how much does TAH hurt?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much does TAH hurt?? how much does TAH hurt??

Unread 02-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Pain management

Hi, I am new here, just waiting on the nerve to schedule my tah. I too am afraid of the pain and am waiting till I just can't take it anymore. This is silly on my part, in July of 2001, I had two surgeries within 3 weeks to remove my thyroid for cancer. I told my surgeon to do what he must but to make sure I did not hurt. When they asked me what my pain level was, I said 10, knowing they would dose me up pretty good. We have a right to be pain free or darn close to it, USE IT! I can not stress this enough! don't try to be strong, or a hero, let them know you need something. Stress to your doctor to make sure his orders are followed to the tee! I had a night nurse, both times, who was not very caring. I asked for something the day after my second surgery and she said, "YOu should not need anything, your surgery was yesterday." Let me tell you, if I had been able to get untangled from my IV, and able to talk above a whisper, she would have gotten it full force from me. How dare she judge me and tell me how I should be feeling! I seem to have developed an intolerance for people who are not compassionate. I think it's hormonal, the thyroid regulates lots of hormones, LOL wait till I loose the ovaries, then look out! Seriously, let them know you are frightened. I had 2 gf's who both went thru this in the last 6 months, they said it was not to much to take. God Bless you and good luck!! Mari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2002, 01:08 AM
how much does TAH hurt??

Hi Shelby,

I live in Plantation, Florida also. HI!

I am a hostess in Post Op. I would be happy to help you anyway I can. If you would like, you can email me or send me a Private Message.

Take care, sweetie. I look forward to hearing from you.

Blessings and s
Unread 02-06-2002, 03:03 AM
I was lucky

I had very little pain after my TAH in Sept. 2000.

The first night I called for the nurse a couple of times to get a shot of something in the butt -- after that I managed with OTC painkillers.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2002, 04:09 AM
how much does TAH hurt??

I know you said the epidural hasn't worked for you, but I got a spinal with my general before the surgery. Anesthesiologist (hand picked by a friend of mine who is an anesthesiologist at the hospital - a top teaching hospital) explained that helps for the first 24 hours and that there seemed to be evidence indicating that it made recovery easier. I had a tah/bso with a vertical incision and a big blood loss, but was still in the best shape on the ward. I got off painkillers quickly - never had more than a 4 for pain, but mostly 2's (on a scale from 1-10 - 10 being worst), got out of the hospital quickly and made a great recovery. I don't know if it was the spinal, my physical shape (decent, but not great) or the quality of the surgeon (outstanding). Probably a combination of the three. I never had any pain that couldn't be controlled by a painkiller. I used morphine for about 17 hours post-op. Then I took two percosets every 4 hours. By 30 hours post-op, I was alternating motrin with percoset. By several days after surgery, I was only taking one percoset at a time and less than every 4 hours. By 10 days after the surgery I was completely off percoset and was only taking motrin once to twice a day. By two weeks after the surgery I was completely off the motrin.

The more painful thing post-op is bowel movements. They hurt like childbirth, only much shorter. Peeing is a bit painful, too, for the first 3 weeks or so, but not as painful as bowel movements. Stick away from gassy or constipating foods. That helps.
Unread 02-06-2002, 04:27 AM
Feb 14th Lady In Waiting

Hi, I understand your concerns, I too am scheduled for LAH/BSO. You will do fine, I am a recent breast cancer survivor, had a complete mastectomy last April 30th, and a reconstruct...you can do it. Let's think of each other on the 14th and know we can do it together.
The anethesialogist is your best friend, he will do the right thing for you, just tell him your concerns.

Prayers to you,

We are in this together.
This is a great site, so informative and a comfort to me.

Donnaj

Unread 02-06-2002, 10:32 AM
how much does TAH hurt??

Shelby,

I was scared to death of the pain just after the surgery. I have to tell you I didn't have much at all. I don't remember recovery at all. I woke up in my room and I had my button. I chose the PCA (morphine pump) so I wouldn't have to wait for the nurse to come and give me a shot. My husband tells me I hardly used it. My surgery was very early 7:30am so I was in my room by 11am. My husband stayed with me until 11pm that night. I do suggest having somone with you so you don't have to wait for the nurses. The only thing I needed or wanted was ice chips and my washrag to wipe my face. (hint: bring your own washcloth as the castle only has paper) My husband kept the ice coming and rinsed the rag for me when needed. I even gave him the button and asked him to push every once in a while so I could sleep for a long time. I did sleep through the nite and they got me off the pump in the morning as it made me throw up. After the pump was gone I only took pain meds twice a day and I have to say it was only for the gas or to sleep through the nite. Good luck and don't worry it will all go well. You will be back here in no time telling your story to us. PS my very best friend is having her TAH the same day as you so the prayers and best wishes will be flying all over for both of you.
Unread 02-06-2002, 11:00 AM
how much does TAH hurt??

When I woke up in recovery I was hurting pretty badly, but the nurse was sitting right next to me the whole time and got the pain under control pretty quickly. I had a PCA in my room and that helped a lot. I left the castle on the 2nd day, and by the third day I was in less pain than I was before the surgery. By about the 6th day or so I was in almost no pain at all - it only hurt when I was getting out of bed, climbing stairs, etc. and a Tylenol or Advil was enough to take care of it. While I was in the hospital I went from an 7-8 on a 1-10 pain scale in the recovery room to a 2-3 back in my room, to a 1-2 once I was home. It was WAY less painful than I thought it was going to be.

Best of luck to you

Heidi
Unread 02-06-2002, 11:15 AM
how much does TAH hurt??

Shelby
You have received lots of good advice but one. Don't let any one else press the PCA button! It can get your nurse in deep trouble and if you are asleep you don't need more. If you wake up in pain the relief is almost instant when you press the button. Thats probably why Pennot got nausea. Morophine , dermerol and teylenol w/ codeine all cause constipation as well. Percocet and vicoden are a little better for nausea and constipation.
My surgery is next week 2/12, a LAVH, and I'm an RN. Alittle worried I know too much and will be a bad patient!
Unread 08-13-2005, 03:01 PM
how much does TAH hurt??

Hi there

Thanks for your story I am going in for my op on 22nd Aug LAH/BSO and I have 2 large fobroids Here's hoping it all goes ok
Unread 08-13-2005, 11:21 PM
how much does TAH hurt??

They kept me so drugged up in the hospital that I never had any pain at all. I don't remember very much of my hospital stay. I even slept on my side the first night, which I was not able to do for 3-4 weeks once I got home and off all of the drugs. Everyone is different, but I only took pain meds until my 4th day post-op.

I was amazed at how sore I was the first week. I felt like I had done a million crunches. Getting in and out of bed was uncomfortable. Even though it hurt, I never really considered it to be pain, just soreness......major soreness!

Also urinating was uncomfortable for several weeks. I had a pulling/tugging feeling in my bladder when it would get close to empty. Bowel movements were never painful to me. I took Gas-X and stool softeners for 2 weeks.

You can probably expect to be very swollen for a while. And I came home 9 pounds heavier from all the fluids. It came off pretty quick....I had to pee about every 30 minutes at first.
Now at 8 weeks post-op I still have swelly belly in the evenings.

Once you start moving around more you will probably be very tired. I was shocked at how tired I was after just walking around in the house.

All in all, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I was terrified. The waiting was the hardest part and I made it much worse in my mind than it really was.

Also, the recovery was very boring for me. I felt like I was on "house arrest" for weeks. That part was harder than I imagined.

Good luck to you. I wish you the best.
Cheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register