I am a basket case ! HELP - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a basket case !  HELP I am a basket case ! HELP

Unread 01-31-2002, 04:55 PM
i am a basket case

to all you LIW's,jacqui's right!!!! here's how i got to the date of my surgery without driving myself,and others,insane with the "what ifs"-i put my situation into god's hands,and trust me,i am far from a truly spiritual person on any given day,but she's absolutely right!!!! it's natural to wonder,and to worry,but it won't get you anywhere,anyway,so you may as well just put yourself into god's hands,and just trust that things will go as well as HE,and your surgeon,can make them!!! i went to a triduum at a nearby church which has a shrine to St. Peregrine(the cancer saint). for three nights,i prayed,and touched the exposed relic of his finger bone that the priest offered to all who attended. i had carcinoma in situ(cervical),and uterine fibroids. if any of you ever visit Philadelphia,Pa. on your travels,the shrine is located at:St Bartholomew R.C. Church; 5600 Jackson St.; Philadelphia,Pa. 19124. it's located just north of I-95 at the Bridge Street exit. the triduum is held each year,at the end of april,going into the beginning of may,the Feast of St.Peregrine,on May 3rd. having gone to it made me feel better able to deal with my situation. i was at peace with my decision,after that. i still had much to catch up on,and THAT stressed me out,but not obsessing about all that could occur on the table. at peace,ladies!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Me Too, Feb 13

I don't know what's wrong with me, at first I feel peaceful and then I start crying!! What the h*** is wrong with me??

My LSH is scheduled for 2/13/02, should be home 2/14..

Everything is in order for my kids to be taken care of, hubby is taking the 13th and the rest of the week off..have mom and m-i-l to help on the 13th and 14th getting kids to school and home again.

I think I am more worried about the pre-op appt at the hospital on Tues..the pre-op dr is a hoot though, he's been the pre-op dr for atleast the past 5 yrs..I am getting to know him well..lol!!

I AM worried that one my kids will get sick, or hubby will get sick prior to my surgery, that has happened twice to me..so my recovery took longer and they were minor compared to this.

I upped my Vit C and my kids (hoping that will help keep any viruses away)..I did tell the dr and he said "good idea, won't hurt".

Dr. didn't mention bowel prep, will the hospital? Geez, hope I don't have to have one at the hospital the morning of..rather would do it at home.

Carol I live right outside Phila, in Delaware County!!
I know where St. Bart's is, my husband works in Center City, I am a SAHM.
Unread 02-01-2002, 04:46 PM
doing some better -- not soooo nervous

I just wanted to let you LIW know that I do feel some what better -- the doctor called me in Buspar -- never heard of it but seems to be working. I am not nesting as much (of course there is nothing left to clean), still somewhat a b**** at times. I wish my surgery was closer but it will be here soon --- I too will spend Valentine's day being pampered -- DH has been a true angel despite the fact he probably thinks I am crazy.

I have my pre-op on Wednesday, the 6th --- I love my and think it will be fine.

Good luck to all you LIW - I will keep you in my prayers.

STILL WAITING!
Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Me Too!!!

I am a nervous wreck!!!!!! I am scheduled for Mon Feb 4 and the closer it gets the worse I get!! Did my pre-ops on Jan 30 and I think thats when it really hit me. I have continued to work but things are getting so stressful that I even had a panic attack at work!!!
I know that in the long run I will be better off, but in the mean time I think I might die of fright first!!!!!
Unread 02-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Hang in there

Kimba,

Hang in there. Just think next week at this time you'll be a and on your road to recovery. I will for you and all the other LIW. Good luck- I'm a week behind you. Let
me know how you get along (when you feel up to it).

s

Cindy
Unread 02-01-2002, 06:49 PM
I am a basket case ! HELP

Kimmba --

I understand your nervousness -- I wanted to let you know that you will be in our thoughts and prayers - wishing you the best and a very speedy recovery. You will be fine and more than likely be back on here with your story before my date at the castle. Take it easy and ENJOY your weekend.

We are here for you!

Angie
Unread 02-01-2002, 07:14 PM
pre-op worries

I worked really hard pre-op to get everything in place so all would be taken care of during my surgery and recovery. I worried about the surgery, etc. and I worried about everything that could go wrong with me sidelined -- I'm self-employed so, of course, I consider myself indispensible. And you know what? Stuff has gone wrong during my recovery -- not with myself or health, for which I'm grateful -- just in real life. But you know what? Stuff went wrong and the world didn't come to an end. I'm recovering and everything is going to be o.k. in the long run. What's that saying? Don't pet the sweaty stuff. No, wait. Don't sweat the petty stuff, yeah, that's it. Plan things to keep yourself occupied pre-op -- visit friends, make food to take to shut-ins, keep a pre-op journal to get some of this stuff off your mind. The days will pass before you know it. Good luck.
Unread 02-01-2002, 07:27 PM
i am a basket case! HELP!

hi!! the worst part of pre-op,for me,was getting everything done at work,to the best of my ability. i'm not a one-woman office,but sometimes,i felt that way!!!!! i felt panicky for a day or two,but all that did was make it take longer to be able to self-donate a pint of blood!!!! the American Red Cross doesn't want anyone donating a pint if they know there's even a REMOTE chance of them having heart attack or something during the donation. there aren't any doctors or nurses on-site. i had to get my GP to check me out,and fax the letter to the A R C that i was allowed to donate a pint,to myself. that cut into time i needed to relax and prepare myself mentally for the surgery. i was pretty much okay with having it done,after awhile,once i resigned myself to the need for it,but knowing i was going to be home for all those weeks,not allowed to do much of anything but sleep and read,or watch t v,kind of got to me,even though i was doing that "nesting" thing the other LIW's talk about!!!!! i have a mitral valve prolapse,and sometimes it acts up under extreme mental stress,and makes my chest hurt; not horribly so,where i need an ambulance to the E R,but it can hang around. this prevented me from donating blood when i wanted it done!! i'm fine,now,6 1/2 months post-op. hope you're getting better,and stronger!!!!
Unread 02-01-2002, 07:50 PM

My surgery is Tues Feb 5. I'm very sure of my decision. I'm very confident in my dr, and I feel very much at home at the hosp. I gave up trying to get the cleaning done when it became apparent that I wouldn't get it done, and seeing the unfinished list was making me crazy.

BUT as the days go by I get more emotional! I cry at anything . Watching the Animal Channel and seeing puppies going to new homes; anyone saying goodbye; watching the best superbowl commercials tonight and I cried when they showed the Coke commecial with "Mean Joe Green" and the little boy; Rosie's show ending in May. Then I think about not being able to see my grandson (he's 9 months old) for a couple of days and really cry. Today my daughter surprised me and told me she's working tomorrow so she can have Tuesday off, and how soon is she going to be able to see me, I cried like a baby.

I'll be so glad when this is over!
Unread 02-01-2002, 08:06 PM

Hi all

I go to the castle on 02/12/02 (love the number combination!).
I have my pre-op on 02/04/02. I have been very nervous for
a while, however, seem to be doing much better now.
I funnelled all my nervous energy into getting things ready for
my recovery. I no longer have children at home, so don't have
to worry about that aspect. What I've frantically been working
on is my will. I know it sounds very morbid and pessimistic,
but I think it's very practical. I have many things that are
sentimental to me - things that my husband would have no clue about. I want to make sure that these items go to where I want them to. By working on my will, it has kept me busy organizing
all kinds of paperwork that was previously just thrown into
misc. envelopes. I've also had some fun shopping for some new
items like a couple nightshirts, larger size panties, new robe,
pillows, etc.. Even though I was shopping for items that I will need during my recovery, it was relaxing for me - kinda like stepping into a different zone where I didn't really have to use my brain much !
Someone mentioned about working. I work full-time as an
eligibility worker for the welfare department. We are just swamped right now. Also, our whole building (well, not actually the building, but all the employees, desks, files, etc) is moving into a new building on March 1st. I'll be on my medical leave when they move, so I have to have my office all packed up when
I start my med leave ! I do find comfort in knowing that I'll be
missing out on all the excessive work and hassle of moving !!

I really don't think that I'm nervous about the actual surgery.
I've had surgery before so more-or-less know what to expect.
I'm trying to stay optimistic about it's outcome. I have started
a list of questions that I am giving my doctor right before I go
into surgery. It's questions like "did surgery go according to plan?", "did anything look cancerous?", etc...I'm writing them down because I know that she (GYN) will verbally answer the
questions as well as write them on the paper. This way, I'll be
able to look at the answer in a few days - after my head clears
a bit. I would suggest to the other LIW to write any and all
questions down on paper and give to your doctor. When I went
to my ultrasound appt on 01/04/02, I gave the dr a list of 45 questions. She answered every one. I have another list of questions to give her when I go to my pre-op appointment !
I guess I'm just the type that has to know about everything that is going to happen to me and how it will affect me.

Carolfromphilly - I know what panick attacks are like. I also have
Mitral valve prolapse and do experience attacks when super
stressed. Somehow - so far - I've managed to keep the attacks away though. I have a sinking feeling though that I might be
experiencing some as Feb. 12th draws nearer.

Kimba and Heather - Good Luck on Monday. I'll be thinking of you,
especially during my pre-op appointment !

Cindy(Tinny), Angie (dixiekajun - love the name), Janet,
Amanda, Anna, and Whitty - Hang in there. We all seem to deal
with stress in different ways. Hopefully we all find our niche
and will be able to relax some. My emotions are also waivering.
The other day, I was in a public restroom. There was a woman in
there changing the diaper of a 4 day old baby. I had to leave as
I began to cry. I started crying at work today for no reason at all
also. Guess I must have let myself remember that I had surgery
coming up soon. Helps me to keep busy, therefore, not having time to think about it. Good Luck with your surgeries.
I will be praying for all of you. There is relief in turning things
over to God.

Take care,
Dawn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register