I hope I am doing the right thing, HELP!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I hope I am doing the right thing, HELP!! I hope I am doing the right thing, HELP!!

Unread 02-07-2002, 09:19 AM
I hope I am doing the right thing, HELP!!

Hi all, so glad to be here, first time poster here, I am having a TAH on Feb.28th, I have been having terrible periods since my tubal seven years ago, ultrasound found a fibroid mass in my uturus and my ovaries are full of small cysts, question is should I have the hysterectomy to fix my problems? I often have stabbing pains in my uturus , my periods are so bad that I am totally unable to function during that time of the month. I have a long history of ovarian cysts, have had surgery twice to remove them, and several have ruptured, I have just been treated with aygesten to melt one large cyst off my right ovary, but still have tons of small ones in both ovaries, any advice will be helpful, its not to late to cancel the surgery, but will the alternatives be worth facing the same problems in the future??? thank you from the bottom of my heart for any advice. DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2002, 09:48 AM
Your health

Welcome DJ!

I am so glad you found this site. It has been more than I can say to hear words of encouragement and support from all who are here. I know you are probably toiling over many options about this surgery. From the sounds of your problems and your history of everything you have done prior, things just aren't going away for you. You are the only one who knows for sure if this is what you want done. Your doctor has done his/her part in getting all the tests completed and results back. Now you must weigh the options of surgery or not. It is not always an easy decision but if you ask anyone who has had this surgery I'm sure the majority of each would tell you that it is the best thing they have ever done. This is a health issue and once you get all the "bad" things out of you, you will feel soooo much better. Your life will continue and actually change in that you don't have the problems you have now to slow you down if you have the surgery. I know personally it has been an enormous stress off my body and I feel so much better than I have for a long time. In my opinion, I would encourage you to have the surgery if nothing more than for a health reason. We, here at Hystersisters, will give you all the support and encouragement that you will need. We are all here for you in good times and bad times. THINK of yourself now and decide if you want to continue your life with all these problems or have the surgery and not have to worry about the problems any more.

Good luck in your decision and remember we are all here for you...

s &
Unread 02-07-2002, 10:04 AM

Hi DJ,

I just found this site a few days ago and I had the same concerns that you do. Although I have a terrible time during my period and have had surgeries to correct my problems, I too was unsure if a hysterectomy was the solution.

However, after a few days of comforting and encouraging words from my fellow "Hyster-Sisters", I am more comfortable with the idea. The main thing is to regain your quality of life. (Mine has diminished with all this pain.)

This site is great for information and answers to questions you might have. (But always remember to ask your doctor too!)

God Bless you and just know that we're here for you!

CJ59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2002, 03:52 PM

Hi there!

I certainly can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that my hyst was the best way for me to go, and I didn't have all the cyst problems you have. My quality of life has increased significantly. I don't have days where I'm in pain all day long anymore. I don't have three-week long periods. I don't have to wonder if I'm going to embarrass myself by either going to the bathroom every 30 minutes or making a mess.

Now I am in control of my day every day. I determine what I'm going to do by what opportunities are out there and not by how rotten I feel or how bad my period is.

I'm no doctor, and not all surgeries turn out as great as mine did, but for me a hyst was the way to go. I did keep my ovaries, so most of the big hormonal issues weren't on my plate.

I'd look at all my options if I were you, find the best surgeon in your area, make a decision and then never look back.

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!
Unread 02-07-2002, 07:34 PM
Hello DJ

Your decision is one of the most important things you will have to do. You need to feel secure in what you chose. Your DR will help in that he/she will know all the things medically that is going to happen to you. Now we here are the ones to tell you what is going to happen or what we had happen in our experience with surgery. One of the sisters said make a decision and don't look back. That is great advice, when I make a decision it may take me a while but after I come to a decision I never second guess if it was right or not. So read a lot here and ask questions. Sounds like you have a lot of problems, so there may not be any other way except surgery. God Bless and we are always here to help any way we can.
Unread 02-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Perhaps getting a 2nd opinion might help?

Assuming your work-up has been done, your GYN has presented you with all the options and has probably made a recommendation to have the hyst done.....the only thing for you to do is ponder just what to do.

If you think it would help to have a 2nd opinion, go for it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Otherwise, you need to weigh the benefits of whatever conservative alternatives are left for you to try vs the reality of having major surgery done.

No one here can tell you what to do. Discuss further with your MD and your partner/family. Are you prepared to not be able to have kids (you didn't say how old you are)? This surgery is permanent and irreversible. Compare that against how you feel every month. It will boil down to what you can personally live with. This is your body and it will be your written consent ... don't rush into this if you aren't sure this is the best thing for you to do now.

If you opt to have the ovaries removed, you are looking at surgical menopause. Are you prepared for that? This isn't something to rush into. You need to feel sure of your decision and confident in the surgeon you will use to do this.

For me, like many others, the decision wasn't hard to make. Everyone's situation is different. Me, I was already in my 40s and didn't care that I wouldn't be able to have kids. I just wanted the problem gone. I have absolutely no regrets with my decision and sleep well at nights (and pain-free). You need to be able to do the same.
Unread 02-07-2002, 09:38 PM

Hi DJ,

I can't tell you what to do, but I would like to tell you a little bit about myself.

I had been suffering for at least 5 years with very painful periods, very heavy bleeding for at least 2 days every month, and it was getting to the point where heavy bleeding was lasting longer and longer-at least a week of wearing a super plus tampon and an overnight pad that had to be changed about every 45 minutes or so. I was trying to plan my life around my cycles, but the last few months I would bleed for almost an entire month, stop for a couple weeks, and start all over again. I was taking iron pills for anemia, was 49 years old, my 2 children are in there 20's, so no thoughts of more kids (dh had a vasectomy 20 years ago). I went to a new MD who did an ultrasound that revealed one fibroid tumor, and she referred me to a gynecologist. That was in April of 2000. He tried mediciation, which I took for 15 days and then went off to supposedly get a "light" period. I got this period and almost went to the ER the bleeding was so bad. After that episode, he did a D&C which didn't reveal much except a polyp which he removed. I was then to wait and see if periods got better. Well, they got worse, so he told me the only other option was a hysterectomy. I was really tired of feeling so bad all of the time and wanted my life back, so I scheduled the hyst. I had 6 weeks from schedule date and surgery, and believe me, even after all I had been through, I still wondered if I was being too hasty!!! A week before my surgery, I got a period that made me realize that I needed this surgery more than anything!! So on 9/27/00 I had a TAH/BSO (was supposed to be LAVH/BSO, but uterus was too large to remove vaginally). Turns out I had endometriosis, adenomyosis, and endocervicitis. DR. said with all I had wrong, nothing else would have helped me. I feel absolutely wonderful and really feel like I have my life back.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-08-2002, 09:37 AM

DJ, as the rest have said it's your decision but here's my experience and what criteria I used in my decision making process.

I had the severe stabbing pains in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. I had the severe bleeding, yeah wearing 2 ultra tampons AND an overnight pad and then changing every 45 minutes; my personality changed and I became a raving b**** capable of verbally reducing the world's biggest tyrant to a puddle of tears in a nanosecond! I was anemic. I felt like an alien force had overtaken my body. Then I started to put 2+2 together. I called my sister who is 13 years older than I. I knew she had a hyst years ago (funny, when she was 47) -- I then asked her about our mom's "menopause" because she was at an age where she could relate to mom about that stuff and my sister had asked mom the questions when she was pondering her own hyst. Additionally, my mother ended up having a hysterectomy at in her mid 70's because of a ruptured ovarian cyst. Well, if that wasn't an eyeopener and the deciding factor for me I don't know what was. Made the decision and as the other's have said, haven't looked back and -- in the words of my doc at my two week checkup -- you know, you made the right decision. For me the question asking and decision making all started in October - by December the decision was made and I had my operation on January 14th. I feel like a new woman -fatter but osoveryhappy! Good luck to you in whatever process you decide to use. s. Beth
Unread 02-08-2002, 11:15 AM
update about decision

Hey all you, Well the decision is made and I am going to have a TAH on Feb. 28th, today I went in and signed the insurance forms and now have my pre op appointment scheduled for Feb.21st, unfortunantly I will have to have a pelvic on this day, this has been the most painful part of my visits to my obgyn, except for the biopsys, I hope this is normal to have before surgery. I am still a little worried about doing this, but I think I am makeing the right decision, I want to thank all of you for the encouraging words and for helping me to accept my decision. I am sure I will have a hundered questions during the next three weeks, so I hope you all won't mind me bending your ears for awhile, and I will surely be back in touch afterwords to let ya know how it goes. I am 35 years old and I to have been having those stabbing pains in my uturus, they bring me to my knees, not to mention the anemia I have been dealing with for years. I break into tears when I try to explain to my doctor how terribly tired I am all of the time, and my family is also suffering, I am now anxious to get this over with, and the waiting is already beginning to become bothersome. I have lots to do around the house, health permitting, with preparing for my long recovery, I need to clean, and cook for the family, three daughters, 16, 14, and 7, not to mention my husband who has a broken leg at this time. But please don't feel sorry for me, I am strong and with your support I think I can overcome anything at this point. I have a great family and they are all supporting my decision and are willing to help me all they can. This site is a blessing to me, I truely enjoy reading your replys to my posts, keep them comming. I love you all, and thanks again, Darla in NC
Unread 02-08-2002, 11:57 AM
Healthy Everafter

DJ,

Just a little info for you....I also had trouble with rupturing cysts. The pain alone from that made me realize that it was time to do something. The other issue was...my gyn told me that infection from the excess fluid in the abdominal cavity could cause problems and I would continue to have pain and have to take antibiotics....WELLLL, we all know that antibiotics cause yeast infections AND you know how bad that is! Along with the HEAVY periods and also a swollen bladder, urinary pressure and a bit of incontinence, a small myoma on my uterus as well as enlarged...well, you get the message.

The decision was ultimately mine, and I didn't want to have to continue having vaginal ultrasounds, taking antibiotics, having yeast infections and risk being miserable for months on end. He could have just taken the cyst and possibly ovary, but then I would have had to have the uterus later....

For me, (and it has to be your decision), it was the best thing I could have done. I am looking forward to an evening of FUN and pampering with my husband on V-Day (taking him to a hotel...) and I don't have to worry about pain or anything like that! I am truly excited!!!!

Good luck to you in your decision-making process. God bless you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register