don't take ibuprofen before surgery!!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

don't take ibuprofen before surgery!!!!!!! don't take ibuprofen before surgery!!!!!!!

Unread 02-05-2002, 09:58 AM
don't take ibuprofen before surgery!!!!!!!

I went to my pre-op yesterday, and my dr. had neglected to tell me that I could not take ibuprofen for a week before my surgery, so now I'm postponed until 2/13!! I cried when he told me we had to reschedule, I told him that I was already too stressed out, and he apologized, and he almost cried w/ me. My dh was there, and he was very upset, but I guess these things can happen, so there is nothing to do about it now!! :hair:

The dr. explained to me that because I take it on a daily basis for pain, that it changes the blood platelets so that they don't clot well. And of course I agree with him that I wouldn't want the surgery if I was at higher risk, so I have another week to have anxiety and stress!!

I was so ready, had the house cleaned, bag packed, shopping done, I even went and got a massage on saturday, because I was so tense!! Oh well, I guess I will have to get another massage next weekend!!

All of you ladies, take care, and make sure that you thoroughly check w/ your dr. about what you can and cannot take before surgery!!!

Take care to all!

Nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 10:01 AM

I am SO sorry this happened to you. How incredibly frustrating.

This really brings home the point that you must check with your doctor before taking ANYTHING in the pre-op period. We have a partial list of things to avoid in the link at the top of this forum...please check it out.

And all LIWs should review EVERYTHING they take with their doctors before surgery...this is another good reason why a complete pre-op meeting with your doctor is so crucial.

I'm sending you a huge hug....I hope things go better for you next time.

Hang in there!!!

Karen
Unread 02-05-2002, 10:43 AM

I am so sorry that you weren't advised to stop your ibuprophen last week!! Hang in there..you and I are scheduled for the same day..I just had my pre-admission testing this morning..

I had to call the dr's office to find out what I can take for my cramps (as they are severe) and I am about to get my period.
I usually take 400-800mgs of Motrin prior to and during my period, to help with the severe pain I get..so I am hoping there will be something that I can take that won't affect my surgery..sure don't want to go through this period with nothing..
Tylenol has never helped and isn't helping now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 10:46 AM

I was told to stop taking my vitamins a week before my surgery. I take Vitamin E every day and was told that this thins out the blood. I wasn't told about the ibuprofen, but that is good to know. I won't be taking anything but my blood pressure meds from now until my surgery next week!!!
Unread 02-05-2002, 10:51 AM
something else to take

annar,

the dr. did give me a script for some pain meds, but I can only take them at night because they make me woozy. Tylenol doesn't help me either. The ibupro I took about 600 to 800 mg. a couple times a day almost every day for the last year. I think it works better because of the anti-inflammatory effects.

I'm looking forward to next week now. Just another week to prepare!

Everything happens for a reason.

Take care!!

Nicole
Unread 02-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Vitamins

I forgot about the vitamin e, but I was told that also, I forgot because I don't take it. I was told to go ahead and take my vitamins, (I had taken them with me), since there aren't any herbs in them...just vit's and minerals..

As far as the ibuprophen goes, like I said before, I didn't think it worked all the well, until I couldn't take it..I quess it did or this is an extremely bad period coming..couldn't be because I've been alittle STRESSED lately, do ya think??

Anyway, hopefully dr will know of something I can take that won't affect my surgery. Thought I'd check with the SPU also, they may know what I can take.

Hangin in there!!
Unread 02-05-2002, 12:05 PM

Wow, that's interesting. They told me no aspirin, so I took ibuprofen instead. My headaches would have been horrible without something besides Tylenol. I didn't bleed much during surgery, so I guess it doesn't always make a difference, but better safe than sorry!

Laura
Unread 02-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Ibuprofen

Hi Ladies
My surgery is 2/12 and I started my last period last night. I was told not to take any NSAIDS ( non steroidal anti inflamatory drugs- this includes ibuprofen(advil), naproxen,napresen(aleve). I am sitting at the computer with my heating pad feeling drugged from darvecet, I took vicodin last night. I timed the last dose to be 4 hr before I have to pick my daughter up at school!
I realized the ibuprofen would be a problem because I,m an RN. I called my Dr and he said yes don't take it for 2 wks before surgery. they really should tell all their surgery patients much sooner! I have been dreading this period, more than usual, I usually take twice the recomended dose of naproxen so I can function. I'm doing better than I thought I would with darvecet but I don't like feeling drugged and staying home. I'm so glad this is the last one!
Unread 02-05-2002, 12:53 PM

Nicole,
So sorry that your day at the castle will be later than anticipated. Hang in there. It will be here
before you know it. I had my pre-op appt yesterday. I had many, many questions listed on
paper for my GYN. She told me no ibuprofen for 5-8 days prior to surgery. I also found out that you're also not supposed to have any kinds of herbs. If you need to take herbs, talk to your doctor about it first. Also, Polly is correct abou the Vitamin E. I was told not to
take Vitamin E, at least in quantities, now and up until surgery. Like iburprofen,
it thins the blood. I talked to my GYN about the vitamin issue. She told me that I could
take vitamins up until the night before my surgery. This includes a multi-vitamin, which
includes Vitamin E. The Vitamin E in a multi-vitamin is very minimal, therefore, safe to
take.

Anna - I take ibuprofen on a daily basis too. Since GYN says not to take it now, she wrote
me a prescription for Ultram. This is a pain med - not an anti-inflammatory. Talk to your dr.-
he/she should be able to help you out with some type of pain relief.

Take care all,
Dawn
Unread 02-05-2002, 01:03 PM

For two of my surgeries, I wasn't given specifics on what not to take. For my third and upcoming, I have been given a HUGE list of things not to take. The priority items include IBProfen and Vitamin E. It also includes things like advil, alka-seltzer, arthritis meds, pepto-bismal, and sinus meds. They do permit me to take Tylenol for pain. (Which is nothing in comparison to the Lortab that I've had to use to manage pain.) It just shows that all Dr's are different. I am, however, very sorry to hear that your surgery was cancelled because you were not advised not to take the medication. I wish you comfort and peace of mind as you wait for your new date to arrive.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register