Got advise for you for gas and poohpooh problems post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got advise for you for gas and poohpooh problems post op Got advise for you for gas and poohpooh problems post op

Unread 01-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Got advise for you for gas and poohpooh problems post op

Hi, a nurse at my family doctors office gave me some good advise when I brought my son in the other day. She said to buy some glycerin suppositories for post op. She had this surgery, and she said going potty and the gas pain was really hard, and she said she'd use those suppositories whenever she had gas or needed to go #2 and it really helped. I know that they are really safe to use too because when my son was an infant, he was constipated and that's what I had to use on him. You can't over-dose with them, they don't have any harmful meds in it so u can use them just to pass gas if needed, like the nurse told me. Hope this relieves some of you and me next week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2002, 03:03 AM

Thank you for the input from the nurse. As always, please ask your own doctor who will be doing your surgery before doing anything post-op. Everyone is very different and your doctor needs to be the one who makes decisions for your own recovery.
Unread 01-30-2002, 07:08 AM

Always, ALWAYS, ask your Doctor first!

You need to ask PRE-surgery because some meds CAN CHANGE THINGS WITH THE ANESTHESIA OR THE SURGICAL PROCEDURE..
We don't want any surprises there!

You need to ask POST-surgery for lots of reasons. Some I can think of :

Your Dr. needs to be informed and up to date on your progress and challenges following surgery.

He/She may have specific suggestions that will work best for your particular surgery, set of circumstances, etc..

Dr. might have further suggestions that will be helpful.

Dr. can also check for any possible drug interactions.

Don't make any assumptions. Let the experts sort it out. It's what you are paying them for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2002, 12:36 PM

I agree with LisaJean about having the suppositories available. The nurse gave me one in the hospital to help the gas get started, and I had to use them twice after coming home to help me go! It truly did help me even though I hated the thought of using them.

HOWEVER, this was on a list of approved remedies for constipation given to me by my surgeon. Do check with the doctor first.

Joanie
Unread 01-30-2002, 02:12 PM

Yea, check with the doctor first. I guess because I've already checked them out when my son was an infant, I already know that they are super safe. They just attract moisture. It's like lotion for your butt My mom had trouble going to the bathroom after her kidney transplant and they are so picky after a transplant that when she sent me to the store to get her something I was scared to death what to buy. I talked to the pharmacist who said if her doc approved the others, she could use something stronger, but that the only thing that was totally safe to use was the glycerin suppositories. But of course, some person out there could be allergic to glycerin or something, so I'm sure it's not for everyone.
Unread 01-30-2002, 02:58 PM

While glycerin suppositories are relatively safe, please be careful. I worked in a pediatrician's office until about a year ago, and we only recommended the suppositories for constipation and for OCCASIONAL USE ONLY. You don't want to use it too often because your bowels could become dependant on having to have something in order to have a BM.

However, my dr did prescribe me a glycerin suppository the day after my surgery because my abdomen was still so swollen from the gas put in during surgery. So, I know first hand that it does work for gas relief too. What I'm just trying to say is please check with your dr before using anything, especially during the early weeks following surgery and that if something ends up becoming needed on a regular basis, your dr needs to know about that too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register