Got The Terrible News Today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got The Terrible News Today Got The Terrible News Today

Unread 02-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Got The Terrible News Today

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for all the hugs cause I really need some now! Today my GYN called me and said that all the rest of the path reports came back showing cancer. I have met with an oncologist and he wanted to wait for the rest of the path reports to come in before I made my decision. So now I have to make a decision this following week. My GYN found a GYN/ONC that would try chemotherapy first so maybe I would have a chance to keep my Uterus etc.. I have an appointment with him on monday to talk about what kind of chemo I could have. Then in the following days I will meet with my GYN/ONC who will do the Hyster and with my GYN so to make a decision of what I want to do. Today it hit me that I really am never going to have children. I feel like I have lost total control over my life and that scares me to death. What really bothers me is now I have to withdraw from Nursing school which took me 2yrs to get into. Sometimes I feel maybe if I pinch myself I will wake up and this all could be just a nightmare. It is real and breaking my heart. I never thought I would be hitting menpause at 21yrs old. Any advice you can give is really valued. ThanK you SO much for your prayers and hugs
Sara
PS Also you can email at any time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2002, 10:40 PM

Sara,

You will be in my prayers as you begin this journey. I'm sending you a big right now!

As I was reading your post, I realized Hyster Sisters has many different areas where you can receive suppport. Please visit as many forums as you want, ask as many questions as you need to, and let us walk this road with you.

You will find information and support in the Cancer Concerns and Road Less Traveled forums. And, of course, the ladies in the Prayer forum will be happy to pray for you. Pre Op and Post Op forums can help you with the practical aspects of surgery.

For now, try to get some rest and gather as much information as you can from your doctors. Please stay in touch with us and allow us to support you any way we can.

Holding you close,

Blessings and s
Unread 02-01-2002, 10:58 PM

((((Sara)))))

Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I know how scared you must be. Do you have a support group around you as far as family and friends? You really need that right now. You will find tons of support here as well as very good information. I think you should check out the Cancer and Road Less Traveled forums as Barbara suggested. There is alot of good info in there that would help you when talking and asking questions to your doctor. Try to keep positive we are here for you.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2002, 03:27 AM

I am so sorry to hear of the news you received and all it implies for you. I will definitely be praying for you. I had a friend your age who got uterine cancer and had an emergency hyst a couple years ago. The doctors were able to keep her ovaries and have them tacked out of the way so she could have radiation and chemo and not harm them. Her hopes are to use the eggs and have a family member as a surrogate mother for her child. My friend did amazingly well with the chemo and radiation, maybe because of her young age and strength. I know you must be so frightened and us hystersisters want you to know we truly care and prayers will be going out for you, and there is power in prayer. You will have a lot to grieve over, but God will get you through to a good place again. Nursing school is something I had to drop out of too because of illness, so I can relate with that particular loss. But please think of this as postponing nursing school as when you are healthy you can finish your degree. Imagine what an important nurse you will be someday to those who are ill and you can relate with them and be able to help them more then someone who never experienced such illness. I hope you will look at the cancer forum site, and that you can get strength from other survivors of cancer. Did your doctor recommend a support group in your area. If you have a church that could be another great place for help and support. You need it and deserve it, and people want to help you through your journey back to health. I know being told you can't have children is such a loss to you right now, and if you need to cry then do so. But keep in the back of your mind about the possibility of even adopting a child someday when you are well. My little girl who is 6 years old is the greatest blessing in my life, and we adopted her. I actually feel like she grew in my womb that is how strong our mother daughter bond is--and the same goes with her daddy. It feels no different then if I had given birth to her myself--in my heart of hearts I did. I am not trying to sugar coat what you are going through, it is very sad and scary. But I want you to know that your world can be back in control again. Please take it one day at a time, and know that you can make it through that day and then the ones to follow. Get all the support you can and know that others care and want to help you. We look forward to the day when you are cancer free again and are back in nursing school, full of the hopes and dreams that can be possible for you.
Unread 02-02-2002, 03:57 AM

Dear Sara,

I am so sorry to hear this, and my heart goes out to you. If you haven't already, please tell your doctor, oncology nurse, and nursing school what you've told us: your hope to have children, and how upset you are about interupting school. Perhaps you can harvest your eggs if the ovaries are removed, and later a surrogate relative can have the child for you, as another responder suggests.

Many of my friends,family, and co-workers have battled cancer and tried to live as normal a live as possible while undergoing treatment. Is there any way the school can accommodate you, by perhaps taking only one class at this time, taking part of the class on-line with the instructor? Given the circumstances, they might come up with a creative solution that will work for all-see what they say.

As another responder said- you will make one awesome nurse after this is over! Write back and please let us know how you are doing. Sending prayers and love to you!
Unread 02-02-2002, 03:59 AM
{{{Sara}}}

A big to you, Sara. This is a very frightening time. I had uterine cancer and had a hyst and an organ wash {chemo solution}. No further treatment was needed. I go every 3 months for 3 years for checkups. So far, so good!

This is very recoverable. You mentioned going through menopause. If you are able to keep your ovaries you may not face menopause at this time. Have you discussed the possibility of keeping your ovaries with your Dr.? There have been ladies here that had endometrial cancer and were able to just have their uterus removed and preserve their ovaries.

I was never able to have any bio kidlets, either. There is another great forum here....Aching Hearts....and there are many of us there helping each other through the loss of fertility. You might want to pop over for some hugs and understanding arms.

I also urge you to visit the Cancer Concerns forum. Lots of great ladies there have gone through the cancer treatments and encourage each other with love and understanding of the process. Cancer is not quite as scary when you have some hands to hold along the way.

If there is anything we can help you with, please let us know Sara. We are here for you.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{healing hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 02-02-2002, 05:26 AM
Sara

Hi Sara I am older than you, but have just gone through a lot of what you're experiencing. Almost 3 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with cancer and now I have returned home from my hysterectomy and am facing radiation treatment.
The hysterectomy was very aggressive I guess that is how to put it. I am glad everything is gone and biopsied. That is how you'll feel later. But you should expect an entire gambit of emotions. Please call your Dr. and tell them you need some kind of medication for anxiety. That is the only thing that got me through. You will need it.
As for your "life" I think you should talk to someone at the school and see if there is a way to work on book work while you're fighting your battle. If you can, then it'll give you a goal and something to put your mind on. My Dr. wants me to get back to "life" and be happy and healthy. It's nice to have someone tell me that.
One of my nurses at the hospital was so helpful when I was having one of my pity parties. She said she had a total hysterectomy at 26 and has no children. She told me it's ok to be angry and it's ok to cry. I am telling you about her because she must have gone through something like you are. I liked her a lot more than the nurse who thought I was wrong to be upset because it could be "so much worse" So yes, this will help you be a better nurse. You WILL get through this. It's a different path than most people have. But it's treatable. Do your research, work with your Dr. and take good care of yourself.
Feel free to write to me and if I can help you in any way, I will
Susan
Unread 02-02-2002, 10:11 AM

Have you talked with your nursing school about your situation? I would think they would let you have an option of putting your studies on hold, but not forcing you to be readmitted.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you. You are very young to be going through this. The most important thing for you to concentrate on is your health.
Unread 02-02-2002, 10:21 AM

Sara,

I am very sorry to hear of the terrible news you received today. I must tell you that i have a friend who went through the same thing at the age of 20. SHe had her normal pap which came out fine and then felt weird about three months later and went in to find that she had full blown cancer. They set her up for a complete hysterectomy and of course the radiation and the chemo. She is fine today at 26 years old and living a happy and healthy life. One of the things i know that she did was keep herself in excellent shape..she ate very well..lots of veggies and fruits...some chicken and fish..and i dont think she ate any red meat... It was a long recovery but she had her friends and family behind her as well as support groups that she could count on. When all this was going on she was enrolled in school..the school tried to accomodate her as much as possible and now she has since graduated and has a wonderful job. You should continue to seek the comfort of this website. This is the most wonderful site that i have ever been on. What better to do than to talk and communicate with women who have had it done. I am having a TAH on February 8th and am quite nervous about it. before finding this website i had been to many other ones that explained the procedure and always made it seem so scary. these ladies take away my fear...before you rule out going to school..talk with them to see what they can do for you to accomodate you....and ask your doctor about groups that might meet in your area with the same problems......and keep on chatting and posting with us...if you ever need to talk you can also email me
Unread 02-02-2002, 10:54 AM

Big hugs to you! I haven't been on this forum in a while, but I had to respond to you. I have had 3 cancer scares: skin, breast, and uterus/ovary. All were negative, but all 3 surgeries were necessary. After the breast surgery at 40, I thanked God, and decided to complete my mission on this earth with gusto. I too could not have children because of a heart murmer. I also found out that my cervix was so curved that a baby would not have been able to come out without a c-section anyway. So....I decided to be the best middle school teacher I could be back in my 20's after the heart problem was discovered. All this stuff happens for a reason. God has other plans for you probably, like he did for me. Today I am happy, healthy, have a loving hubby of 17 years, and enjoy each day to its fullest. These are your darkest hours, but you WILL rise above them and be well and happy again. Keep the faith!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register