HRT and blood clots | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT and blood clots HRT and blood clots

Unread 09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
HRT and blood clots

I am seeing my doctor in a week to discuss HRT options (hot/cold flashes, sweats, etc). I have a history of blood clots and am wondering if anyone else does too and has had success with HRT and what type/dosage. I don't want to go on something that will cause other issues. I am 47 years young.

Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Re: HRT and blood clots

From what I have read, if you have a history of blood clots you should not do ert at all.
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Kim is right. I carry the Factor V Leiden gene (from both parents) and my hematologist will not let me take any form of hormone therapy. Do you have a hematologist? That may be a good place to start. One thing you could ask your doctor about is taking effexor or something similar. I took effexor for several years post op and it helped tremendously with my menopause symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM
HRT and blood clots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
Kim is right. I carry the Factor V Leiden gene (from both parents) and my hematologist will not let me take any form of hormone therapy. Do you have a hematologist? That may be a good place to start. One thing you could ask your doctor about is taking effexor or something similar. I took effexor for several years post op and it helped tremendously with my menopause symptoms.
I'm taking Lexapro, another drug in the same class as Effexor, and its working for me!
Unread 09-26-2012, 01:14 PM

Well, I'm confused. I thought one of the benefits of transdermal and one of the reasons for using it as opposed to oral, was that it did NOT increase risk of VTE as the oral does.

Have "they" now discovered something different?
Unread 09-26-2012, 02:09 PM
HRT and blood clots

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
Well, I'm confused. I thought one of the benefits of transdermal and one of the reasons for using it as opposed to oral, was that it did NOT increase risk of VTE as the oral does.

Have "they" now discovered something different?
I just read the black box warning on one of the drug apps on my IPhone for the Estraderm patch, and it clearly states that even the patch carries that risk for clots.
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM

I asked my hematologist if I could use the patch, and he said positively no. My experience with DVT was more than 11 years ago, so there may be something new since then. I'm not sure though.
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:39 PM

I know the black box warning is the same on all the estrogens and they don't differentiate b/t any of them...too much risk of lawsuit, but it's well known there are differences b/t the orals and transdermals that aren't just "mare" or "no mare".

It's been a while since I've read all these studies but what i remember is it has somehting to do with the orals hitting the liver too fast, too hard, too much. And you don't get this with the transdermals, esp low doses.

However, I would never recommend that someone go against their drs advice with such a serious issue.

Everyone needs to research, read and learn, question their drs and make their decisions/choices based on real info.
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanks for sharing everyone. It will be interesting what my doctor offers. Hot one minute, cold the next, sweating now too....how long does menepause last?
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
HRT and blood clots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargs View Post
Thanks for sharing everyone. It will be interesting what my doctor offers. Hot one minute, cold the next, sweating now too....how long does menepause last?
I was advised to chat with my close female relatives to see what their experiences were. The only women I can relate to are on my fathers side as my mom died from breast cancer at age 33, and she was the only girl. My aunts all had hot flashes "forever"! So dang comforting to look forward to, as I take after my fathers side of the family. If I can get away with Lexapro, I'll be happy. I took Aygestin for 3 months before surgery to control bleeding, and it had so many side effects! I already have high blood pressure, so hormones may not be in my future.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register