Passing time during recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Passing time during recovery? Passing time during recovery?

Unread 02-05-2002, 07:30 AM
Passing time during recovery?

This is such a wonderful site. So many of my questions have been answered. Plus, I have learned what to ask at my appointments. My date has not been set (due to working around my work schedule), but thanks to all of you, I really don't feel the least bit nervous. Maybe once I have the date, but for now, just a sort of happy anticipation of a post hyst life.

My question is what sorts of activities do you do to pass time during recovery. It seems like such a long time to rest, walk, sleep, drink, etc. I know that the first few days are probably easy to pass. But, what about when you feel you can go back to normal activities, but really can't. How do you pass the time? I have some things in mind, but I believe I could complete all those little tasks within the first 2 weeks. Please, any ideas would be appreciated. In today's world women just can't imagine more than a day of "leisure". Thanks so much!

Rayna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 07:47 AM
Hi Rayna

OK here was my recovery seems like I got home went back got my staples out went back for my 4 week check-up and then was released at 8 weeks. I got really tired after very little activity. I slept a lot because I was coming off the anthesia for about 3 weeks. No pain med after 5 days it was hard getting off that but I survived I took my anaprox if I needed something stronger than aleve, but to be honest I took aleve about twice a day and that didn't last but a few days. Of course when I would over do the up on my feet thing I would have to take one but I had little pain. Now I know that some of the sisters here have more so I guess it is all in what your body tolerants I thought I couldn't tolerant pain but who knows maybe I just didn't have a lot. I did get sore etc. So what to do. I slept and that helped the healing. I did my computer a lot. I tried to read but couldn't concentrate for about 4 weeks then it came back and I could read again. if you do crafts get plenty of them. I did bead work from a craft kit I had gotten before my surgery. made everyone in my family a key ring or bracelet. I love to paint by number these are a little hard to find. I can't paint so this is the way I do my art. I write stories so I did a lot of writing nothing finished, but got one almost. Maybe for once just relaxe and try to take it slow and enjoy "leisure" hey you might like it . God Bless and let us know when you get your date.
Unread 02-05-2002, 07:55 AM

Thanks! Those are good ideas - beadwork & painting! I hadn't thought of crafts. I used to write some too. Maybe I'll try that when the concentration comes back.

Rayna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 10:06 AM

I could think of a million things I'd like to do....just think of all the movies you haven't seen, music you haven't listened to...books and magazines and articles you'd like to read (when the brain fog clears ), the photos waiting to be put into albums, the letters you'd like to write, the naps you never get to take, the recipes you might like to try....I could have stayed home for months!

You are right, we are so used to rushing through our days, that the idea of leisure is pretty alien. I hope you enjoy your special sabbatical from the everyday....I know I sure did!!

Karen
Unread 02-05-2002, 12:06 PM

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and decided to start making Christmas presents early. I'm crocheting afghans for my 2 sister-in-laws. The first one is just about done! I'm also doing cross stitch and reading, reading, reading. I'm not a big tv watcher and this stuff has occupied my time - when I 'm not sleeping.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-05-2002, 04:02 PM

Hi Rayna,
It doesn't seem like it when you are going through it, but the recovery time passes way to fast. I miss being pampered
Anyways done whinning now. I had stacks and stacks of pictures that needed to be put into photo albums. So I ordered photo albums through the mail, and they brought them to the door, so I didn't have to go out and get them. Then I got all my pictures put in them. I also watched movies, read the Hystersisters guide book, and of course spent a lot of time on this website, Chat is a great place to come to help pass the time.
Unread 02-05-2002, 04:41 PM

Thanks so much for the great ideas!! I also have oodles of pictures that need to be organized and put in albums. I also have every Highlander episode recorded. If you're not familiar with the series (no longer running), it starred Adrian Paul - the best looking man alive - after my DH!!

I like the Christmas crafts ideas. I am not very creative, but it would be a good time to try. Thanks!

Rayna
Unread 02-05-2002, 05:03 PM

Rayna,

I too am so glad I found this site - it has really helped me alot with anxiety and questions. (even questions I didn't know I should ask!) I'm currently living in China and communicating with my US doc via the phone (14 hour time difference so that's tough) Currently my only resource is the internet for questions but that can be pretty impersonal reading all those medical websites. We leave tomorrow for the STates and my surgery is scheduled for the 13th of Feb. so I'm getting pretty anxious. I am on this site every day in the meantime and really enjoy it.

Good luck to you!
Kristine
Unread 02-06-2002, 03:22 PM

Hi Kristine!

By now you have already :fly: from China. I hope your trip is a relaxing one. My prayers go out for you. You must be with living in China and scheduling with a in the States. Take care. I'll be ray: for you. Be sure and post in Pre-Op after your surgery, so the rest of us LIW can keep up with your progress. God bless.

Rayna
Unread 02-06-2002, 04:30 PM

I imagined that I would spend my time reading books and learning to tie knots (as a Girl Scout we learned to set tables... rrrr). Before my castle date I bought a stack of books to read, and got a book on knot tying, then made up a couple of short "practice" ropes to learn on. But it turns out I didn't have the attention span for it.

What I actually did...

I bought a set of 12 tavern puzzles - those metal puzzles where you try to get some piece loose from the rest of the contraption. I'd always wanted those, so I went nuts and got a bunch of them. Those were great fun (still are...).

Watched TV. Thank goodness for cable and TiVo.

Had company (Grandma-in-law) all through week 2. It was tiring having someone around, but fun anyway. She's 89, and we were walking about the same speed, puttering around the neighborhood.

Hung out here.

Hung out with the critters - I could stand around, or sit in the pen on a light plastic chair, and pet whoever wandered over for attention.

Did a little yardwork. I found I could prune things that were at about chest height. Just with little hand pruners - the big loppers were too hard to handle. Left the trimmings to rot where they fell. I could also sit on a small stool on the ground and pull any weed within reach - just for 10 minutes at a time or so.

Lying in the sun on a beach towel was nice... Kept a close eye on an approaching brush fire for a while...

You really will be surprised how fast the time passes. I remember when I used to take care of my grandparents how it would seem to take them the whole day just to have breakfast, get bathed and dressed, and go to the doctor or store - boom, it was dinner time, then Lawrence Welk, and bed... It pretty much goes like that during recovery. A big day will include surprisingly little activity.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register