Has Anyone Had Success Having A Second Rectocele Repair? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has Anyone Had Success Having A Second Rectocele Repair? Has Anyone Had Success Having A Second Rectocele Repair?

Unread 11-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Has Anyone Had Success Having A Second Rectocele Repair?

Hi,

I will need another rectocele repair within a year. My concern is having another episiotomy within a year to have it repaired. I know it will greatly weaken my perenium. Has anyone had any success getting it done a second time? I already had an episiotomy done 22 years ago at the birth of my first daughter. I am 52 years old. And extremely scared I will have to live with this rectocele forever.

Thank you for any replies and hope you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Re: Has Anyone Had Success Having A Second Rectocele Repair?

My rectocele repair (have only had it done once 8 weeks ago) was all internal.... through the posterior vaginal wall and the fascia behind that. Maybe your surgery will be internal this go around.

My episiotomy at the birth of my son was huge (through both vagina and rectum) due to his posterior position and use of high forceps, which did tear the vagina and resulted in an eventual grade 3+ rectocele. My son is turning 35 next month, so this was a long time in developing to that grade 3+ but from the get-go after his birth tampons were no longer an option. I have my fingers crossed that my recent surgery will be my only surgery.

Keep us posted!
Unread 11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Has Anyone Had Success Having A Second Rectocele Repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid1881 View Post
My rectocele repair (have only had it done once 8 weeks ago) was all internal.... through the posterior vaginal wall and the fascia behind that. Maybe your surgery will be internal this go around.

My episiotomy at the birth of my son was huge (through both vagina and rectum) due to his posterior position and use of high forceps, which did tear the vagina and resulted in an eventual grade 3+ rectocele. My knewa long time in developing to that grade 3+ but from the get-go after his birth tampons were no longer an option. I have my fingers crossed that my recent surgery will be my only surgery.

Keep us posted!
In my anxiety I messed up. This would be my third episiotomy as I had one 22 years ago at my daughters birth and one 5 weeks ago to do many vaginal prolapses and the rectocele has already prolapsed because I don't think the surgeon did a site specific repair as I thought he was going to on the rectal wall. Apparently he thought it was okay and didn't need much repair after the uterine suspension. But it's right back where it was and very uncomfortable. Now I feel I am stuck with it. I guess I need to change the thread.

Thank you for your reply.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Pico,

before you face another surgery have you tried vaginal estrogen cream and/or pelvic floor PT?
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Success with second surgeries

Hi All,

I started a thread before but want to ask again if anyone out there had success with second surgeries. After multiple prolapse surgery 5 weeks ago, I am experiencing a reprolapseHi of my rectocele. Everything else seems to be holding up. Has anyone had success with second surgery for their rectoceles. I didn't have sight specific surgety and was going to look into that.

Thanks for your help in this.
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:19 PM

I had a posterior repair at the time of my hysterectomy. I did not have a rectocele at that time but the repair was to tighten my vagina which was horribly stretched during my first delivery.

Almost immediately I developed symptoms of rectocele, quite possibly due to the changed angle caused by the Burch procedure I also had. I lived with it for over a year, with my gyn asserting that I didn't need another repair. He finally referred me to a colon-rectal surgeon who proposed a transanal approach. This wasc
done as a day surgery and the results were well worth having another surgery.

Best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register