Tummy writing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tummy writing Tummy writing

Unread 01-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Tummy writing

To write a note on my tummy, what kind of pen should I use? Permanent fine line? I remember reading someone's post about writing a note to the dr on her tummy, & I'm seriously considering it. Should I wait to see if the hospital shaves me after I'm in my room, or do it at home? What did you (tummy writer) do?

I'm thinking about a serious note like: "I'd like to keep cervix & ovary(ies) if possible." Or, might that get dr upset that I think she won't remember? :confuse:

A funny note might be nice too, except I haven't thought of anything yet. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2002, 01:50 PM
funny notes

I read a post about a week or so ago about the same topic, one suggestion which I thought was really good, was to put your message on a sticky note, then just stick it on yourself right before you go in.
I think humor is much better suited for that type of situation. Of course it depends on the doctor! I am going to put a sticky on me, but I haven't decided what its going to say yet, I think maybe
fragile, handle w/ care, or entering construction zone. :caution:
There's lots of funny things to say, that will encourage them I think.

Have fun!!

Nicole
Unread 01-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Tummy writing

Hi Susan,

I agree that something funny might go over better with the dr & hospital staff. Someone on here said they were puttng a post-it note that said something like, "Caution! Uterus bites!" I thought that was hilarious!!!

I wouldn't recommend shaving yourself. Let the nurse at the hospital do it. You wouldn't want to risk nicking yourself and end up with an infection there. There are also creams used for removing hair in the bikini area that are pretty safe. Then again, they may shave you again anyway just to make sure the stubs are gone. Of course, if you'd really rather do it yourself, you could always call & ask your dr if it's ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2002, 03:59 PM
Tummy writing

Hi Susan,

I did write a message on my tummy for the doctor and I used a permanent marker. The doctor and OR staff thought it was great. It mostly washed off with the betadine in prep, but the point was made and we were off to a laughing start.

Hope your surgery goes well! Come to the chat room and let us know what you decided to do and how it went!

s
Karyn
Unread 01-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Tummy writing

If you get clever (or even if you don't), be sure what you write is clear and unambiguous.

For instance "Keep ovaries" could mean "I'm planning on keeping my ovaries", or "Keep 'em, I'm done with 'em." Something like "TAH ONLY, do not take ovaries" might be better.

I was having a TAH *ONLY*, but a couple of times (like my pre-op appointment) my doctor mentioned needing to discuss post-surgical menopause with me... Uh... Doc? You're not taking my ovaries, remember? At the hospital I told everyone (nurses, anesthesiologist...) that I was planning to KEEP my ovaries, and to make sure the doctor didn't get his wires crossed and try to take them. I also wrote a note about that, and about all my drug allergies, on my arm near the arm-band. I thought maybe if I wrote on my tummy they would wash it off. If I wrote on my thigh, it might be covered up... So I opted for the arm.

Don't worry about offending your doctor. I like my doctor - he's irreverent, and scatterbrained, but technically skilled and straightforward. In pre-op I told him about the note on my arm, and that I had put it there because both of us (me, and him) would be much happier post-op if only the right stuff got removed. Better safe than sorry, I think.
Unread 01-30-2002, 06:26 PM
Tummy writing

I too am planning on the post-it note. I'm going to leave my doc instructions:

Dr B.:
I know you've done this many times before, but I not on me. I am "unique" as you have told me, so I thought I would help you out by including the "recipe" to make me better:

1. Open here (with arrow) 2. Remove yucky stuff 3. close package tightly, using your best handiwork (you never know who might see the end results!) 4. Afraid of the pain, so give me DRUGS!!

I have all the confidence in the world in you, and thanks! I'll catch you on the flipside, a new woman!

I know my doc pretty well, and he is going to crack up (I'm always asking him "but what about...")
Unread 01-30-2002, 06:36 PM
Tummy writing

With all the mistakes made out there, that's a thought. I got worried when I was in for my laproscopic surgery. They had me walk in, pee in a cup, and go lay on a stretcher in a huge room where there were about 20 other people laying on stretchers waiting to go in for surgery too. The nurse came in pulled the curtain and told me to put on the hospital gown. She came back and shave me a tiny bit, then I sat there and watched the anestisiologists(sp?) go from person to person. I was freaking because I didn't have an arm band thing or anything and they were going to drug me and who knows what kind of surgery I'd end up with. Well, when the anestisiologist got to me, she had my arm band and went over all the information on it and my chart, then put it on me before drugging me....whew, I felt alot better after that. Then they woke me up in the operating room and told me to say hi to my doctor, and I remember being thrilled to see him because I was scared and he was the only familiar face.
Unread 01-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Hee hee ;)

I'm going with a Post-It-Note that says:

"Caution!
Contents under
extreme Pressure,
and Happy to be here!"

:caution: LOL

Cyster Ter :dragon:
Unread 01-31-2002, 01:58 PM
Tummy Notes

Thank you, gals, all of you. You've given me some good ideas. I have a few days to personalize the one(s) I use.

These little details help me feel more involved in the process, part of the team responsible for the best outcome. And I thank you all for being on my team too.
s

Wow - I've been reading & posting for a couple of months now, & I've just noticed the smilies are in alphabetical order! That'll help me locate what I want.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register