How long does it take femring to work!!?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does it take femring to work!!?? How long does it take femring to work!!??

Unread 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
How long does it take femring to work!!??

Hello its been 4 weeks since my BSO and I started the femring 4 days ago. The 2nd day was good it was the first day with no headache in weeks! Then now 2 days later I have a headache, the night sweats are back and some mild flashes. What the hec? Is this not strong enough or is it just not absorbing yet? I tried estrodial and divigel and they both caused horrible migraines. I have got to get away drom these dang headaches. Any thoughts on the femring? It is the low dose ring but dang its not even been in a week. Help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Re: How long does it take femring to work!!??

So sorry you are having headaches!

With the ring, there is a spike in estrogen the first 24-48 hours which is most likely why you felt better. For me, headaches are from low or fluctuating estrogen levels. That is why the ring helps my headaches and mood swings.

You are very early in your recovery so it may take some to adjust to the new you. Keep close contact with your DR. If your symptoms continue, the 0.1mg ring may be what you need.

Good luck feeling better!
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:18 AM

Artlace, Did you ever start feeling better on the Femring? I just started it last week, and I was wondering how long it takes to even out your moods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
Artlace, Did you ever start feeling better on the Femring? I just started it last week, and I was wondering how long it takes to even out your moods.
Well after being on the ring for a month I still didn't feel good so I went to doc and had levels checked and they of course was in the lower side of "normal" but I went ahead and asked for estrogel and started using it as I was in my 2nd month with the ring. Those rings DO NOT last 3 mths on most people and I know that was true for me because the amount of discharge I had would decrease over time. (I don't like the discharge side effect!)I started feeling a little better and the headaches improved. I had my 2nd ring script filled and honey the next morning after putting it in I could tell the estrogen surge was strong and I had increased energy big time. It has slowed down some but I am still using the femring and the estrogel. I just know from my levels before surgery that I do better with a little higher amount of estrogen vs lower.
Unfortunately for the past 4 days there is no amount of estrogen that will make me feel good because our dog has been missing since Friday afternoon. My daughter cried herself to sleep last night ); Anyway hope my info helped you some. Good luck
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM

altrace

Sorry about your dog...hope you find him/her real soon!

I'm curious...How much Estrogel do you use along with your ring? Once a day? Are you using 0.1mg Femring? Do you ever get blood work to check levels?
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM

Oh...so sorry about your beloved dog, Artlace.

I was hoping to just use the femring and nothing else. I've been on patches, and gel, but my levels fluctuate too much. I tend to absorb everything really quickly, and then crash.

Do you remember what your levels were? I need mine to be around 90.
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyanxious View Post
altrace

Sorry about your dog...hope you find him/her real soon!

I'm curious...How much Estrogel do you use along with your ring? Once a day? Are you using 0.1mg Femring? Do you ever get blood work to check levels?
I'm using 0.5 femring and the estrogel is 0.06% and use 1 pump at bedtime. My appt is coming up so I will recheck my levels then.
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
Oh...so sorry about your beloved dog, Artlace.

I was hoping to just use the femring and nothing else. I've been on patches, and gel, but my levels fluctuate too much. I tend to absorb everything really quickly, and then crash.

Do you remember what your levels were? I need mine to be around 90.
My levels with the ring before the gel were 93. I have an appt coming up and will see what they are since the gel. Before my surgery (which was for severe PMDD) my estrogen levels would go from 40 to 400 in a month. Yes I was a crazy person most of the time. But I checked it when I felt good and when I felt horrible and the higher the estrogen the better I felt. Its not safe to take high levels of course but I'm just trying to find my sweet spot.
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Smile - How long does it take femring to work!!?? Re: How long does it take femring to work!!??

I know what you mean about fluctuating levels and the craziness feeling. The vivelle dot was sending me from 500 to 70 in two days! The doctor kept testing me and it was in the 80's. We kept thinking I needed to go higher because I felt miserable, so she bumped me up to two patches. (.01 and .0375.) Still no relief. Finally, I demanded to be tested over a 24 hour period. 10 hours after applying the two patches I was at 550. 40 hours after the application, I was down to 90. ARGH! She took me back down to one .01 patch, and I was at 250 within 12 hours, and 79 by day two. She said I was a "rare" case, but having read so many posts, I see that I'm NOT rare at all:-) 250 to 79 is still a ridiculous swing to be going through every other day. So now I'm on to the Femring. I'm grateful that my doctor is so wonderful, and that she believed in me enough to test me over a several hour period, instead of blowing off my complaints.
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:01 PM

seenitall

Sounds like you have a nice doc! You are NOT a rare case. I was the same way on Vivelle. Mood swings galore and headaches...fluctuations cause headaches for me. I thought I was going nuts. The ring was so much more steady but it isn't strong enough so I use estrogel to supplement. I use one squirt a day but split it morning and evening. Good luck on the ring!

Thanks artlace!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register