Waiting for menopause symptoms?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waiting for menopause symptoms?? Waiting for menopause symptoms??

Unread 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Waiting for menopause symptoms??

I am 51 and had a total hysterectomy (ovaries removed too) on Oct. 5. I was not put on any HRT. It has been 12 days post-op, and I have not really experienced any of the typical menopause symptoms yet? I have only had 3 nights with "night sweats". I have never had any hot flashes pre-op, so maybe I won't have them?? Has anyone else experienced this same type of thing? As I was told by my doctor and nurses that the symptoms of surgical menopause would start within 2-3 days post-op. I feel like I'm waiting for the "bomb to hit"!! I appreciate your replies!! Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Re: Waiting for menopause symptoms??

Hi, I also had a total hysterectomy on Oct. 1st, and I am 48. So far, I haven't had any symptoms of menopause, unless headaches are a symptom. No hot flashes yet (hopefully they won't come!). The only thing I have had are headaches, almost every day. They aren't severe, just annoying and they go away for awhile during the day after taking Excedrin. I don't know if that is common for menopause or not.
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:38 PM

I had a elected TAH/BSO on November 23, 2011 at age 46 due to a BRCA 2 positive result, and I too waited and waited for the dreaded menopause symptoms to begin. I started with headaches nearly every day and my skin also felt very itchy especially the nape of my neck. I had a weird taste in my mouth too. I really didn't think anything of it until I saw the list of menopause symptoms listed on this website. Lo and behold, they were all symptoms. The hot flashes followed by really cold flashes started a good couple weeks after my surgery. Thanks goodness, it is nothing that I can't handle and is just a pain in the butt every once and awhile.
I hope this helps a little. Best of luck in your recovery period. Remember to not over due it. I felt so good, that I thought I could get up and get back to my normal routines. Boy, did my body let me know that it wasn't ready for that yet! Make sure you rest when your body tells you to.
Hope this helps just a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2012, 03:11 AM

I am 5 and 1/2 weeks post op I have had one night in the hospital with night sweats and maybe 2 at home but I sleep with hot water bottles so I may just be over heating . It's not so bad that it stops me sleeping. If I have had hot flashes they are only a occasional warm face , nothing bad. I feel just the same as before surgery as I would wake up sometimes in the night over heating from my hot water bottles.
I have experienced what I thought was hot flushes pre op when I was on provera when my whole face and neck went red and I felt really hot so I do think I know what a full blown flush feels like. So for me I am still waiting and wondering is this it or is it still going to happen .
However I do get emotional symptoms getting more easily upset and find myself getting more teary at tv shows and movies etc. xx
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the replies!! Who knows? Menopause is different for everyone, so I am just hoping that if/when the symptoms start, that they will be tolerable. I am feeling a bit more teary eyed, but I am only 2 weeks post op today, so I also think it might have been the meds, exhaustion, recovery, that may have contributed. Only time will tell! Good luck and best of health to all of you!!
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Keep in mind, night sweats can occur from anesthesia and a wide variety of other issues as well. Even men can have night sweats following surgery.

The whole trauma of surgery, medications, change in diet and sleep habits, etc. can also combine to cause some symptoms which my not necessarily be menopause but more your body adjusting to the surgery and recovery. Thus, giving it some type can be a good idea, especially for women who were closer to natural menopause.

Keeping a journal of your symptoms can also help you determine if and when it might be time to consider HRT or other option.

Unread 10-22-2012, 11:16 AM

I am just over a week from having BSO and I have had a headache since surgery. Doc started me on low dose of estrodial and I had the worst headache yesterday I have had in my life. I didn' take the estrogen last night but still have headache and nauseated today.
Kwoods other than the headache the only thing I have had is a few night sweats. Oh and my back hurts a good bit too.
Unread 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM

I had my surgery in April, my symptoms started right away, I had the night sweats, headaches, and emotional changes. I would and still do get all choked up at TV shows or sometimes even hearing a feel good story, this was so not typical of me before surgery. I am on a low dose of estradiol and that does seem to help with the hot flashes, makes them very tolerable but it seems to have provoked the headaches. My best friend also had the same surgery a week after mine and has not had any symptoms what-so-ever so like a previous poster had said, everyone is different. Remember to not do to much, it can be easy to think you are healing faster than what your are. Take Care
Unread 10-22-2012, 01:00 PM

I had a TAH/BSO on May 30 2012. I came home 2 days later on Friday and by Monday my family was ready to ship me off to a mood-swinging ward somewhere! My moods and my body temperature were both swinging from one extreme to the next. My doctor and I talked pre-surgery about this and I had to see him on that Monday (good thing). I told him I needed that Estradiol for my husband's sanity
Unread 10-22-2012, 01:09 PM

I am 38 years old and had a LSH BSO on Sept 14, 2012. I had night sweats and hot flashes very shortly after surgery. I was put on low dose HRT a week after surgery, and in about 2 to 3 weeks I felt great relief from my symptoms.

I've had people make rude comments to me about taking hormones, but I feel it's a very personal choice. Whether a woman chooses to or not - we need to respect each other's choices. For me I feel it's a good thing and helpful not also with curbing surgical menopause symptoms, but it also helps my general energy and well being.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register