How much am I supposed to be getting around? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much am I supposed to be getting around? How much am I supposed to be getting around?

Unread 01-27-2002, 09:19 AM
How much am I supposed to be getting around?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading a lot of your threads and am a little confused. I am not sure how much I am supposed to be getting out of the house and going places at this point. I live alone and am not able to drive yet (almost 2 weeks post TAH). I see that you guys are shopping, out to the movies, eating out, etc. I am lucky to take a shower and walk around the house without feeling pain and needing to hit the bed or sofa. Am I supposed to be going out more? Please give me some of your great input to let me know what all of you are or were able to do or not do.

Thank you so much...
Deb

I am anxious to go out and clean up the backyard and walk my dogs but have been scared to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2002, 09:32 AM

Hi Deb,

You need to be very careful not to overdo. You are still very early in your recovery period. Lots of anesthesia may still be circulating in your system, masking symptoms you'd otherwise feel.

My dr let me drive at 2 weeks post & my body let me know real fast that that was too early for me. We all heal at different rates, so it's very important to listen to what your body says and don't do anything earlier than when your dr says you can.

For now, just gradually build up your strength doing things like walking around the house and other things that don't require lifting over 10 lbs., bending, or stretching. And since sitting is also considered an activity, be careful not to sit for too long at a time. Take plenty of breaks to lay back and put your feet up.

You only one chance get to heal right the first time. You will soon have time later on to do all those other things. I would be very cautious about walking dogs right now. They could see something they want to take off after and give your body too big of a jolt. You don't want to rip any of those internal stitches.
Unread 01-27-2002, 09:44 AM

Hi Deb!

There is a mixed bag here, huh!? The best advice to take is the advice and instruction from your DR coupled with what your body signals you to do (or NOT do) - some of the reason you see varied levels of activity discussed here is that DRs will differ in their instructions, and our surgeries differ in degree of invasiveness.

I think it's much smarter to err on the side of caution and not take any chances during initial recovery, as healing is at it's most vulnerable. If you take on that backyard or walk those dogs, it's my opinion that you could end up regretting it. Just for instance, walking (small?) dogs sounds perfectly harmless.... unless you lose your footing or trip (which is more possible in the sometimes unsteady state this surgery can put us in during the first several weeks) -

Surely it's very good for you to take short, easy walks during this time, only not necessarily with the dogs.

I had cabin fever after the first couple of weeks, too - but I really didn't venture out until just after week 3... and, call me wimpy, but even then I regretted it -- I came home in complete misery from riding in the car!

In my opinion, I think you are perfectly sensible to continue doing what your body is telling you - if something causes pain, then STOP whatever that something is. This pain is not something you work through.

Relax, sweetie - take it easy - take those short, easy walks as often as you can, but also do alot of resting, too - the body heals best when you're resting.

s,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2002, 09:55 AM

Thanks so much.

I am so grateful for your responses. I bet there are a lot of others who have these same questions. Since one of my dogs is 100 lbs, I will have to wait awhile to go for a walk with him. (His name is floodles).

Thanks to all of you sister-princesses. I appreciate everything that you share.

Deb
Unread 01-27-2002, 09:56 AM

Deb. I didn't even think of venturing out of my house until my 4 week post op appt. (dh drove). At 2 weeks post I was only walking around the inside of my house some but the majority of my day was spent lounging on the couch Taking showers totally wore me out.

Don't rush your recovery...everyone heals at their own pace.
Unread 01-27-2002, 11:28 AM

Deb, I was just as puzzled as you when I was early in recovery. On the one hand you are told to walk, walk, walk, and then told to rest, rest, rest. If I was resting I felt like I should be walking - when I was walking - I got worn out! It's a catch 22 isn't it!?

I received a good piece of advice from one of the chat room hostesses that really seemed to help. For every bit of time you are up and about, spend an equal amount of time resting with your feet up. If you are up for a half hour - go rest for a half hour. If you sit at the computer for 45 minutes (which is a long time this early!) go rest for 45 minutes.

Personally, I didn't even think about venturing out to go shopping until I was 3 weeks post- and then it was just for an hour long trip and I was worn out from it. Everyone is so different.

Enjoy this time to yourself - it will go by so fast and pretty soon you'll be looking back wondering where it all went. How many times in our lives do we get to do a lot of nothing? It sounds like you are taking good care of yourself and listening to your body - that's the best thing you can do.

Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery!
Unread 01-27-2002, 12:33 PM
don't push yourself

Please rest and take this time to heal. I drove to my 2wk PO and should have had a driver. I was SOOOO tired. I knew better to go home right after the appt. and rest. I needed help up from laying on the exam table! Weird thing is my Dr. told me to go on a vacation, fly somewhere, that lots of patients do that. Well, I was surprised to say the least. I KNEW I couldn't go on a vacation. Even stranger, my Dr. never asked me anything about me? He just looked at the 3 incisions from the Lap. and liked my healing progress.

I fnally went to the movies at 4wkPO and did good. Sitting for a long time can be a strain on the abdominal area so be careful.

I am 8wkPO and still have to take it easy. I have overdone it, went back to work at 6wkPO, and am back OFF of work for the next 2 wks. Will be on light duty (for how long?)

Listen to your body, take frequent rests and watch the lifting!

I wish you the best, Enjoy your recovery.
Unread 01-27-2002, 12:47 PM

My goodness Renee - your dr. actually told you to go on vacation at 2 weeks post????
Unread 01-27-2002, 02:55 PM
No Kidding!

Yes, he did!!!! Like I said, I was surprised/shocked! He must have been extremely pre-occupied and thought I was someone else!? I had faith in him for the surgeryand for the past 10years. but now for PO and future, I have my doubts.

I have an appt. with another Dr. at a Women's Health Center in 2 weeks.
Unread 01-27-2002, 03:34 PM

Hey Deb my 1/14th sister! You have a big ol' dog like me! I haven't left my jammies yet and dh is taking me to my 2 wk. I like that equal time down for equal time up. Seems practical; unless our bodies say down more.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register