No Instructions About "Prep" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Instructions About "Prep" No Instructions About "Prep"

Unread 01-31-2002, 05:57 PM
No Instructions About "Prep"

I have been reading many of the posts here and there are a lot of you who have had a prep of some sort. I met w/ my doc and she just said to call her if I have questions and be at the hospital 2 hrs before my surgery. No mention of what to eat, enemas, etc. I had blood work done in late November. Maybe she doesn't think I need it again. So, I will be having a TAH/BSO on 2/26. I am usually constipated (go every other day). I have always been like this but after reading posts, I'm scared of the after effects with the constipation/gas. I was planning to be on a liquid diet 2 days prior to Surgery so I won't have a hard time. Have any of you done this? I was wondering if I shoud give myself an enema or laxative too.

I will be going to buy new PJs, pillows and new sheets. From your experience, what else do you recommend. What to take for hospital, goody bag for staff....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2002, 06:28 PM

Hi, Browniz,

The prep question sounds like a good one for your doctor. I'd call them, and ask.

A nurse from the hospital called me a couple of days before my surgery to review the instructions I'd received from my doctor. Since it's 3 or 4 weeks before your surgery, you should have plenty of time to wait for a call-back from your doctor's office, if you call now.

My prep instructions included a shower the morning of my surgery, nothing to eat or drink after midnight before surgery, and a Fleet's enema the night before. All doctors and hospitals are a little different, so your instructions may be different.

Most hospitals won't accept pre-op bloodwork, if it was done more than seven days before the surgery. So you may need to have bloodwork drawn again. This ensures that you didn't develop an infection, anemia, or some other problem right before your surgery.

Good luck with the wait, and with your surgery.

Best wishes,
princessh
Unread 01-31-2002, 06:42 PM

Don't forget some sort of lip balm. I used my Carmex a lot!

My prep instructions were no eating/drinking after midnight. I also had to do an enema the night before surgery. I have read so many post and some women don't have any prep at all. Docs are all different. I didn't have to be on a liquid diet. I did eat light the day before though.

Best wishes to you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2002, 07:20 PM
Re: bowl prep

Dear Browniz,
I too have suffered from constipation all my life, and as a matter of fact had to have a hemroidectomy, in 93, largley due to pushing and straining, and I'm sure my pregnancy had a part to play as well. I had a TAH/BSO on the 9th of January and my Dr. said I didn't need to do anything at all, believe me I asked him specifically. I did start a stool softner 2 days prior but it didn't accomplish much. Looking back now I would have started the softner a week in advance, had I known what I was going to go through. I was so uncomfortable and had alot of gas and didn't have a movement till the day before I went home. My stomache felt as hard as a bowling ball, and was about the same size as a beach ball. I finally made myself get up and walk around the nurses station in the early morning hours (2-3-4 AM). And I actually held underneath my stomache like I had an appendage.
If I had to do over I definatley would start the stool softner at least a week prior as well as eat alot of fruits and veggies and drink alot of water. If I wasn't going pretty good by then I probably would take a laxative 2 days before as well. Believe me if you have suffered from constipation like I have, save yourself alot of grief and pain and take the neccesary steps even if your Dr. says you don't have to worry about it. When my Dr. came to see me the next day I told him I was having bad pains even on the morphine drip, and that's when he said my intestines were filled with you know what. I took the list of questions the sisters suggested and asked him all of them right down the list. It was such a blessing to know what to expect and what to buy to be prepared, if they were not hear to help I would have been in such a state, that DH would have had to drag me to the castle.
Well I hope this helps a little each of us is different, and I'm only sharing my own personal experience with you.
I'll be thinking of you and praying for your speedy, uneventful recovery. Oh Yah! Stay away from popcorn for a while too! Even after the surgery.
God bless,

Cadetta: Adenomyosis
Unread 01-31-2002, 07:49 PM

I guess I will give my dr a call and I think, after listening to you all, that I will probably prep myself too. I don't want to be any more uncomfortable than I have to. I'm glad all of you have come out of this fine. Thanks for the info. I will gladly use it. So many posts, so much great information.
Unread 01-31-2002, 08:39 PM
Pre-Op was today...

The Info I got from the Pre-Admission Clinic was very detailed. Gotta love a TEACHING Hospital!

"Surgical Bowel Preparation using Oral Sodium Phosphates Oral Solution

1) Purchase 2 bottles (45ml) of Sodium Phosphates Oral Solution on the day before surgery.

2) When you wake up start taking clear fluids only. You may drink as much clear fluid as you like.
-Examples of Clear Fluids are:
Jello, clear soups such as consomme, bouillon or strained vegetable soup, clear tea or coffee (NO CREAM OR MILK) water, soft drinks, clear fruit juices, popsicles, clear candy.
Any liquid you can hold up and see through is allowed.

3) At 2PM drink 45ml (1 bottle) of Sodium Phosphates Solution diluted in 1/2 a glass of water.

4) Follow with 3 glasses of water (8oz) over the next 1 1/2 hours.

5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 at 6PM.

6) Drink clear fluids until midnight and then take nothing by mouth.

Hope that helps!

Cyster Ter :dragon:
Unread 01-31-2002, 08:47 PM
D-Oh...

Sorry, I'm such a Dough-Head right now; 5 days to go!!!!

When you do this, you HAVE to stay close to a bathroom. It cleans you RIGHT out in no time flat, she told me.

It helps to get your 'works' working again faster if there isn't anything sitting in there while you recover.

Cyster Ter :dragon:
Unread 01-31-2002, 09:08 PM

It's great to call your doctor and be frank about your concerns about constipation.

In the end, though, BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR OWN DOCTOR'S INSTRUCTIONS. Medical, surgical, and anesthetic decisions may be based on the instructions they think you followed. Do not surprise your doctor by doing a bowel prep.

That being said, do feel free to call the doctor and ask about this. Often you get more detailed instructions as the surgery date approaches, but no reason not to ask now if you're curious or worried.
Unread 01-31-2002, 09:26 PM

Hi Browniz,
I too have problem with constipation, And wasnt informed on what to do, Didnt see my doctor untill surgery I told her I didnt have a b.m. and she acted like one of the nurses should of given me a enima But I guess we got thur the surgery ok without haveing enema,As far as after the surgery I was scared to death to go to the bathroom and waited 2 days later when I got home,After that I had Dieareha for a few days, she got me a prescription for that I took 2 pills and that was it cause I didnt want to get constipated again.I wish I had found this site before I had the surgery But its been a Blessing since I had the surgery The doctors Dont tell you much and kinda leave you hanging.But If I were you I would make the phone call and ask the Doctor first before you do any thing. As for the Gas I think that is natural you will have it.Im 22 days from haveing my surgery and been doing great. As far as bringing stuff to hospital I brought new stuff but just stayed in my hospital gown, I was only sopose to be there one night then I got a fever so they kept me 1 extra night.
God Bless you Browniz every thing will be alright.Judy
Unread 02-01-2002, 09:41 AM

Browniz,
With all due respect to the other sisters! CALL YOUR DOCTOR! I have diverticulosis. My doctor and the hospital (also an academic teaching hospital) didn't have me do any prep before the operation and evrything worked out fine. As soon as I was through and started on the pain meds I started taking Colace and Citrucel tablets but all of this was cleared with the doc.
A colon cleansing is very difficult on your system and there may be a very good reason why your doctor doesn't want you to do any prep. Please consult with your own physician and if they don't know already, describe your bowel difficulties. I wish you the best as I sit here, post op, with my unfiltered apple juice which is the chaser for my 8 prunes. Hey, it worked!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register