considering hysterectomy and terrified! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

considering hysterectomy and terrified! considering hysterectomy and terrified!

Unread 01-29-2002, 08:18 PM
considering hysterectomy and terrified!

hi everyone i'm new here. have been having troubles for over 11 years with endometriosis and now have been diagnosed with fibroids am going to the gyno to discuss possible hysterectomy due to severe pain (have been out of work for a month already and am going crazy!) i want the hysterectomy to get my life back and be rid of pain but am terrified at all the negative info i am finding on the web hoping to find anyone here who has not had bad experiences and can reassure me i am making a good decision and may actually be better off than i am now. I am 31 years old. thanks in advance for any support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 08:27 PM

Hey you are in the right place for positive feedback! I was advised to have the hyst FIVE years ago and wouldnt do it because it was so "negative". WELL.. I am so ready now I can NOT WAIT! Of course you positively have to do what only YOU feel is best.. not because of what someone else told you, but I think when you read through this site you will become much more comfortable and optimistic about the surgery. Good luck!

Zesty
Unread 01-29-2002, 08:35 PM

Hi, I had a TVH on 10/24, and I feel wonderful. I had no problems with the surgery or recovery. I had been dealing with heavy bleeding, and pain for 6yrs. I am free of pain and discomfort and look forward to living a period free life.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 08:57 PM
Go Here for some Assurance!

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=49779

Click above for a very encouraging thread recently started - I know there will be more to come, plus read the post-op reports and some of the princesses specific stories for very encouraging and supportive words!

Hope this helps and best wishes for you!
Unread 01-29-2002, 08:57 PM

originally posted by punk08879
  Quote:
hoping to find anyone here who has not had bad experiences and can reassure me i am making a good decision and may actually be better off than i am now.
No one can reassure you that you are doing the right thing. This is a decision that both you and your doctor have to arrive at together. Ask questions. Get a second opinion. Read and educate yourself. Explore your options. Remember that this surgery comes with no guarantees and there's no going back, but whatever your final decision, you'll get the support you need here.

Best wishes,
Unread 01-29-2002, 10:12 PM
Terrified

I was advised 8 years ago to have a hysterectomy.I didn't listen. I've went through 8 years of misery and pain because of scary stories that my mother told me about her hyster. When I told her this month that I was finally going to do it ( the surgery ) because we had run out of options she started in on me again about all the horrible things that can happen. The lack of feeling, and things like that. That's when I found my way here. I have nothing but encouragement every step of the way. That's not to say I'm not scared, 'cause I am. I'm on the last week of countdown. I'm hopefully going to be able to keep my ovaries, and that's a big thing to me. : So get information every place you can, & don't let anyone make that decision for you. Don't worry, we're all here for you if you need to vent .

:
Unread 01-29-2002, 11:40 PM

I am nearly 5 weeks post-op and wanted you to know that
NOTHING concerning my surgery was anywhere close to what I was feeling the majority. This includes any pain or set-backs I have had to deal with. ( I am fighting an infection),

I waited nine years after I was told I needed surgery. I had heard the horror stories plus I was not much older than you are now. I also feared being on hormones. By waiting, I had to change doctors (mine was no longer on my PPO - but I did find another great doctor) and also they type of surgery (thus my potential recovery period). Originally, I could have probably had a vaginal surgery but wound up with a TAH/BSO. I had already been on hormones for about 4 years.

Yes, in some ways I wish I had done this when recommended and saved myself years of discomfort BUT I am glad that I waited until this was the option I knew was right for me. You are the only one who can decided what is right for you!

PS - I wound up having the opposite problem; everyone kept telling me to go for it and it would be the best thing for me.
Unread 01-30-2002, 06:42 AM

As Catherine said, this is an extremely important and personal decision, that only you and your doctor can make. If you are unsure, I would urge a second opinion. Make sure you get ALL your questions answered and are completely comfortable with your decision.

I am very glad I made the decision to have the hyst. I was 28, with no kids, but it was definitely the right decision for me. I feel wonderful now, and have a great life. Sex is great, I never have to worry about bleeding or pain, and I feel 100% woman!

Keep asking questions, and make the best decision for you!
Unread 01-31-2002, 01:51 AM

As Catherine and Chemyn both said, we can't tell you what's right for you. I can say that, having done my research and eliminated other possibilities through exploratory surgery, a hyst. was right for me, and I haven't regretted it for a single moment. Both surgery and recovery were uneventful, and I feel great. However, each of us has different circumstances and different issues. I sugget you search some of the threads on endometriosis. My understanding is that endometriosis is oestrogen related, which means a long-term solution would require the removal of your ovaries as well, and possibly a significant time without HRT to allow the endo to be killed off. That's a big thing to consider at your age.

A hyst is also, as others have said, a radical and permanent change to your body - it's important to be very sure that you are ready to make that change, with all its attendent costs, as well as its potential benefits.
Unread 01-31-2002, 10:38 AM

I went for a followup visit to my doctor yesterday and he asked me if I was glad I had done it - tah/bso. As I said, I wished I hadn't had a situation that required me going through it, but that given the situation that I was glad I had and that I did feel better. It is a very personal decision. But, one thing I liked about this site is that you will hear from many women who are happy they made the decision.

It will be 5 weeks tomorrow and I'm already okayed to do everything again. I have healed really well, an excellent recovery and feel healthy again. I've had no huge hormonal adjustments although I'm just now starting on hormone therapy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register