Previous blood clots (dvt) now on medication to thin blood | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Previous blood clots (dvt) now on medication to thin blood Previous blood clots (dvt) now on medication to thin blood

Unread 01-30-2002, 08:30 AM
Previous blood clots (dvt) now on medication to thin blood

Has any one out there been on blood thinners because of dvt's prior to having TAH. I was told I will have to stop the blood thinners prior to surgery Feb. 11 th then start them after the surgery. Any one been through this? Any information would be great!!

Cathi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Previous blood clots (dvt) now on medication to thin blood

Cathi, you might want to consider posting this one on the post-op board as well, I'm pretty sure some of the sisters over there have posted having DVT's, or maybe look up "blood clot" of "dvt" on the search for specific past threads.
Good Luck with your upcoming surgery. I think almost all people on coumadin or heparin must stop before surgery. Even BCP's and many many other meds are stopped well before surgery.
And to all the pre-op sisters-----to help prevent, remember to do your leg excersises, point and flex your feet etc etc and deep breathe and cough regularly to avoid blood clots and post-op pneumonia, no matter how bad you feel. I forced myself to, by doing the excerises given to me at my preop. I did notice though the staff doesnt remind you to do that, so it's up to you (well in some places maybe)
Good Luck again !!
Unread 01-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Cathi

I am 8 weeks post op (tvh) and have been taking blood thinners for 7 years now.
I was put into hospital on the sunday Dec 2nd, and was operated on the Wednesday Dec 5th. I was put in early to be taken off Warfarin (blood thinner) and to be placed on Heparin. They will check your blood levels daily to make sure they are right for the surgery, if they arent right they will put off your surgery for the next day or until they are right.
Are you going to have a general or what, they wanted to do a spinal on me but couldnt find the space between the bones. So I ended up having a general.
After surgery they kept me on Heparin till my Warfarin levels came up to the right level. So at a stage I was taking my med's (warfarin) and also getting Heparin through an IV. They doubled my dose of warfarin the first couple of days.
I was out of hospital the 8th Dec, so all up around a week I was in the hospital.
Needless to say I came through the surgery with flying colours, every day I feel better and better.

All the best
Hugs
JudyS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register