Fleet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-31-2002, 07:05 AM
Fleet?

I was told to use the fleet enema before I left for the castle and I was just wondering how long before it starts working....I have a 45min to 1 hr drive to the castle. I don't want any emergencies on the way there. What were some of your experiances?

Please help.......

I'm am definately starting to get freaked out....last night I dreamed of all the things that could go wrong......so of course I did not sleep too well....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2002, 07:25 AM
Fleets

I had to do the same thing. They recommended to do it 2 hours before bed-time the night before. It took only a few minutes for it to start working. Just stay close to the bathroom. That was my only experience with an enema and I think I did it right. Good luck!!!

KD
Unread 01-31-2002, 08:42 AM
Fleet?

My experience with the fleet enema was that it only took about 5 minutes before I just HAD to be on the throne. I think in general they work pretty fast, Mary.. If they want you to do it on the morning of your surgery, I would definitely use it at least 2 hours before you leave. It should have worked everything "out" by the time you have to leave for the castle....

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2002, 10:11 AM
Fleet?

Thanks for the advice....unfortunately I have to leave my house at 7am, so that will mean 5 am......mean a really long day...my appointment to the throne is at 10am..

:alarm:
Unread 01-31-2002, 10:28 AM
Fleet?

Check with your doctor and see if you can do the night before. I had to drink a bottle of citrate of magnesia the afternoon before my surgery and then do a fleet at 8P the night before. The majority of everything went through me by midnight, but I still went several times the next morning. I even had to go to the bathroom twice while waiting to go to the o.r. As long as you haven't been eating, there should be no chance of something not having made its way out of you. Explain the length of the drive to your doctor. I do not see how you can possibly wait until the morning of surgery.
Unread 01-31-2002, 11:25 AM
Fleet?

Thanks, I'll do that....
Unread 01-31-2002, 11:50 AM
Sleepy

Just talked to my dr office and she says I need to do the fe in the morning before I go to the castle.......but I guess I'll get lots of rest after 10am........

I guess I'll be doing this........:run2:
Unread 01-31-2002, 12:31 PM
Fleet?

Hello!

I had to do a Fleets Enema also. I had to do mine the night before. I got a great tip from one of the other sisters and thought I would pass it along to you. She said to warm it up under warm water in the sink. That way you don't have to freeze your bum off. I thought it was a great tip! It worked well.

Best wishes to you!

Monica
Unread 01-31-2002, 03:21 PM
Curious??

Is it usual to have an enema prior to surgery?? I don't go for mine til April, but I just checked the pre-op instructions sheet and it doesn't mention anything about an enema. I also go for gall bladder surgery next week, and I don't have to for that either, nor did I have to when I had my ovary removed. On that occasion I had gone in for day surgery on Wed. pm and ended up staying til Mon.afternoon, and even with all the walking, special teas, tablets and a suppository on Sun. pm, it was Mon. am before I went to the bathroom. I'm really hoping that things start moving much faster this time. I'm also hoping that my day surgery next week is just that!!
Unread 01-31-2002, 05:02 PM
Fleet?

I had a hysterectomy on the 7th of January. I took the fleet the night before, about 9:00 pm, took about 10 minutes for it to start working and I was empty within an hour. I went to bed and then drove to the hospital early the next morning. That was the easiest part of the entire thing.

Good luck with your surgery, it's not bad at all, its the recovery to me that is the hard part.

Sue Farris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register