One week to go | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week to go One week to go

Unread 01-29-2002, 11:31 AM
One week to go

Feb 5 is the date, and I know I have a lot of company. I just checked the calendar and we are up to 27 Just think one week from today and it will be over, we'll finally be princesses and on the road to recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 04:49 PM
I'm with you girl!

I hear ya, Mary Lou! I'm telling you, though, this last week is dragging like molasses. In my case I'm SURE a lot of it has to do with having my first surgery date on January 15th, getting the flu, then having to be rescheduled for February 5th. I'll just be glad when it's over!!
Unread 01-29-2002, 04:57 PM
One week to go

That's my day too Seems like I've been waiting forever. I'm ready for it to be over with. I haven't gone hog wild with the cleaning and all that, I'll make sure the house work is done, but my family trashes my house in one afternoon without me around so I'm not going to worry about making it all perfect. I'm just trying to remember all the things I have to do like the vaginal cream perscription thing 3 days before and till surgery, motion sickness patch 2 days before, enima day before ugh, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 05:47 PM
Lisa....

Hi Lisa,

What's the vaginal cream and motion sickness patch for? I'm curious?
Unread 01-29-2002, 09:39 PM
One week to go

I'm not sure what this vaginal stuff is really. I still have to fill the perscription and the doctor didn't explain this one. I asked the girl at the front desk when I noticed the extra perscription and she said it was a cream to prevent infection, the perscription, which is hard to read says: cleocin vaginal ovules start 3 nights before surgery...?? And the motion sickness patch he said will help prevent nausea. He said they won't be flopping me around, that it helps with the nausea from anestisia and pain killers. Then the other directions say to buy a fleet's enema, liquid diet etc...
Unread 01-29-2002, 10:15 PM
One week to go

I havent had my pre- op yet, I go on Thursday. This is the first I've heard of the cream and motion sickness patches?
And can I ask a really stupid question. Where do you buy an enema thingy? Someone at work mentioned you have to drink something nasty that "cleans you out" too. Anyone else do that?
Gee, this all sound soooooooooo glamourous.
Unread 01-30-2002, 12:11 AM
One week to go

Well, I'm a lot more ready than I used to be, but I'm still getting pretty nervous. For a few days now when I check out the messages on the home page and see something written for the surgeries in the very near future, my tummy feels all funny and I automatically draw in my breath. I almost have to tell myself to breathe normally.

I do know a little about one kind of nasty stuff to drink, and the enema. If I remember right, you don't have to worry about where to get the enema thingy - your dr will probably give it to you or give you a prescription or note to take to a pharmacy. In the past I also had to drink some Fleets Phospho Soda. I was given a plain version once & had to drink 2 of these - so horribly salty I didn't think I could ever do it again. The last time, they tried to give me another of the plain ones & I refused. By this time I had asked around & a ginger-lemon flavor version was recommended, which was at all my local pharmacies on the shelf. This wasn't great, but was do-able.

My pre-op is Friday, so I haven't received specific instructions yet. I wonder if I should be eating prunes & soft food now, or if the clean-it-all-out-stuff will take care of everything.

27 of us, huh? On the 5th? That sounds like a lot. Is that more than usual?
Unread 01-30-2002, 07:47 AM
One week to go

Tuesdays seem to be the most popular day! Tues Jan 22 had 31! Tues Dec 11 had 38!! There are also some sisters who haven't put their date on the calendar.

I was told to buy the fleet enema and betadine douche at the grocery or drug store. I ought to check it out before Monday just in case I have to hunt for them.

I wasn't given any dietary instructions, except no food after midnight, but I think I'm going to eat light Monday and maybe Sunday also.

The enema and other wonderful pre op stuff varies, so until you get your instructions don't worry about what you may or may not have to take. If you plan on the enema, etc you'll be ready if they say you have to do it, and if there's stuff you don't have to do it's a bonus! (did that make sense?)
Unread 01-30-2002, 08:08 AM
One week to go

Since I have already gone though the pre-op preparation, I know what's coming down the pike for me. My doc prescribes Magnesium Sulfate for the laxative. I have to take it the day before surgery at noon. It's double the usual adult dose, 2 bottles. It's lemon lime flavored, supposedly, and it's bubbly and somewhat salty kind of like Alka Seltzer. Well, after two bottles of that, I thought it was going to come up the other way rather than going down. It only took about 30 minutes after I took it for my stomach to start rumbling and then all heck broke loose. EGAD!! It was a real bummer after they cancelled my surgery. That stuff stayed "active" for about 28 hours.
Unread 01-30-2002, 08:23 AM
One week to go

Ooooh Cindy, you had to take that stuff and you had the flu?? I'm sooo glad I don't have to take it. I'm getting a little nauseous just thinking about it. I'm also getting a little.... oh.... I don't know.... how about flakey?? Looney?? The problem is that I know I have a major downer coming. You know ... what goes up must come down? My way of dealing with things to come. Everything strikes me as funny today, tomorrow it'll make me cry. "Breeze by without the gas" (it's on another thread) really made me laugh.

But a little while ago my little grandson didn't want to fall asleep for his nap and I just looked at him and cried because I was thinking that next week he has to go to my mom's and I won't get to see him for a few days.

Sure is a roller coaster ride isn't it?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register