nervous and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nervous and scared nervous and scared

Unread 01-27-2002, 11:16 AM
nervous and scared

I am a 31 year old, who is going to be having a TAH on February 8th. I am hoping that I am making the right decision. Back in July i started my period normal and it went on and on for three weeks. Then, it became very heavy with major clots. My family physician advised me to not wear tampons and only wear pads. I was changing these pads every half hour. ( it reminded me but was worse than a miscarriage which i had suffered three years vefore). It was rediculous. She tried to stop (or even slow down) my periods by having me double, triple and even quadrupal on my birth control pills. After nothing happening, she referred me to a gyn. They prescribed more birth control pills and when nothing got better they did a D & C. After the procedure in October, i waited patiently for my period and it came...all was good for about three days and then boom back to heavy bleeding and clots again. For the next almost three months my dr tried to prescribe different pills that might take care of this. SHe said because i was heavy that i was not shedding my lining and the pills should help. But they didnt and now i find myself scheduled for the TAH. I am okay with my decision because i do not want any more kids and am extremely tired of the bleeding. I am just nervous and scared which i hope is totally natural. I do appreciate this website as i have learned quite a lot about the effects this may or may not have on me.

Thanks for listening,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2002, 11:48 AM
nervous and scared

Hi Deanna

Welcome to Hystersisters! You will find so much support and information here!

I also had a TAH for heavy periods with major clots, so I know how you feel! It is awful!

It is perfectly normal to be nervous pre-op. If you weren't we would think something was wrong! LOL !!

Keep reading and posting....it really does help.

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery
Unread 01-27-2002, 11:57 AM
I CAN RELATE

HI, JUST A QUICK NOTE TO LET YOU KNOW, I CAN RELATE TO HOW YOUR FEELING. THE NERVS CAN GET THE BEST OF YOU. I GO 1/28 OH MY THATS TOMORROW,. THE INFO ON THIS WEB SITE HAS A REASSURING EFFECT. TRY NOT TO WORRY TO MUCH, WISH I COULD DO MORE! BEST OF LUCK, I"LL BE THINKING AND SENDING PRAYERS YOUR WAY. EMERALDS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2002, 02:11 PM
nervous and scared

You are facing major surgery, and it's perfectly normal to be scared!!! The emotions we go through run from A to Z....sometimes in the space of five minutes.

As long as you feel comfortable with your doctor and your decision, you'll be fine. It's scary stuff, but we'll be here for you 24/7, so keep reading and posting. You can also stop by Chat to meet other women who are waiting!!!

Hang in there, and we'll be here for you every step of the way.

Karen
Unread 01-27-2002, 03:08 PM
nervous and scared

Deanna,

Would it helpp to know that I went through the same thing. My bleeding stopped last week after more than 2 months. My surgery is scheduled for next friday, and before I came to this site I thought I was going to lose my mind. The "Sister Love" that I have received along with the info. that is posted on the different boards has helped me to place the anxiety in the proper perspective. Now even though I do not want surgery (who does) I am equipped to deal with it.

Blessings.

redstick
Unread 01-27-2002, 06:37 PM
nervous and scared

I am scheduled to have lavh next Monday, Feb 4th.....I am just undecided now the closer it gets to time, whether to have it or not.... ..I have pretty heavy bleeding,clots and pain really low on my right side........everyone said its the best thing to do,,,,and everyone that has had one says they wish they hadn't put it off...........but, I guess I'm just kidding scared (which maybe is normal).....I love this website...I found it as a result of having IBS and someone suggested this one........any advice?????
Unread 01-28-2002, 04:40 AM
nervous and scared

It's normal to second guess, especially as you get closer to the date. At one week prior it hits you big time! How much research did you do? Did you get a second opinion? How is your quality of life now and do you anticipate it will be better after a hyst? Do you feel comfortable calling your dr and talking about your concerns? Talk to your family. Try making a list with pros and cons.

I'm scheduled for the day after you, and I know this is what I want, but every so often I think, gee, the last month hasn't been so bad maybe I should wait, then I remember the months when it is bad, I remember being on a golf course and desperately searching for a porta potty, going to the beach and not being able to go in the water, planning a vacation around my period and that was one of those months it went on forever; then I forget about my second thoughts. A lot of women have said they didn't realize how bad they really felt until after when they started feeling better.

Hope this helps!
Unread 01-28-2002, 01:38 PM
Hi Deanna,

You know we all have reasons for wanting and not wanting a hyst. I think you just need to weigh them all and make the best decision and then forget about the wether I am doing the right thing. Just concentrate on the things that is going to happen after you start recovery. No more bleeding, no more pain, no more pads or tampons, no more scheduling around the dreaded period each month, and yes of course the nerves are always there. If you weren't nervous then it would worry us . So just think about the new you and like I tell my DS forget about wether the decision is right or wrong, there is no wrong decision if you make it for yourself. God Bless and we are always here 24/7 just to talk.
Unread 01-28-2002, 02:06 PM
nervous and scared

Hi Deanna,

Just wanted to wish you luck with your surgery and tell you that you are not alone in your fears and apprehensions. Your story sounded so much like my own. I bled so heavily for 10 months, that for @16 days each month, I could barely leave the bathroom, let alone the house. After much hesitation, I had my TAH on December 17, 2001. I go for my 6 week check-up tomorrow. I can't tell you how much better I am now feeling. I had no bleeding this month, my blood count is way up, (the anemia was very exhausting) and I have a life to look forward to again! The surgery was not nearly as traumatic for me as the monthly bleeding. I was so apprehensive and scared prior, but now feel like it was the best decision that I have ever made. I feel like a new woman! No more pads, tampons or (lol) those pesky clots falling out of me!!! I will mark my calender and say a special hyster-sister prayer for you on your surgery day. Best wishes, all will be well and you will be on the road to feeling so much better!
Chris
Unread 01-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Im a 2/8 also!

Hi Deedlebugg, I too am having surgery on 2/8. Im having a TVH.
I had an ovary removed in 96 because of a huge cyst, over the years the periods have gotten worse, bleeding, pain, etc.. Then in March my pap came back positive for dysplasia. However the leep and cone were not successful so we are just getting rid of it all. I only have one ovary and they are going to try and save that, but there are no guarentee's.

You certainly have found the a great place to visit on the WWW. These gals are great, they are all going through the same thing as we are, which makes it easier on us. They don't even think we are nuts!!!!:hair:

Good Luck, we can count down together.

Tammie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register