Questions about Fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about Fibroids Questions about Fibroids

Unread 02-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Questions about Fibroids

I was told by my doctor that I have several fibroids, one is which is the size of a softball and growing quickly. I will be having surgery in two weeks to remove it, but I'm pretty miserable right now. I find that the fibroid swells at certain times and the pain is horrific after I eat. Does anyone know what causes them to swell and if there are specific foods that agravate them? I am getting to the point that I hate to eat because I feel so bad after. Help!

Brandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2002, 01:50 PM
Questions about Fibroids

Hi Brandi!

I don't know the answer to your question, but here is a link you can check out regarding fibroids:

www.thefibroidplace.com

Hopefully you will be able to find this answer and more.
Unread 02-02-2002, 01:58 PM
Questions about Fibroids

Hi...I had fibroids for many many years. I don't know that they react to eating and food intake, unless they are pressing on your intestines or colon. Did your doctor mention the location of the broids, or if there are other organs involved?

That might have something to do with it. I hope you find some relief very soon!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2002, 02:02 PM
Questions about Fibroids

Brandi,

Hi! I too had fibroids. I didn't have the same problems you are having with eating though. You may want to ask your Dr why you are having those symptoms.

Please let us know what you find out. Keep posting and check out the Chat Room. Also, try the search icon at the top of the screen to see if any ladies have had the problems you are having.

Best of luck. 's
Unread 02-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Questions about Fibroids

I haven't heard of fibroids swelling like that (doesn't mean it couldn't happen...), but I wonder if maybe they are squooshing your intestines or something - and that's what's getting swollen (gassy?) after you eat? Just a thought...
Unread 02-02-2002, 10:00 PM
Questions about Fibroids

Hi!
I am going in for my hyst on the 14th of February. I was formally diagnosed with fibroids last November but I personally think that I have had them growing for a long time but doctor could never find them. Mine are on the inside of my uterus...and my uterus is enlarged to a little bigger than a grapefruit size and is pushing against my bladder and causing other symptoms that now make the hyst medically necessary.
You asked about foods causing the uterus to swell. For me it is caffeine and chocolate... the worst culprits anyway. Or if I drank alot of liquids because the uterus is crowding out my bladder would be totally uncomfortable.
Not much of a help am I? But I wanted to share...you are not alone. Good luck to you! Lady Red
Unread 02-03-2002, 01:47 AM
Questions about Fibroids

I didn't have the problem of fibroids upsetting my digestive system, however they were causing numerous other problems. I had backache each and every day. When I had my periods it was chronic back pain and numbness in my left leg. I also had stress incontinence and I really feel that this was caused by the fibroids (the largest was about the size of a grapefruit). Uterus was enlarged to bigger than a football.

Well, guess what? Since surgery no cramps, no bleeding, no backaches and no numbness. AND the incontinence seems to haved righted itself. I am 7 weeks post op now and I can sneeze, laugh and cough without peeing. Good stuff!!!

Regards and best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 02-03-2002, 04:47 AM
EATING PROBLEMS W/FIBROIDS

TAKE COMFORT, I DO THE EXACT SAME THING, AND YES THIS IS AN UNCOMMON PROBLEM. I KNOW HOW UNCOMFORTABLE IT IS AND WOULDN'T WISH IT ON ANYONE BUT IT IS SOMEWHAT REASURING TO HEAR SOMEONE ELSE GOES THUR THIS. YOU KNOW, MISERY LOVES COMPANY - SO COME SIT BY ME.
I KEEP SLIM-FAST ON HAND FOR WHEN I HAVE BAD SPELLS, I WILL WARN YOU THE FIRST COUPLE OF CANS WILL GIVE YOU GAS, BUT SEEMS AFTER THAT IT SETTLES DOWN, I GET HORRIBLE HEADACHES WHEN I DON'T EAT AND THIS KEEPS THOSE UNDER CONTROL. ALSO SNACKING THRU OUT THE DAY OR LITTLE MEALS ALSO SEEMS TO KEEP THINGS AT BAY AND RICE IS ANOTHER EASY FOOD TO HANDLE.
I ALSO HAVE MULTIPULE FIBROIDS, ONE OF WHICH IS LOCATED ON TOP OF THE UTERUS, AND AM AT THE SIZE OF A 5-6 MO PREGNANCY SO I AM SURE THIS IS THE VILLIAN. PAIN IS CONSTANT AND MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM IS SO MESSED UP. I AT TIMES WILL SWELL UP LIKE A BALLOON.
GLAD TO HEAR YOU END IS IN SITE, I AM STILL IN THE PROCESS OF UNDERGOING TESTS AND BIOPSY'S SO NO SURGICAL DATE AS YET.

DROP A LINE IF YOU HAVE ANY ROUTINES OR IDEAS ON WHAT WORKS AND I WILL DO THE SAME
TRIXIE
Unread 02-03-2002, 06:20 AM
Questions about Fibroids

Like so many others I too well until Jan21 had suffered from Fibroids I had three removed one as big as a basketball according to surgeon. Before my surgery I constantly had an upset stomach it did not matter what I ate it was the fact that I ate. My bowels moved 6-8 times a day and were never formed always loose. And I had to pee all of the time. And awful backaches, aches in my joints. Just way to much extra stuff in there putting pressure on the other organs. With my stomach it actually got to the point where my Dr. gave me something cause I was just not eating. Now after the surgery there are a definate changes in bowels almost back to normal and tummy is slowley but surely settling down, think things are still pretty swollen in there but not near as pukey as I used to be.

Hang in there

K8
Unread 02-03-2002, 06:59 AM
Thank You!

Thank you for responding to my questions even if you didn't have an answer. It was great, although sad at the same time since you are suffering, to hear that I'm not alone. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy and other people certainly treat me that way.

My largest fibroid is inside the wall of my uterus and sits at the top right hand side. I had laproscopic surgery done in August so I have seen the pictures, and then there all those ultrasounds that give me a good idea of what my little baby named Spur looks like.

From the surgical pictures I could see that my intestines were a jumbled mess on that right hand side and my doctor has said that he thinks the fibroid is d*****itly causing my intestines and stomach to go nuts -- not to mention the backaches and bladder problems that so many of you also mentioned.

My theory is that the fibroid is taking up so much room that it is leaving my intestines and stomach only a tiny space. Therefore, I get full easily and it takes a long time to digest my food. Although I get hungry, many times I sit down to eat and the sight of trying to eat the food makes me ill. It is torture!

I have also found that chocolate and caffine are culprits, but my worst is milk followed by meat. Any time I eat milk or meat I think I'm going to die.

Last year I lived off of oatmeal, grits and slim fast. I might have to try that again minus the grits. They make me sick now. Needless to say, I lost a lot of weight which was needed.

Thank you for all of your advice and the good news that things may get better after the surgery. That is what is keeping me going. I can't wait to get this fibroid out and live a normal life again. I'm especially looking forward to do something athletic again and not having to sit after a few seconds.

Brandi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register