Perfumed soap or shower gel? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Perfumed soap or shower gel? Perfumed soap or shower gel?

Unread 01-28-2002, 05:41 PM
Perfumed soap or shower gel?

I have read various posts about pre surgery prep. In a past surgery I know that I was told: NO makeup, hairspray, polish, perfume, etc. But, what about the fragrance from shower gel or perfumed soap? Are those also ? Thanks!

Rayna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2002, 06:00 PM
pre-op prep perfume

Nobody said anything to me about any kind of fragrance, etc. not to use etc. I took a shower the morning of my surgery and used Tone body wash, which has a fragrance but not much. It makes sense though, that whatever you put on your body pre-op is going to be there until you're really able to shower properly post-surg. So unless you want to be lying in bed two days post-op with two-day-old make-up, hair spray and stale perfume, etc., I would say to leave the fragrance alone until you're up and around after surgery. It might even be something to focus on -- getting that first shower post-op and being able to use some of your favorite perfume or body lotion for a little post-surg personal pampering
Unread 01-28-2002, 07:13 PM

Any areas that will have an incision will be thoroughly cleansed in the OR, so don't worry about any perfumed products irritating your skin or incision.

But keep in mind, the very LAST thing anyone will be paying attention to is how you look or how you smell. Try to save the good stuff for afterward...I took along some nice smelling lotion (Perlier Green Apple...very fresh and light). It helped cover up the icky hospital smells...but I only used it on my upper body and arms..away from anywhere it might irritate anything!

Check with the pre-op dept or your doctor if you really want to use something that morning...but I'd save it for when you can enjoy it.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 03:18 AM
Surgical Shower

I don't know about in the USA, but here one of the last things that happened before my op was the nurse gave me a sterile pack and I had to go and have a full surgical shower using only the materials in the sterile pack. So any perfume, fragrant soap, etc would not have mattered, it would have all been washed away.

Regards and best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 01-29-2002, 03:37 AM

I got my pre op instructions yesterday and it said to take a shower the morning of surgery with soap, but it didn't specify what type of soap, or scented or unscented, just use soap. I don't know if that means soap instead of some type of body bar, since it doesn't say specifically I'm going to use my regular soap, which happens to be Dial.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register