I am a basket case ! HELP - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a basket case !  HELP I am a basket case ! HELP

Unread 02-01-2002, 08:39 PM
I am a basket case! HELP

hi!! i know how hard it is to keep focused,if you don't have a specific goal to center your energy on,and even though i did-trying to clear off my desk of old customer service credit issues,it still got to me,and i was so glad that the week before my surgery was my vacation week!!!!!! it was a welcome break,even though i'd be off all summer,with the exception of the first two weeks of july(well,not WHOLE weeks-had to use a lot of my time up before my week's vacation,doing doctor-things!!). it's hard,when you know you have to do something like that,and you're not going to be able to do everything,so you have to pick and choose. well,having put my situation in God's hands,i felt a lot better going in to the hospital. i didn't hurt anywhere near as much as i expected,even though i have a high pain threshold,anyway,and just from reading the posts from other princesses on the board afterward,the only thing that really got to me was the GAS!!!!!! that was worse than anything else i could even dream of!!! i was anxious about the anesthesia,since my two older sisters had gotten succinyl choline for anesthesia,and both of them woke up on respirators!!!!! i wasn't going there. i got fentanyl. great stuff!!!!! i was still somewhat high when i left the hospital 4 1/2 days later!!! be strong!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2002, 08:18 AM
thanks

Thank you all for all the encouragement!! Thank God I found this site. I am planning on spending the tomorrow (day before surgery) out with my daughters (11 and 14) Hopefully I will be able to take my mind off of Monday atleast for awhile.

Don't have a DH but I do have family and friends as my support system.

Rest assured you will probably hear from me again tomorrow night after everyone is asleep and I am going nuts
Unread 02-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Everything is going to be fine!

I have been reading replies to this and just wanted to say that I appreciate all the kind words. I know that waiting is the hardest part -- but I have a dear friend I met on this site (tcbrc5nc) that reminded me that God is bigger than this fear. After our talk I realized that I was trying to handle it all by myself and it isn't possible! I was worried about my house being a mess, my kids & DH being dressed in mismatched clothes, what would they eat without me - but I now have such a peace with this.

I know I have made the right decision and that everything will go planned. I wish all you dear sisters the same. I realize this is an emotional thing but if you turn it over to God you will be just fine!
Also, it okay to cry -- tears may do you good (they do me).

Good luck to all you LIW -- just think SOON we will be on the other side of this and think "WOW, I was a basket case for nothing"!

God Bless you all,
Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2002, 03:19 PM
I am a basket case ! HELP

Loved reading all the posts -- although all that talk of St. Bart's made me crave the one with beaches and palm trees! Take care all!
Unread 02-02-2002, 04:03 PM

Angie,

You will do great hun, we met in chat last night. I know its hard but all you LIW just try to keep busy the best way you can. Please come visit the chat room, it was and is always a great comfort for me and many other ladies out there. Best wishes to all you LIW for a speedy recovery.
Unread 02-02-2002, 04:11 PM

Now that I'm post-op something I wish I had done pre-op is cook food and put it in the freezer. I had barely three weeks to get ready and wished I'd had more time because I would have spent it cooking. So if you're pre-op and need something to occupy your mind and hands -- COOK AND FREEZE!!!
Unread 02-03-2002, 05:50 AM

I so understand the nerves going awry while waiting for the Big Day! I had a D&C and endometrial ablation in November (which wigged me out totally) and the pathology report showed precancerous cells in the D&C tissue. So I waited from Nov to Jan 23 for my vag hyst. Talk about a basket case! One would think working in a hospital that surgery would not be a big deal, but this was terrible! I worked the day before my surgery, which was a godsend, but there was always those underlying feelings of terror. It had nothing to do with getting rid of my uterus, it was the act of the surgery that blew me away! Let me tell you, if I was in the same situation, I would do it again. I feel so much better and apparently had really felt rotten for a long time. I cannot describe the freedom I feel; no more packing those feminine supplies everywhere-purse, glove compartment of the car, briefcase, drawers at work, both bathrooms adequately stocked, not to mention those emergency runs to KMart when supplies ran low! I have almost no discomfort; and certainly not like I had for over year. Think of all the positives: no more trying to plan vacations around a period, no running to the bathroom to check, wearing white pants with abandon, sex whenever, playing more than one round of golf with no worries, the list can go on and on! Just take care of yourself and follow the docs orders for post op to the letter! My thoughts are with you!
Unread 02-03-2002, 06:07 AM
waiting is the worst

Hang in there. I had a TAH and BSO Jan 21/02 the waiting had me totally freaked out. It by far was the worse part. I am a woman of size so certainly more than a little over my desired weight and I had no problems at all. Like you I started having troubles after my tubal. Heavy periods longer periods and several D&C to remove small fibroids. And like you because of the endo I was afraid about what they would find inside. Well let me say that I feel great I think I had read too much actually and had myself scared into a stuper. I have been luckey enough to have rebounded magnificiantly after my surgery, spent 5 days in the castle and really have been up and at it since then. I need to rest a couple of times a day but by no means have I been stuck in bed 24-7. So hang in there really the waiting is the worst, I kinda laughed when I heard it before the surgery but the ladies as usual were right.

Hugs

K8
Unread 02-03-2002, 07:50 AM
I am a basket case! HELP

hi,k8eblue!! you were right about not lying in bed 24/7!! worse thing you can do,is NOTHING. don't be up washing,ironing,etc,but don't just lie in bed,unless you have a post-op complication that puts you there,per the doctor!!!! i had my TAH in july,and felt fabulous within a few days,even with fever from a UTI(when the catheter came out,it started,so i got EXTRA,EXTRA,EXTRA antibiotic,because i have mitral valve prolapse,and have to be medicated up the wazoo!). take care of your physical needs that you don't need help with,and it might be a good idea to rent a cane or walker,if you need help getting up and around the first few days after surgery. i had asked to have it brought to the hospital,but nobody remembered to bring it with them. oh,well. i still learned the best way to propel myself out of bed without straining my abdominal incision,and i did really well. the nurses watched me,and complimented me on my technique!!!! it felt good to get up and move around,albeit a little stiffly at first!!! that,too,shall pass!!!! keep feeling good,and take care!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register