Keeping Cervix??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping Cervix??? Keeping Cervix???

Unread 02-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Keeping Cervix???

I just realized today that they are planning on taking my cervix out with my uterus, through the vagina. I am so frustrated right now. I am glad I found this site. I really need some advice. I am concerned about vaginal shortening, lack of sexual feeling and moisture in the vagina. Are these all unfounded? Can they do a vaginal hyster and leave the cervix? Should I opt for the abdominal? It took about 3 years to make this decision. I am 49 and I don't want to make a decision that I will regret for the rest of my life. S.O.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Keeping Cervix???

It's a personal decision, I chose to keep mine, knowing it would mean abdominal surgery. I haven't regretted it yet, though it's early.
As far as I know, if it's a subtotal hyst, it must be abdominal, I haven't heard of any done vaginally yet.
Unread 02-05-2002, 08:54 PM
Keeping Cervix???

I had a TAH/BSO on12/26/01. The dr. and I had already decided she could have the ovaries. My bond with them was over as I had
already been on HRT for 4 years. (Surgery was reccommended 9 years before). I assumed she would add the cervix in her pile with the uterus and ovaries. At my pre-op, we discussed that since I have never had a bad Pap we would see what happened in surgery. My cervix was low as far as trying to get from the operative site and she felt it might help with bladder support. I knew I would still have to see the doctor yearly anyway for my hormones so adding a Pap was no big deal. It didn't make me a difference one way or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2002, 07:52 AM
Subtotal Hysterectomy or

Hi:

I am having my subtotal hysterectomy done laproscopically (I will still have a small incision above my pubic bone)..so I am having what my dr calls a laproscopic assisted supracervical hysterectomy or LASH or LSH

Yes they can remove your uterus vaginally and leave the cervix, they would need to make a cut behind the cervix and remove it through the vagina that way if they do the surgery laproscopically..that is only if they don't have a mordecellator (spelling?), which is a machine that is very expensive and not all hospitals have them..if they have that, then it will be removed through a small incision above your pubic bone. Sometimes it's necessary to remove the uterus abdominally especially if large fibroids are involved (this is what I have read and been told by my dr), not sure if all dr's feel that way..so that's something you would have to discuss with the dr...there are protocols for this type of surgery that have to met in order to be able to have it.

I would also suggest you look up "supracervical hysterectomy" or subtotal hysterectomy or laproscopic supracervical hysterectomy.

There is a site, Obgyn.net that has some of information on subtotal hysterectomies (where they leave the cervix), and the ways it can be performed..and who would be a canditate..(Hope that was ok to mention that site).

I hope I was able to help alittle, but please call your dr with your questions.
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:28 AM
Thank God I did not keep mine

Hi
I thank God every day that I had my cervix removed. I went in for fibroids only. I was debating on having the cervix removed and read a lot of pros and cons. When my husband and I talked to my doctor she said that she normally takes it (precautionary usually). I thank God she did. When they removed it they found cancer within the lining of the cervix that had never showed up in any of the pap smears I've had for the last 20 years.

I will still need to go in once a year for a checkup but at least the worst is gone. My surgery date was 1/3/02. I have not had sex yet; but I got to tell you, I would rather not have cancer.

Good luck.

Crystal
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:39 AM
Cervix

Welcome Light!

I had a tvh/bso done on 11/19/01 and yes they took my cervix also. It can be done vaginally without any additonal incisions. It is a decision you must make if you want to keep it or not, unless your doctor says it must go. As far as feeling and such, I have not noticed anything such as vaginal shortening, lack of feeling or difference in vaginal moisture at all. I too was concerned about it, but now having the surgery I feel no different than I did before just not having any pain now. Good luck on your surgery!

& s
Unread 02-06-2002, 08:40 AM
Good Bye!!

I had an LAVH & from everything that I have heard....no, they can not do a vaginal hysterectomy & leave the cervix in.

I have not had any problems with lubrication, shortening of the vagina, etc. Actually, sex is better.

As far as opting for an abdominal....I would talk to my doctor if I were you...they often know what is best & easiest. I can tell you that recovery from vaginal hyst. is a lot easier & quicker than abdominal.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same way. In other words....why take the long way around, when there is a bridge right in front of you?

Endo-Chic
Unread 02-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Keeping Cervix???

Whether or not to keep your cervix is a difficult question to answer, each of us has to make a decision that's best for ourselves, but I can give you some things to think about. Discuss these things with your doctor, and between the two of you, you can make the best decision for YOU.

1. Cancer. Is there any history of cancer in your family? Removing the cervix drastically lowers your chances of cervical cancer (still a remote possibility due to the chance of some cells being left behind)

2. Bleeding. Some women who keep their cervix end up having "mini-periods" monthly (only if they also have at least one ovary). These seem to be rare, and are very light, but are a possibility.

3. Sex. There are many conflicting opinions on whether the cervix contributes to sexual pleasure. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. I can say in MY case, at least, sex is wonderful after the surgery (I had my cervix removed). My doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference, and in my case at least, she was right - neither myself nor my husband can tell any difference.

Keep reading, talk to your doctor, and good luck with your decision!
Unread 02-06-2002, 09:37 AM
For each her own

Ask 10 women, get 10 different answers. My doc does not leave the cervix when she does a vaginal procedure. That was the end of that conversation.

I opted for a abdominal, supracervical procedure, keeping both ovaries. All people heal at their own rate - a friend had a vaginal procedure and was in the hospital 5 days, while I at day six went to a HS soccer game. Was she weak? Was I "tough"? Neither, each person is different.

Thoroughly discuss your concerns with your physician, read everything you can find, consider your personal medical history as well as that of your family. I had an agreement with my doctor that if something was even slightly questionable in appearance then it should "be gone", and if I woke up with a total and BSO I would not be upset because I respected her decision.

You can find horror and success stories from both sides. Even though I kept my cervix and ovaries sex has been a very different experience for me (I suppose due to the loss of uterine contractions) but many many women say there is no noticable change for them, in fact some women say things are better than ever.

Talk to your doctor. My doc said that the most important thing was for me to be comfortable with my decision.
Unread 02-06-2002, 10:47 AM
Keeping Cervix???

I had my tah/bso 4 weeks ago. I was on this site for at least 4 weeks pre-op. I debated within myself over and over about the cervix issue. I opted the day of surgery to lose it. I think it was 2 reasons, I wanted to keep it. One was, it was part of me that wasn't damaged and I felt I was already losing so much. Two, I thought it would give me more pelvic support.
Well, my mother was with me as I waited to go into surgery. She talked to me about the cervix and how her sister and her own mother has had cervical cancer. I thought of my beautiful 4 kids and how I'd do anything to be here longer with them. So I had a strong history of cervical cancer and made my choice.

Zero vaginal dryness btw. I actually think I am more moist now.
My vagina is just as long it seems to me as before.
So, I am grateful I chose to lose my cancer risk.
I can say if I didnt have a risk factor, I'd kept it tho.

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register