Another Thing To Worry About! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another Thing To Worry About! Another Thing To Worry About!

Unread 02-07-2002, 10:39 AM
Another Thing To Worry About!

Hi Again,
My eyes actually burn from reading so many posts recently. I have a problem with my insurance company and am just wondering about others and how long your hospital stays have been.

My doctor told me at my pre-op that I would go in for my surgery on the 13th and go home on the 15th. I am having a TAH. Today I called my insurance company to make sure everything was set and she said I was approved for surgery on the 13th, being discharged on the 14th!!! I thought, this is nuts!!! I called my doctors office back and was told that is the way my insurance company does it and if I have any problems (you know, the usual fever, not moving bowels, not eating) they would reassess it on a daily basis. I'm planning on recovering quickly (optimistic) but I was looking forward to two days at the castle with professionals watching over me.

My question is, has anyone had a TAH and gone home the next day? Do you all find that things are back in "working order" by the next day? This is so frustrating that an insurance company dictates my release date. I guess the doctor will have the final say, though, in the end.

Looking forward to hearing any and all responses. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2002, 11:20 AM

Just tell them you're really dizzy. Per my son's pediatrician - no doctor wants to discharge too quickly after surgery if patient is dizzy because of the liability if they fall.

I left in under 48 hours and did fine, but no way could I have left in the first 30.
Unread 02-07-2002, 11:34 AM

Polly,

A few insurance companies in the U.S. are now approving only a one night stay for a TAH, unless there are the complications you noted. I went home after 36 hours and did fine. I had an office visit to my doctor 4 days post op and then another one 7 days post op. They won't release you if you're not yet able to eat (could you leave everything on your plate, feigning nausea and have your family sneak in food when the nurses aren't looking- LOL!!!) I felt fine, but I was slightly anxious as I had been told 3-4 days was the typical stay. To some extent I was glad to get out of the hospital. I was on a floor with extremely ill patients. It was very noisy, and I feared catching a viral illness. There is a nursing shortage in many hospitals as well, and that makes for a less than happy experience.

Pretty soon I fear there will be "drive-through" hysterectomies in the US. In Germany they still allow 2 weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2002, 02:40 PM

Hi Polly....Just read your post, I am on the same page as you. I am scheduled for TVH 2/19 at 7:30am. I received call from my insurance carrier (a nurse) to ask if I had any questions about the procedure, etc.) I too was told that I would be in for one night only. This at first alarmed me, but decided I would rather do recovery in the comfort of my own home. (barring any complications) I would have liked to add one more overnight to my stay and put it at the front of the ordeal, cuz now I am having to arrive at castle at 4:30am. I think what our insurance carriers are telling us is pretty common these days. Good luck on the big day, I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 02-07-2002, 03:30 PM

Help!!! I'm oh so dizzy and I can't eat a thing!!! Love your suggestions, ladies. Everyone here is always good for a laugh. I actually am looking on the bright side - I'm going home with pain meds anyway, I'm sure. I won't have to ring a nurse and wait for her to bring me pain medication. And if I want juice or water, DH will be right there with it in seconds, no waiting for the nurse or hoping she brings it nice and cold, just the way I like it. And don't even get me started on hospital food. I'm sure even DH will do better for me. Oh yeah, and the shower, my wonderful, big shower stall where DH can put a plastic chair for me and I can sit there as long as my little heart desires! Being home the next day is sounding better and better to me all the time. Just hope I feel up to it!!!

Pudge - good luck with your surgery too. 4:30??? That's outrageous! I am scheduled for 7:30 also but don't have to be there until 6:30. Thank goodness.

Polly
Unread 02-07-2002, 05:02 PM

Dear Polly,

My surgery was first thing on a Monday a.m., and I was home in time for lunch on Tuesday. The hospital seemed noisy & the food was marginal... I was relieved to be home in my natural habitat, with my mom & DH waiting on me.

AND, my insurance company sent a visiting nurse to my house on Wednesday to check up on me
Unread 02-07-2002, 05:31 PM

Oh my, I can't imagine leaving in 24-48 hours. I had my hyst on a Wed. and went home on Sunday morning. I am a gym rat and walker. I was in very good shape for all my female problems when I had my hyst and needed the care of nurses for 4 days. I had no complications, but my goodness, I needed to be in the hospital for many reasons. My doc let me decide when I was ready. My hubby took care of me for 2 days at home and finally on day 10 I felt safe enough to get out of bed without fainting. Be so very careful and do not rush! If you need help, ASK! Good luck!
Unread 02-07-2002, 06:14 PM

OK...I am not in the insurance field, nor any type of expert. However, I have heard this very concern voiced numerous times here, and here's what I hear from *those-that-know*.
Most if not all doctors have their own personal preference for the number of days a surgical patient stays in the castle. This depends on the surgery procedure, the patient, and any complications which the doc is aware of going in. Anyway, most insurance companies (mine included) typically have a *set* number of days for in patient stays, usually because they have to have some starting point, say...in the insurance company policy papers or somewhere like that. All the doc (usually) needs to do is contact the insurance co. and request an additional days' stay. From what *I* understand from others here, this is actually only a formality, the ins. co rarely disputes a three day stay vs. a two day stay. The contact can be as basic as a phone call/fax or whatever.

Does that make sense? I am not familiar with docs routienly dismissing a patient from surgery until a 'checklist' of things happen. (moving bowels, eating, no fever, wound healing, etc.)

Remember that this was not an issue for me personally, so I very may well be mis-informed somehow! I would ask perhaps the nurse how long an average stay is, and under what conditions would the deciding factors allow an additional day?

Hope this helped some...FWIW, I had a five day hospital stay, requested by my doctor and approved by the insurance without incident.

Best of luck to you!

Ami
Unread 02-07-2002, 09:56 PM

I was scheduled for a LAVH/BSO, and the Dr. said I would probably need to stay in the hospital 1 night. When he had to convert to TAH/BSO, he said right away I would have to stay an extra night. I really do not believe I could have gone home the next day. I was still on the morphine pump, took several hrs. after the catheter was removed for my bladder to work, and I did have an upset stomach the first day after surgery. I guess I went home about 42 hours after surgery, and did fine. However, I went home on a Fri. and luckily dh was home with me all weekend.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-08-2002, 06:48 AM

Polly,

I went home after just one night in the hospital for my TAH.

I was supposed to have a LAVH, but there were other problems inside that the doctor had not known until he was able to get in there. When he talked about the possiblity of the TAH, he did say the hospital stay would be 2-3 days instead of the usual 1 day with the LAVH. When I found out I had to have the TAH, I was pretty bummed at the idea of spending more time in the hospital!

I was pleasantly surprised how great I felt after coming out of my anestesia fog. I was up walking around by 7:00 AM the next morning, it actually felt better to stand up and walk than laying in bed. I was using the bathroom and eating with no problems and the pain was manageable with oral medication.

When the doctor came in to check on me, he was surprised at how well I was doing, because of that he said that I could go home whenever I felt like getting dressed. I was more than ready to head back to my own comfy bed and to peace and quiet..a hospital is no place to get any rest!

I have had no medical complications from my surgery and was happy I didn't have to spend another night in the hospital.

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register