can be...
... awake and aware, and remember it.
... awake and aware, and not remember a thing.
... dozey and dreamy, and not caring what they do.
... pretty much out of it.

Talk to your anesthesiologist about which way you want. I was kinda disappointed that I couldn't remember anything. I'm told I was asking questions and wanting to see things, but it's a big blank in my memory. I asked him ahead of time what would happen if I could feel stuff going on. He said I could just tell him, and he'd take care of it. I asked if I would be *capable* of telling him (or too out of it), and he said I would be able to talk to him, no problem. I s'pose I was, too... can't remember...
Unread 01-29-2002, 05:05 PM
Spinal worked great!!!

I had a spinal (the one-shot deal) and thought it was great! I was given Valium, and slept a pretty natural-feeling sleep the whole time. I woke up when the dr was finished and was able to ask him questions and remember that part. It was nice to have the Valium also because it kept me from being too bothered about the numbness in my legs.

Best of luck!

Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register