When Can I Lie on my Tummy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When Can I Lie on my Tummy When Can I Lie on my Tummy

Unread 01-31-2002, 07:01 AM
When Can I Lie on my Tummy

How long was it before some of you veteren sisters could lay on your stomaches without pain or worry.
This is my favourite sleeping position ( I will ask my doctor but since he's never had a hysterectomy he wont know how it feels ) and I miss it. I have been getting braver by moving more on my side towards the stomache.
Sometimes I find it really hard to get to sleep because I am so used to falling right asleep by being on my stomache.
I think the swellybelly will cushion the blow somewhat but I was wondering if it is safe, thanks! (I'm 3 and half weeks post op)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2002, 07:18 AM

Hi mj64, I couldn't really sleep on my tummy for about 3 weeks then just suddenly woke up that way one night. But I was asked by my doctor to lay on my stomach in the hospital at 2 days post op to help relieve gas that wouldn't move, (Yes, it worked) so I knew that once I could do it comfortablly, then it wouldn't be a problem as far as hurting anything. It was hard to get to my stomach to relieve gas pains, but once I got there I was ok, it would work, then I would get my DH to help me get back up. It's just such an awkward feeling trying to move like that and not feel like you are popping everything inside.
Unread 01-31-2002, 07:56 AM

Thanks for your response, now I am going to try it. I've been "halfway" on it anyways.
I'm impressed that you could do this at 2 days post-op. Maybe the numbness around the incision helped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2002, 08:13 AM

I will be 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and have been sleeping on my tummy for the last 3 nights. It is slowing moving getting there - but once there feels ok.
Unread 01-31-2002, 08:19 AM

I had surgery on 1/10 and have been sleeping on my stomach for a while. I started out on my side and just ended up there one night. I believe it was like about 4 days after surgery. It was tender, but didn't really hurt. I was just afraid I would mess something up in there by sleeping on tummy. But I kept waking up on tummy. hehehe. Guess it just depends on individual and if it hurts you or not.

hugs to you all
Snow
Unread 01-31-2002, 09:03 AM

Hey there! I am 5 weeks post op and am also a tummy sleeper. I started out in the hospital getting on my side with a bunch of pillows around me. When I came home did the same thing for a couple of nights and eventually ended up on my tummy. It was within the first days home and didnt hurt a bit. It was a little harder getting out of bed that way but well worth it cause I slept so much better.
Unread 01-31-2002, 09:08 AM
I never sleep on my tummy but...

I work up in the middle of the night on my 5th day post-op laying on my stomach. It didn't hurt, wasn't even uncomfortable.

Shay
Unread 01-31-2002, 09:42 AM

Hello
I had my TAH/BSO surgery the same day as you, and I have been sleeping on my stomach for about a week now. It actually makes my tummy feel better...kinda like its holding everything in compact.
Now the sleeping part is still hard to me.....I have a horrible time falling asleep at night, even with sleep meds. But when I do sleep, being on my tummy is not a problem.
Good luck and take care.....Dee
Unread 01-31-2002, 11:40 AM

I am 3 1/2 weeks too and sleep on my tummy for over a week now. At first, with leg raised and pillow under that leg to not put pressure on tummy and a pillow to hug. Now, it doesn't bother me at all to sleep on it. I think, and I could be very wrong about it, its according to whether you had a vertical or horizontal cut too. The very low horitontal "bikini cut", seems to not involve as much time for the muscles to recover.
Unread 02-01-2002, 07:47 AM

I'm 11 days post-op (it feels like 11 weeks) I too like to sleep on my stomach but have been afraid to. I've been banned to the couch because I sleep on a waterbed---not good--no support. I'm tempted to try toight. I so miss my warm bed.

wish me luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register