What age do doctors stop estrogen therapy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What age do doctors stop estrogen therapy? What age do doctors stop estrogen therapy?

Unread 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM
What age do doctors stop estrogen therapy?

Hi,

I've been on estrogen therapy for about 6 months. Not really helping with the hot flashes but it helps with the emotional rollercoaster and insomnia. Does anybody know what age doctors wean you off the estrogen therapy?

Thanks,
Jeanine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Re: What age do doctors stop estrogen therapy?

Dear Lord, but have I had good luck this year with messages on Hystersisters. I come here anticipating I'll ask a question no one will "get," and then not only do I see the verbatim question, but I no longer feel so alone.

I am 56. My screen name, ThreeYearsAgo, was chosen in 2004, when (for some reason), I couldn't log on under my original name. My laparoscopic total hysterectomy in August, 2001, sent me into a physiological decline so severe that, to this day, I credit Hystersisters with saving my life. (I began to use Progesterone Cream as well as the estradiol I took on a daily basis.)

This past autumn, I posted here about not being able to find reliable and affordable Progesterone Cream (my brand, "Femgest," is no longer being produced). Now my new female, same-age PCP is talking about "reducing" my estrogen.

I saw her last week, and when I heard this, I thought I was going to keel over--for the exact reason you cite: insomnia and (for me) depression. I told her this, and she waited a while, and then said, "Well, we'll reduce your dosage" (it is currently 1 mg. daily). I said I was begging her to have some mercy on me, because life doesn't get easier as you get older, and if a medication helps you, then it is positively terrifying to hear your doctor talk about "weaning" you from it. It's cruel.

I offered to sign a waiver, reminded her of the recent medical study that showed that women who have had total hysterectomies, if cancer-free at ten years past surgery, and on estrogen, can relax about taking it. Finally, she agreed to continue prescribing it, but I have a feeling the issue will be raised again.

My mammograms have been normal. In fact, I have had less trips to a surgeon to have cysts and other artifacts checked out the older I get than I had when I still had my uterus and ovaries. I am terrified of being deprived of medication I need.

So my question is the same as yours, but also: If an (American) woman is deprived of estrogen by the choice of her doctor--not herself--what alternatives are there? I'm a relatively new patient of this woman's, having been with my former physician for sixteen years. I don't like to "doctor-hop."

Can estrogen be bought online? I have no intention of ever living without this medication and am more than willing to do everything humanly possible to reassure a physician that I will/would hold her or him harmless.

Ten years ago, you all saved my life--literally. Please, if anyone has been in this situation--where something isn't broke, and a doctor takes it upon herself to fix it--can you offer some advice or URLs or testimonies about what you have done?

Thank you so much for reading this; and God Bless.
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Most doctors say you can be on it as long as you need it, and your health or family history will allow it. My doctor said as long as I had hot flashes that bothered me I could stay on it.
You might talk to your doctor if your estrogen is not helping hot flashes, sometimes dose adjustment or change in type of delivery is needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM

The pamphlet I got with my estrodiol said it isn't recommended for long term use. I'm 45 and having surgery tomorrowand have been wondering what is considered long term use. I don't know how I'll go yet, but can't see myself doing well without it. I already struggle with depression due to bipolar, so certainly don't need extra hormonal changes to exacerbate it :S
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:01 PM
What age do doctors stop estrogen therapy?

Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I was hoping I wouldn't be on the therapy long but I guess I'll have to rethink that. I hope you all feel better soon. I hope doctors start considering these quality of life issues soon! We are more than hysterectomy patients!

Blessings,
Jeanine
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:49 PM

I've been on since the late 80's. I tried to stop and was a total train wreck. If my Dr. told me I had to stop and there wasn't a valid reason, I would ABSOLUTELY find another Dr. to give me what I needed. I left my Dr. of 14 years for some of these very issues.
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:01 AM

Thank you, E2Me2. I'm really so stranded. This year has brought a truckload of real sorrows, and if this uncongenial doctor were even the only one, it would feel overwhelming. I suppose I can phone around and ask receptionists over the phone (in doctor's offices); I just don't know how I'd be received in my mid-size town, with its unsophisticated mentality.
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Smile - What age do doctors stop estrogen therapy? Re: What age do doctors stop estrogen therapy?

Hi. I was advised to stop my Estraderm 50 patch at 55 after using it for about 15 years. This is UK but have become aware that other countries have different guide lines, I didn't want to stop, the darn menopause kicked in and have wondered if it was responsible for the prolapses I have been dealing with for the last few years. Now using Vagifem, which is good, very good actually, but still tired all the time, sleep quality is poor, what are we to do? At 61 my ovaries won't be working as they used to be, I felt so much better when using the patches, why can't we just carry on if the benefits are there, not a 'medical person' but have a family history of heart disease and osteoporosis which it is supposed to help prevent. Sorry girls, rant over. Xxx C
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeYearsAgo View Post
Thank you, E2Me2. I'm really so stranded. This year has brought a truckload of real sorrows, and if this uncongenial doctor were even the only one, it would feel overwhelming. I suppose I can phone around and ask receptionists over the phone (in doctor's offices); I just don't know how I'd be received in my mid-size town, with its unsophisticated mentality.
Just try to remember that it is YOU that's hiring the Dr., not the other way around. We worry a lot about what they think, when in fact, they should be worrying much more about how we feel. It's your right to feel well and if one Dr. can't help I'm sure there's one who can.
Unread 10-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeYearsAgo View Post
Dear Lord, but have I had good luck this year with messages on Hystersisters. I come here anticipating I'll ask a question no one will "get," and then not only do I see the verbatim question, but I no longer feel so alone.

I am 56. My screen name, ThreeYearsAgo, was chosen in 2004, when (for some reason), I couldn't log on under my original name. My laparoscopic total hysterectomy in August, 2001, sent me into a physiological decline so severe that, to this day, I credit Hystersisters with saving my life. (I began to use Progesterone Cream as well as the estradiol I took on a daily basis.)

This past autumn, I posted here about not being able to find reliable and affordable Progesterone Cream (my brand, "Femgest," is no longer being produced). Now my new female, same-age PCP is talking about "reducing" my estrogen.

I saw her last week, and when I heard this, I thought I was going to keel over--for the exact reason you cite: insomnia and (for me) depression. I told her this, and she waited a while, and then said, "Well, we'll reduce your dosage" (it is currently 1 mg. daily). I said I was begging her to have some mercy on me, because life doesn't get easier as you get older, and if a medication helps you, then it is positively terrifying to hear your doctor talk about "weaning" you from it. It's cruel.

I offered to sign a waiver, reminded her of the recent medical study that showed that women who have had total hysterectomies, if cancer-free at ten years past surgery, and on estrogen, can relax about taking it. Finally, she agreed to continue prescribing it, but I have a feeling the issue will be raised again.

My mammograms have been normal. In fact, I have had less trips to a surgeon to have cysts and other artifacts checked out the older I get than I had when I still had my uterus and ovaries. I am terrified of being deprived of medication I need.

So my question is the same as yours, but also: If an (American) woman is deprived of estrogen by the choice of her doctor--not herself--what alternatives are there? I'm a relatively new patient of this woman's, having been with my former physician for sixteen years. I don't like to "doctor-hop."

Can estrogen be bought online? I have no intention of ever living without this medication and am more than willing to do everything humanly possible to reassure a physician that I will/would hold her or him harmless.

Ten years ago, you all saved my life--literally. Please, if anyone has been in this situation--where something isn't broke, and a doctor takes it upon herself to fix it--can you offer some advice or URLs or testimonies about what you have done?

Thank you so much for reading this; and God Bless.
dont understand these doctors. are they caring about the patient or for themselves ?

would it be helpful if you asked the pharmacist which doctor actively dispenses ert ? i know the compounding pharmacies give such information, what about the conventional pharmacies ?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register