how much does TAH hurt?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much does TAH hurt?? how much does TAH hurt??

Unread 02-05-2002, 11:02 AM
how much does TAH hurt??

I am scheduled for my TAH on Feb. 14 th I am worried about how much this will hurt. Can some one tell me the truth. I am having general since epideral has not worked on me in the past. I am scared please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 11:14 AM
how much does TAH hurt??

Shelby,

Each person varies in their threshold for pain. You probably will have your pre-op very soon and will speak with an anesthesiologist. He/she will discuss with you options for pain management. I had pain when I woke from surgery, but it was put under control fairly quickly. I also opted for the PCA machine (patient controlled anaesthia)- you press a button when you feel pain- no need to wait for a nurse. I had some pain post op for a week or so but it was well controlled with medication.
Unread 02-05-2002, 11:53 AM
It does hurt!

No one told me anything about the pain involved in a TAH. I went in thinking it was no big deal. The good thing is that you don't know anything until its all over. They give you that happy shot in your IV and the next thing you know, they are waking you up telling you it is all over. The best advice I got was to have someone stay at the hospital with you the first night. The nurses are taking care of about 8 rooms on their shift and they don't have time to give you ice chips whenever you want them. Also it was hard to get comfortable. You really need some help the first day. Also, don't try to be tough and not take the pain medicine. You'll find yourself watching the clock for the next dose. Just remember, the first day is the worst, and it gets better every single day. Good luck. You'll do great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 12:03 PM
About the pain

Hi Shelby,

There is no getting around the fact that there is pain involved with the surgery. But at the same time, the doctors and nurses will give you what you need to be comfortable. You will be sore for about a week. I had percocet for about 4 days after I was home from the hospital. After that for about two weeks I was on Tylenol w/codine. And then I weened myself off those with just plain advil.

The bottom line: Expect some pain, but know it is managable. Take care and God bless.

Mary
Unread 02-05-2002, 12:04 PM
how much does TAH hurt??

(((((((Shelby))))))))))

Everyone is different as far as pain goes. Some girls say they have very mild pain that is controlled with motrin or tylenol as soon as the day after surgery. Others are not so lucky. My personal experience after my hyst was waking up in recovery in extremely bad pain. The nurse was fairly quick in getting it under control. Once that initial waking up pain was under control I had no problem keeping it that way. I think what really helps is getting up and walking as soon as they allow you. Try not to think about the pain. Your nurses taking care of you should keep you as comfortable as possible. Best wishes and I am hoping you are one of these lucky ones who say they have very little pain.
Unread 02-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Shelby,

Try not to worry too much about how much pain you'll be in. If you want honesty...you're getting it through the sisters who have responded to your post. When I woke up, the nurse immediately had me rate my pain on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst). I said 10 and before I knew what happened, I was down to a 1! They take very good care of you in recovery. Just remember to take deep breaths (you'll probably have an oxygen mask on at first). The medicine doesn't work quickly if you don't breathe (I was holding my breath and the nurse told me to breathe or it wouldn't work). She was right! One deep breath and voila! No pain!

After that you may have a pain pump (a Godsend).
As far as having someone stay w/you in the hospital room...everyone is different, but I did just fine after my dh left for the night. The nurses are very attentive to your needs when you get out of surgery. The second night, they'll leave you pretty much alone except for pain pill time.

So don't worry, you'll be well tended to! Good luck!
Unread 02-05-2002, 02:14 PM
how much does TAH hurt??

There's no doubt about it, there will be some pain, but it's a different kind of pain than what you're probably dealing with now. It's pain caused by doing something - getting out of bed, changing position in bed, or getting out of a chair too fast and using your abdominal muscles. It also goes away pretty quickly when you stop doing whatever it is that's causing the pain and is very easily controlled by the meds. It's pain that gets better every day because you're healing, instead of pain caused by the diseased uterus and organs that caused your problems in the first place.

I had the most extremely invasive type of TAH/BSO with a 10 inch vertical scar and HUGE fibroids, and even then, I've had much worse pain from dental procedures! I used the PCP for the first 24 hours, but then didn't need any Percocet or anything stronger than Advil after that. After about a week, I didn't even need Advil. I would compare the pain I felt for the first 24 hrs to a bad case of cramps at its worst. The nurses and the residents assigned to me were constantly asking me if I was comfortable enough, even though I had the pump that I could control myself.

The first time I got out of bed by myself, I thought someone had stuck a knife in my stomach, but I toughed it out with the help of my pain pump, and it got easier and easier every time I got up. You can't let the fear of hurting stop you from getting up and walking as much as you can, as soon as you can. The pain lessens and you learn to tolerate it every time you get up and move around.

Don't worry, hon. You're tougher than you think you are. Those of us on the other side made it through the pain and you will too. It's not as bad as you think it will be. I'd do it again in a New York minute!

Arebella
Unread 02-05-2002, 02:48 PM
how much does TAH hurt??

Hi!

Don't be scared! Although I know just how you feel -- I had my hysterectomy in October, and I was very scared about the whole experience... but you will be just fine! I am assuming you are in a lot of pain now, and probably have been for quite some time. The pain after the surgery - in my opinion - isn't half as bad as what I went through suffering with fibroids for many, many years. When you wake up in post-op, the nurses will be right there by your side, assessing your pain and giving you what you need to get it under control. Don't try to be brave about the pain! If it hurts, tell them and they will manage it. When I first woke up, the first feeling I had was "Thank goodness, it's over!" And then just knowing that the pain you are feeling at the moment will get less and less each day as you recover.

The nurses will be SO nice to you, and help you with whatever you need. Your tummy muscles will be sore, but when you are laying down resting you will probably feel no pain at all with proper pain management. After I left the hospital I only took Advil, and that worked great for me.

I guarantee you will be so glad it's over you won't concentrate on the pain! Take care, and relax! You will be just fine!
Unread 02-05-2002, 02:51 PM
Pain

Hi Shelby,

There is no question that there is pain involved in the hys. I divided the pain into two types: internal pain and incisional pain. The internal pain was pretty intense for about 30 hours after surgery. I was able to manage it pretty well with the help of the pca pump. On a scale of 1-10 I rated the pain as a 7 when all of a sudden it stopped. I didn't need any pain medication since the day after surgery. Incisional pain is when you try to sit up, get out of bed or change positions. That lasted about a week. i am 18 days post op and there are still some positions that I can't sleep in. My back bothered me after surgery and I took extra strenght tylenol when I got home. I never needed the percoset they sent me home with. Good luck with your surgery.

Unread 02-05-2002, 02:55 PM
Post TAH Pain

The others are right--we all differ in amount of pain. I was surprised I had as little as I did much of the time--for me, the gas pains and non-moving bowel were worse than the post-surgical pain. You may not wake up in the recovery room--well, you will but if you're like me you won't remember it. The new pain med pumps are wonderful! You can't overdose--use it! Getting in and out of bed and up and down off the toilet were the most painful long after the incision pain subsided. It was no picnic--but less painful overall than I was afraid it would be, and as I say, I am no staunch Viking with pain either!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register