I am in a full blown panic.... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am in a full blown panic.... I am in a full blown panic....

Unread 01-29-2002, 04:03 PM
relaxation

Hi! I sure can relate to the pre-op panic! I had trouble sleeping for weeks until I bought a relaxation tape. I only listened to it a few times but I learned to relax. It was guided imagery, and it really worked! Once I got the hang of it, all I had to do was hear the lady's voice in my head, counting backward or whatever, and I could feel myself relax. I felt that this was a way I could contribute to the outcome of the surgery.

I am one week post-op, and I am feeling pretty good! I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do anything, but I can fix myself cereal, pop a meal in the microwave, and I have become a world-class napper! (It is going to be SO weird to go back to work in five weeks!)

I think at first I was afraid to relax, as though being vigilant 24 hours a day was going to keep the demons away. The relaxation tape was really helpful, and the concept of relaxation made sense once I could do it.

Best wishes to all you LIW! Take some nice deep breaths - aaahhhh.... :

- Flo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 05:41 PM
I am in a full blown panic....

{{{HUGS}}}}

Too bad you live far away...you could come and clean at my house!!!

This is the worst part....(really). If you can't get your gyn, get the nurse, and find out about the Xanax. I was able to take it right up until the morning of my surgery, when they told me to take a 1/2. If the doctor can't get back to you, tell the receptionist or whomever that you will hold on but you MUST have an answer on whether it's ok to take it. There's no reason for you to be kept waiting on a simple question!

This sounds simplistic, I know, but try taking a long brisk walk. Exercise can really help work out some of your anxiety. And bring your cell phone, so you can keep calling the doctor's office again and again until they help you.

HANG IN THERE, you're almost there!!!!! The end is in sight!!!

Karen
Unread 01-29-2002, 07:38 PM

OHHHHHHH GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!! Go to the movies, walk the dog.. walk yourself! Staying inside those four walls and worrying will just do you NO GOOD! Remember, you are doing this to improve your life so you can enjoy the world around you more... go out and take it all in and think WOW I am gonna do GREAT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 07:45 PM

I fully understand what your going thru....my surgery is monday the 4th, I to have cleaned, I cleaned my desk at work, cleaned bathrooms and refrigerator here at home. I can hardly concentrate at work. Yesterday I went out to my car in a kinda large parking lot and just went blank as hell as to what kind of vehicle I was driving. I felt so stupid, I haven't told anyone about that.
I went today to pre register at the hospital. One of my fears is being put to sleep.
I haven't slept much in the past week, and nothing to eat really intrest me, I just kinda go thru the motion.

Its great to have other folks who understand what your feeling without being so judgemental.

Just think this time next week, we will have it behind us.

Unread 01-29-2002, 07:51 PM
I'm still here

but I feel better (a little bit) I had a major crash when DH got home. And I was away from the kids. I went to sleep got a good 1 1/2 hr nap in. And then my DH's best friend called me )his wife went trhu this about 5 years ago) Ithink she told him I was having an attack and he got me doing the deep breathing relaxation. Had me laughing so hard I peed my pants AGAIN. And my son bless his heart he had me laughing too. And he brought a tear to my eye. We talked about how much better mommy will feel when I'm all better and how I will be able to play with him like I used too. And he keeps bringing me a teddy bear to hold onto. Me, the teddy bear and the tidy bowl man got the job done today. I'm sorry for scaring anyone especially the new ladies here. Was not my intention. Not sure if I will last till fri at 6 am. But I know that with the helpof my DH, my kids, friends and prayer I have a good shot. That li' twit that hasn't reached puberty yet called and said xanax was ok. Just not the mornign of. When I go tomorrow to pick up the papers dr might give me something better if i need it.
Thank you all for being there for me. I hope to repay all that you have given to me.
Unread 01-29-2002, 08:20 PM
Glad you're a bit better

Oso,

I am glad you have so much support. Laughter certainly helps. But I have to agree with the "GET OUT OF THE HOUSE" advice. I work from home and have felt a real need these past few days to get out. I have been getting up and driving my daugher to school and heading out to the beach. I sit in my car or get out if the weather allows, and get some air and enjoy the view, take some deep breaths and try to think about how good I will feel a month from now. You still have a couple of days to get out and enjoy. What I am fearing is that I won't be able to just hop in my car and head for the beach in the morning now.

I told my almost 17 year old daughter (Gawd, when I think of when I was 17, and what I was doing that she isn't thank GOD) today that when I had here and had the C section, it was easy to endure because you got that great cute "baby prize" at the end. This time, the prize is different. It's getting me back.

Sue
Unread 01-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Read these Posts for Assurance!!

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=49779

I don't know if this will work, but if it does, click on the link above to take you to some posts on how great it feels to have had the surgery!! Read some post-op posts too - there are tons about improved quality of life after surgery!!! I am in total agreement. I had TAH/BSO on 1/10/02 - almost three weeks ago. I am feeling suprisingly good and am so relieved I had the surgery and it is done!

I chose to have them take my ovaries - hopefully click on above link and read the post from me - pegp56. I explained my reason for choosing for the ovaries to go, though I know it is such a totally personal decision and many feel very strongly on both sides - to take or to leave, but this was how I came to my decision to have them taken out.

Hope these help! Waiting is the worst, worst, worst, part!!! You are almost there and will be so, so, so happy when it's done and over and you make it through beautifully and your quality of life improves, your health improves, you can come back and post how great you feel, etc., etc. !!!!!!!!!

Prayers, hugs, and well wishes to you oh so tired sweetie! You will hopefully be able to change to oh so happy, or oh so much better thank God, soon!

Peg

Unread 01-30-2002, 07:32 AM
Another idea

Go see a movie!

Two days before my hyst, I went to see the Lord of the Rings. I loved it! It was great fun, and got my mind on something else for a while. For days afterward, including in the hospital, my mind kept going back to the beautiful scenery and stirring music, the warm friendships and big themes in the movie.

Try not to be problem-oriented. Give your mind and body a treat!

Take care -- you will soon see why everyone says the waiting is the hardest part!

- Flo
Unread 01-30-2002, 07:51 AM

Dear Osotired:

Your "user name" is exactly what you need. Sounds as though all your cleaning should wear you out enough that you may catch an hour or two of peaceful sleep! What do you normally do for relaxation?

As a fellow "scared" lady in waiting in Ohio, I can only imagine the final countdown! Is your physcians office close to you? Maybe you should take a drive over to the office since the messages or returned phone calls don't seem to get delivered to the dr. I can't imagine that he would not call you back when he is aware that you suffer from panic attacks. My dad used to be a dr and he'd just have to take that 5 minutes to talk to a patient in the evening or between scheduled appointments. Call the witch at the desk one more time and tell her you will be coming in to the office and would like to know when dr will be able to see you. Don't ask....tell her. Then go and plan to sit. You may not be taken until the last appointment but they'll have to take you or they won't be going home.

GOOD LUCK. STAY IN TOUCH TODAY!
Unread 01-30-2002, 08:04 AM

I called the offie and told them I was coming in after a soon as I get my kids off the k-bus. And that I WAS picking up the leave papers, and that I would like something for my nerves. The "lit twit" didn't answer the phone maybe she got fired or they have caller ID. LOL But I was taken more seriously, and I was nicer so I'm sure that had something/or maybe everything to do with it.
And I plan on shopping today, and getting out of this house. Tomorrow evening after we send the kids off Dh and I will have a Date. Movie and relaxing. Thanks again for all the support, and sorry for scaring the LIW's.
K
soon to be - NOT osotired.
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register