What is the normal hospital stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the normal hospital stay? What is the normal hospital stay?

Unread 02-03-2002, 05:48 PM
What is the normal hospital stay?

I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on March 7th. My Doctor tells me insurance (I live in Maryland) only allows 48 hours stay! I am a wee bit concerned. What do you guys think about that? Is 48 hours the norm?

Thanks!

Bev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2002, 05:52 PM

I think the norm is that there is no norm.

It does depend on what you're having done, your insurance, and how you respond. However, if you are NOT ready to leave, your doctor will order a longer stay, no matter what your insurance "says". If s/he doesn't think it's medically safe for you to be discharged, you won't be. So don't worry overmuch about that.

48 hours is not too bad. I had TAH/BSO on Monday and went home Friday...it was just right. Many sisters have gone home sooner...just remember that you will need help and have to rest rest rest when you get there, whenever that may be!!!

Karen
Unread 02-03-2002, 05:57 PM
hospital stay

I had a TAH on January 3rd in the AM. I came home on January 5th in the afternoon. Actually I could have stayed another day,but wanted to be at home recovering. I have had 3 C-Sections before, and felt I knew what and what not to do. Listen to your body, it speaks very loud. The ride home was WAY not fun, but after that everything was fine. Keeping in mind I had my older son home to help me everyday for about a week, while my husband went to work. Plus I had good pain meds to help and called the doctor for any little thing that might have concerned me. Help is an important item! Good Luck, and God Bless You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2002, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the quick replies I am looking forward to getting this over with! I have poured over so many posts and this site has been such a tremendous help.

You all are GREAT

Bev
Unread 02-03-2002, 06:08 PM

I'm having a TVH and my dr says I'm staying 2 days, but actually I feel like it is going to be 2 1/2 in the castle, I go in for the op on Monday and leave (if everything goes right) on Wednesday. I'm sure your dr will do what they think is right no matter what the ins says. Good Luck.
Unread 02-03-2002, 07:30 PM

Bev. Welcome to hystersisters. Like Karen says....if you need to stay longer than what insurance has originally approved - dr. can make arrangements for that. Mine did...actually went in on Wed. and came home on Sun.

Glad you're enjoying the site.
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:57 AM
Hi Dot,

Do you mind if I ask why your release was delayed?
Thanks
Bev

's
Unread 02-04-2002, 11:34 AM
4 nights here

I'm scheduled for 4 nights. I think he's over cautious just in case.

But that's O.K., too.

Cyster Ter :dragon:
Unread 02-04-2002, 12:48 PM
Hospital Stay

Bev,

I am scheduled for surgery on the 26th of Feb. My doctor told me that I should be in the hospital about 2-3 days. I suppose if you aren't having any complications, you will be okay. Surely, your insurance will not object if you need to stay longer for medical reasons.

CJ59
Unread 02-27-2002, 07:35 PM

hey bev, you go in a day after me, my doctor originally said that he does most hysts on Wed. and that you go home on Friday or Saturday - he sounded like he would work with me on the d/c as a ride home could be a problem - my friday ride has to go home early, and my sat ride works until noon or 1pm - plus my sx is scheduled for 1:30 in the afternoon - my experience onthe non- pt side, is that your MD can extend your stay by explaining medically why it is necessary - he probably wouldn't say "her sister is an orthodox jewish woman, who had to be home to bring in the sabbath"...LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register