Question about Fibroids..? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Fibroids..? Question about Fibroids..?

Unread 02-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Question about Fibroids..?

I feel kinda dumb asking this, but do fibroids make your stomach distended, like you're pregnant? I had this wild thought( in the shower of all places), that I may have them. I have never been checked for them, but it may explain why I have "unexplained" bleeding. I found out the other day that my mother had a hyst for fibroids. To explain, we are not close as my father and step mother raised me. Anyway, I had heard at one time that sometimes they can run in families.
The reason I am asking is that I am scheduled for a TVH, and I'm afraid if my uterus is too big, that they will have to cut my stomach too. Should I have my doctor check before surgery, or trust that he knows what's up? I don't want him to feel like I'm second guessing him, but I'm kinda fearing double incisions!
Do you think I'm just being paranoid and maybe I'm just trying to think of something to go wrong?
I also got to thinking that my belly being so big(I'm not that much overweight anywhere else and no amount of ab excercise has been able to get rid of it) may be why I have so much pain and pressure and maybe why things are prolapsing???
Any help would be appreciated!
Kelkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2002, 12:10 AM
fibroids

Hi, Kelkie! Yes, fibroids can make your abdomen distended, and it's a possibility for causing your bigger belly. Internal fibroids in the lining or muscle of the uterus can cause the uterus to get enlarged: and the external ones can grow very large (like basketball size!), putting pressure on internal organs. There are web sites that show pictures and diagrams and helpful info about fibroids. Check the "helpful links" thread at the top of this page and you can click to them. If the fibroids/uterus are not too large, your dr can remove them through the vagina, but if he finds them too large, you're right about them having to come out through the abdomen. You would still have an incision at the top of the vaginal vault (sewed up after the cervix is out and called the vaginal cuff) if you're planning to have the cervix removed, so it wouldn't be an extra incision. I think it's worth it to try for a vag hyst if possible, since the pain and swelling seem to be less, but be prepared for an abd. hyst if it's necessary. Your dr may be pretty sure that he's able to do a TVH, so we'll hope that's the case! The recovery time for either vag or abd hyst is the same, and you'll do fine either way, I'm sure. Hugs and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 02-06-2002, 02:12 AM
Kelkie

Hi there hun. Yes fibroids can make your stomach distended, but are not the only reason for bloating. Endeo can also make your stomach distended also along with probably a few other things.
I had Fibroids, severe endeo an enlarged and prolapsed uterus and bladder and my stomach was that of a 5 month pregnancie. I had an LAVH/RSO and bladder repair in Sep of last year. I to would opt for the vaginal hyst, mine came out no trouble so it would have to be extremely large to have the surgeon change to an ab Hyst.
Also yes to the question about Fibroids running in families, they sure can. Hugs please try to be calm, have faith in your DR and all will be well. Let us know how it goes. Hugs Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2002, 04:18 AM

An ultrasound should show if you have fibroids. Ask for one.

I had a fibroid the size of a volleyball and yes my abdomen was extended. I not only needed a tah, but a vertical incision because it was so big. While I've got a scar, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. In fact, my recovery has been easy.
Unread 02-06-2002, 07:41 AM

If you are thinking you may have fibroids I would ask for an ultrasound. I have fibroids inside of the wall of my uterus and they even show up on the ultrasound. If they are there, the ultrasound will show them.

Good luck and certainly ask your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register