Vicodin question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vicodin question Vicodin question

Unread 01-27-2002, 08:01 PM
Vicodin question

How addictive is vocodin? That is the only pain medication that has worked for me so far. My surgery is in June and I plan on taking the Vicodin until then. I only take it when I absolutely need it...about 3 times a day for 2-3 days a month. I have to say that it is so great. It almost completely gets rid of my pain and as I said before, nothing else did. My husband kept talking about how addictive it is when I first started taking it. He made me a little nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2002, 08:18 PM
Vicodin question

Hi,
I have taken quite a bit of Vicodin. With all the menstrual problems and I also suffer from very frequent kidney stones. What my doctor has told me is that if you are taking the Vicodin for real pain and sounds like you are...then you should be okay. Although, I too have been very nervous. Vicodin is very addictive. It is an opiate and they make you feel good. But you need to know when you need the help from a pain reliever. Also, there is a problem with becoming immune to its effects if you take it alot. Sometimes it isn't as effective after a while.

I think you are okay as long as you only take it when you need it. You will know when and if you are using it unnessisarily.

Good luck
Blondie
Unread 01-27-2002, 10:14 PM
Vicodin

I've been taking Lortab in one form or another for almost a year. I don't take it every day. Only when the pain gets too bad for me to function. I went to allot of doctors before they would pay attention to my symptoms and do something to help. If you can get some easement of your pain, take it. Especially since you're saying you're only needing it 2-3 days a month. You cannot get addicted taking it so infrequently. I've been hurting for over 6 years, so to me, any day that I'm able to take a pain pill to relieve my discomfort is a good day. So don't worry. Just enjoy the absence of the pain for a few hours. God bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2002, 11:30 PM
Vicodin question

I did meet someone once who was addicted to Vicodin. She took them every day. Her resistance to them had built up, and so just one didn't necessarily work. So she took another. Then forgot she'd taken any, and take another. Another family member said she had taken a whole bottle full in this way. I lost track of her, and later heard she had died. I'd guess it was connected, but I don't know why.

I apologize if this sounds too morbid. Still, it's good to be a little fearful of becoming addicted, I think, because that will help keep you from doing so. Your usage sounds very reasonable and safe.
Unread 01-28-2002, 12:09 AM
Vicodin question

Check with your doctor or pharmacist. I would think that by only taking them for a few days, separated by weeks of not taking any, you should be pretty safe from physical addiction.

If you have an addictive sort of personality (drugs, alcohol...) I'd see what else you could use.

Vicodin is a drug you can become addicted to, but as with other painkilling opiates there's also a time when it's appropriate to take it.
Unread 01-28-2002, 03:31 AM
Vicodin question

Relax, hon. While Vicodin can be an addictive medication, just like lots of other pain meds, you don't sound like that is happening since you say you are only taking it 2-3 days a month. Addiction is when you feel the physical and/or the emotional need to take something on a daily basis. When pain meds are used appropriately and on a short term basis, usually no addiction occurs.
Unread 01-28-2002, 06:52 PM
meds

I hope that you have an opportunity to discuss your concerns with your doctor. It sounds like you are being very open and honest. My family has had a very bad experience from'V". My husband has gone through numerous surgeries. In the process and due to his chemical make up, he did become addicted to Vicodin. It didn't seem to take long before one pill was not enough. His tolerance built up and he needed more. I was oblivious to what was going on. He enrolled himself in a hospital program and did a week stay to detox from Vicodin. He now supports others with addictions and works a 12 step program...all from medically prescribed drugs. I learn more as I watch him go through his recovery. We don't all have that chemical disposition for addiction. Take care. I hope that you find relief from your pain.
Rose
Unread 01-28-2002, 07:51 PM
Vicodin question

I don't think you need to worry, sweetie. As infrequently as you take the Vicodin, it will not be addictive. I've been taking Vicodin periodically for about three years now for my pain, and I'm no more addicted than I was in the beginning. My doctor told me that patients are very unlikely to become addicted as long as the medication is taken as prescribed and only when needed.

And isn't it wonderful when the Vicodin kicks in and you realize the pain is gone?! Heavenly!!

Best of luck with your ongoing pain battle and with your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register