How long post-op until external radiation begins? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long post-op until external radiation begins? How long post-op until external radiation begins?

Unread 02-03-2002, 03:48 AM
How long post-op until external radiation begins?

I am confused about when to expect my mother's radiation treatments will take place. We understand that she is to have a total hysterectomy and lymph node removal (endo cancer diagnosis four days ago -- we don't yet know the stage & grade) in a couple weeks. We thought we were told that during her hysterectomy hospital stay, she would have the implant radiation therapy for a few days, then go home for a few days, then commence the six weeks of external radiation.

Can anyone tell me -- is this how it proceeds for most? Or do we misunderstand the doctor's timeline? It seems like some people have several weeks between surgery and radiation treatments, with the implant radiation procedure last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2002, 08:06 AM

I didn't need to have any treatment, but I've followed several of the girls who have. It seems that there is a range of ways the docs tend to treat this. And it could be that each cancer is so different from woman to woman (and each woman is different) that it ends up looking like the treatments are different. I'm sure some of the sisters who have been through this will share their stories, but you probably will want to check again with the oncologist for the specifics of your mother's treatment: When will the internal be done and how for how long? When will the external be done and for how many treatments?

Please send my best to your mother. I hope all goes well for her.

Send this to her too:

And here's one for you too:
Unread 02-03-2002, 08:56 AM

I was given the option of the radiation inplants or a TAH. If after the TAH the margins were not clear, then I would have external radiation treatments. I guess all dr's are different and maybe it depends on the type of cancer. Mine was cervical. You might want to give the dr a call and see if they will give you the "timeline" again. They understand our minds are so confused when we make that visit. Good luck. Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2002, 11:54 AM

In my experience - I had my hysterectomy done and it was 9 mths after when I had my radiation . I had external beam done first and then 2 weeks after that finished I had the internal. I am sure it depends on 1. The type/severity of the cancer 2. The patient and 3. the radiologist and oncologist as each Dr seems to have a different way of treating.

This is a question for the Dr.

I hope all goes well with your mother . It is a hard thing to have to go through but somehow we survive Keeping her in my prayers and if you ever need support for her , remember we are here
Unread 02-03-2002, 05:08 PM

Hello... I had my surgery at the end of July and didnt start my external treatments until the first of October.. The dr wanted my incision completely healed before starting the treatments.. and then a couple of weeks after I finished those I started the internal treatments...

Sending best wishes your way ... keeping you and your mother in my prayers for a speedy recovery... Sondra
Unread 02-03-2002, 05:18 PM

Hi,
I had endo cancer....stage 2B, grade 2......I am rather young (38) to have had this cancer, which probably plays a factor in the treatment as well.
Anyway, about 5 weeks after my hyst I began external, I believe 26 in all, the docotor then gave me a 2 week break, and then I had my internal, which was in the hospital, an ovenight stay. There are internals where there is no hospital stay as well. Please keep us posted and feel free to ask anything. I would certainly ask the doctor again, they are used to repeating themselves, this is a very overwhelming situation. usually the doctors office has a nurse on staff that helps with the questions
Good Luck!
Valentina
Unread 02-04-2002, 11:04 PM
clarification on radiation timeline/questions

Thank you all so much. I told my mother about this wonderful community, and she looks forward to spending time here.

The nurse today clarified the radiation timeline. She said external will commence 3-5 weeks after surgery, with internal to follow.

Questions:
1. Her diagnosis is: poorly-differentiated adeno carcinoma, "clear cell" cancer. I understand that this is treated more aggressively than some other types of uterine cancer. The nurse today indicated that an oncologist will NOT be attending the surgery, and she has not seen an oncologist yet. Strikes me as odd. Shouldn't an oncologist be getting involved soon?

2. Anybody have opinions on the "Through the Land of Hyster" available on this site? Other book suggestions?

3. Coenzyme Q10 -- Has anybody heard whether it's worth investing in/taking? It's about $20 for a 15 day supply. I bought a bottle today, but now that I think about it, she is already taking high blood pressure meds, heart meds, multi vitamins, Megestrol . . . maybe I shouldn't pressure her to take still more pills.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Cynthia
Unread 02-05-2002, 03:58 AM

So glad that your mum is going to spend time here.It will be a great help to her.

Q 1... not having an oncologist present does strike me as odd too. Maybe you could ask the gyn. why this is so.

Q2..... I didnt buy the book as postage was so expensive to Aus. but every one who has bought it cannot speak highly enough.

Q3..... CQ10 I started taking this when I first was diagnosed and have been taking it ever since. My oncologist said it was ok BUT you must check with your own Dr before taking anything

Hoping all goes well with your mum, give her a big and tell her we hope to meet her soon
Unread 02-05-2002, 04:55 PM

Cynthia,
Sorry your mother is having to go through this... but glad she has you to help her out.... About the question about her not seeing the oncologist.... My gyn. is the one who did my surgery... I didnt see the oncologist until right before my radiation treatments were to begin... At that time they were trying to determine wether or not I was a good canditate for chemo... I did not have to have chemo because they said that uterine was not usually helped by it... I had the 25 treatments of external... with a week of so off to rest between and then 5 internal treatments... the external ones were done mon through fri.... for 5 weeks.. and the internal was one every week for 5 weeks...
Unread 02-05-2002, 06:43 PM

Buy the book! It was great. Just wonderfully soothing reading.

If your mother is not comfortable about not having seen an oncologist yet, you can always request to go see one before her surgery.

As far as other books, there are a bunch out there on the topic of hysterectomy. Go shopping at Amazon.com (there's a link at the bottom of the page, I think), or at your local bookstore. Try to find one that presents all sides--some are very anti-hysterecomy and it's hard to read those and feel good about your surgery when you really have no choice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register