Work after only 2 weeks????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Work after only 2 weeks????? Work after only 2 weeks?????

Unread 02-04-2002, 07:46 PM
Work after only 2 weeks?????

I am so confused. Once people find out about my surgery, they cannot wait to compare it their relatives surgery, or themselves. I discussed my leave of absence with my supervisor and he was super sensitive (we are therapists, so that helps! HAHA) about my situation. However, when I stated my concern about my caseload, and being gone approximately 6 weeks, he had to tell me the story about his own mother doing very well after just two weeks.

Too, several other people insist I will be ready and back to work within a matter of a few weeks. True, I cannot sit at home and do nothing very well.....I get cabin fever, however, I don't want people to assume I will be back in a matter of days if I don't feel like it!

Since I am not in a situation where I MUST get back to work in order to get that paycheck, I am, at the moment anyway, mentally prepared to be off work for as long as it takes. My doc stated a 4-6 recovery period, however, I notice on this board many people have quoted 6-8 weeks.

I do hope I am able to get around very well after 2 weeks. But I don't WANT to go back to work at that time. True, I will be stir crazy, but hey, someone drive me to Wal-Mart or to dinner! I cannot foresee me sitting at my desk and listening to my clients all day and trying to concentrate on their issues under the influence of medication, exhaustion and emotions.

Okay....I think I have it worked out. I will print this out and make copies, then give it to those who insist I will fine in just a "few short weeks". After 25 years of suffering, don't I DESERVE more than 2 weeks grace period?

Ahhhh....I feel better just by typing. (This is called "Bibliotherapy", by the way, see, it does work! )

Thanks for listening to an agitated princess!
Reba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2002, 07:53 PM

I think you should take at least six weeks to relax and recover. After my surgery, a "friend" told me about her Husband's Aunt who did a full grocery order by herself 3 days postop!!!!!!! I think we have to learn to ignore others and listen to our bodies. I am a fast healer and I also get tired of doing nothing but your body needs the time to repair and recover. In a few months you will wish you had a few days to sit around and do nothing! (I know I do) I hope you have a speedy and relaxing recovery!
Unread 02-04-2002, 07:59 PM

Seems like some people always have a story to tell. I can say that I did feel better after 2wks only because I was staying awake longer and moving around more. But to go back to work that early I could not have done it. I would say 6-8wks depending on the type of surgery you are having. Just take it easy and your body will tell you what is right.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2002, 08:16 PM
Post-Op Recovery Necessary

I was told by the first doctor I consulted that I would be off work for 4 weeks and could drive after 3 weeks. I had a TAH/BSO in June of 2000. Then, because hysterectomies are done so often and sometimes not always necessary, I went for a second opinion. This doctor (who eventually did my surgery) explained that I would be out of work for 6 weeks and could drive after 6 weeks. When I told him the first doc said four weeks, he told me that most people are not ready until 6 weeks. I also do office work, though I am not a therapist. I work as a legal secretary. From what I have read here, there are numerous stitches inside after a hysterectomy--approx. 80 or more. Because we don't see those stitches, we only think of the ones on the outside. My incision was closed with peri strips. I had no stitches or staples holding my incision together. Unfortunately, I had an incisional infection which kept me out of work an additional week. Ask your doctor to write you a note to your employer that it is "necessary" for you to be off work for a minimum of six weeks. Then, relax and recover properly after your surgery. As far as going to Wal-Mart, I wouldn't suggest it for at least two weeks post-op. One of my girlfriends lost her husband the day after my surgery. I talked my sister into taking me to the funeral home (Wednesday after my Friday surgery) for a "little while." I wanted to go for my girlfriend, although she told me when she called that she did not expect me to be there because she knew I just had surgery. I couldn't stay on my feet for longer than 10 minutes without wanting to sit down somewhere. A friend of mine also picked me up the next day for dinner. We then went to the grocery store so I could get a few things (bread, milk, etc.) and then went home. I felt like I had been out all day. That Saturday I went to a high school graduation party for my nephew. My younger brother picked me up and drove me to the party -- 60 miles one way. By the time I got home that night, I felt like I had been on a "leave" from the [nursing] home and couldn't wait to get back. I slept like a baby that night. Take it one day at a time and don't go back to work until your doctor releases you. Once you go back, it may be difficult to get more time off.
Unread 02-04-2002, 08:54 PM
OH!

Thank you sisters!!!!!

I have a check up already scheduled for April 1, 2002. I have no doubt my doc will sign for me to be off for as long as it takes. I just don't want "others", including those at work, to assume I am "milking" the situation.

As it is, I have 130 hours accrued that I can take with pay. Of course, this takes all my vacation, sick and personal days. So, after a period of a few weeks, if I DID need off a day or so I wouldn't have the hours built up, therefore getting no pay.

However, I will continue to receive my normal salary up to the 130 hours. After that, once I am off for 160 hour +, I will be eligible and receive "short term disability" where I can draw 60% of my salary. That is fine with me...I can live with 60%! So, the ONLY pay I will miss is the 30 hours between what I have accrued and what I need for the disability. Fortunately, I can afford to miss 30 hours worth of my salary.

By the way, I am having TAH/BSO !
Unread 02-04-2002, 08:58 PM

Hi Reba,

I know just what you mean! I had my TAH on December 31st. When I informed my office manager that I might be out the whole month of January, she seemed a little surprised. She is one of those "tough gals" who said she "breezed" through her hysterectomy. I am also very active in the PTO at my son's school, and this month is our annual chili supper and carnival, which I am always in charge of. I've got people calling me and expecting me to carry on as if nothing happened, wanting me to get this done, and that done, and frankly, my heart is just not in it, nor is my energy level up to par yet. I just feel like a lot of people expect me to be tough! I did go back to work today for half a day, but truly I feel as if I could have easily taken a week or two more off. I am tired! Don't let anyone make you feel like you should be "tough"... get lots of rest and pace yourself. I rather enjoyed my time at home! Caught up on a lot of movies I had been wanting to rent.

Best of luck to you,

Tracy
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:04 PM
Thanks!

Tracy, that info makes me feel so much better! Dec. 31 wasn't that long ago!

I didn't clarify something up above, so let me explain here. I feel as though if I do feel like a stroll at Wal-Mart, even if I am 5 weeks post op, there will be people wondering why I am looking well and out and about, yet not working.

I need a good zinger to come back with (actually, some good sarcasm! :-) )

I don't have the need to please these people, I just wish I had some magical way to get them to understand that although I am doing better, I am not "done". If that make sense!

Gee, I sound like a therapist! hahaha Always trying to find ways for people to understand, even though they haven't been through it!
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:20 PM

Just do the hyster shuffle in the Wal-Mart. Wear stretch leggings and a big old sweatshirt and look like heck, and tell them how good it feels to finally get out of the house. Then look for a place to sit down.

You'll want to sit anyway after a few minutes in the Wal-Mart. It seems to be everyone's downfall around here.
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:30 PM

The hyster shuffle !! Love that terminology! Okay, so I won't wear make up and I will wear the frumpiest thing I own! That should throw 'em!

I have been bragging to others about this site since I found y'all last week. I have had dozens of conversations with my husband about the "sisters". Being a therapist, he said he isn't shocked I would find a support group. hehehe

Thanks Sis !
Unread 02-04-2002, 10:16 PM

DON"T RUSH!!! TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!! You only get one chance (just one) to recover.

I planned on going back to work at two weeks (after TAH/BSO) because I had bounced back from my 3 C-Sections so easily. I teach Pre-K two mornings a week for 3 1/2 hours each day. It is less than 5 minutes from my home. My dr. laughed at me, my boss laughed at me and my friend laughed at me (she had a
lap assisted abd. hyst a year ago). Wednesday will be 6 weeks and I hope to be back then (although it might snow - in Central Texas no less). I was originally disappointed in myself that I didn't make it back but I wound up with an incisional infection that is still opened. I couldn't help it and finally came to grips with it.

I did return to a child care job at one week post-op. I normally watch these angels (12 y.o., 9 y.o. and 7 y.o.) after school but it was the Christmas Holidays. My dd drove me and stayed with me so I laid around there BUT the car trip wore me out both ways and it is only about 12 miles (one way). I also have done a Parent Night Out Program twice at a local church and both times I have been in bed most of the next day because those four hours wore me out.

Take it easy and take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register