epilectic seizures fear of needles | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

epilectic seizures fear of needles epilectic seizures fear of needles

Unread 02-07-2002, 07:38 PM
epilectic seizures/needles/freaken out!

I have a serious phobia of needles. I go to the eye doctor and pass out. When I go to the dentist they call an abulance. The last surgery I had was a tubal and I had an epileptic seizure when they put the i.v. in my arm. When the surgery was over and I was in the recovery room the needle was still in my arm and I begged them to take it out. They said no. I kept throwing up and everytime they made me get up to walk around and go to the bathroom I would pass out because the i.v. was following me. I can' not stand stitches either. I passed out in the bathroom the first shower I took when I got home and saw them. I am so scared to go the hospital. My surgery date is Feb. 15. I am a basket case. My emotions are out of control and I'm crying all the time. I know I have to have the hysterectomy because of the 5 tumors and the heavy periods and the unbelievable cramps. I take 800mg every 4 hours. I can't handle belly pain. Does anyone wish they just wouldn't wake up from this surgery? My husband is running the other way when I need his support the most. He doesn't come home after work on a Friday and doesn't even call to tell me where he is. We are only married 5 months. I try to ask him what is wrong and he yells at me. I'm hanging by a thread here. He was mad because I asked him if he could take a few days vacation to help me after the surgery and he got mad. It's like he is mad at me for this happening. I can't help it and don't know what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Oh Sweetheart I feel like giving you a hug!!

it is only a cyber hug but hope it will help. I know the feeling my DH did the same only we have been married for 31 years, but he was at the hospital when they did my surgery it just he didn't want me to have it and I had no choice. Are there friends you can rely on for a few days after your surgery? Church group something try to find someone to stay with you or at least be by the phone so they can come to you. You really need someone at least for the first week. You still have to take it easy but you can get around a little better after that first week. You a lot so that is good. Can't help with the needle thing I always hated them but when I was pregant with my DS I was in and out of the hospital with needles stick here and there so I got use to them. Your IV will be there but if you drink a lot they will take it out or they did mine. my big thing was the cath. it stayed until the next day. I also had oxygen I have asthma and needed for the first couple of days. Don't know what to say about the castle just God will listen. God Bless and wish I could be iwth you to help.
Unread 02-07-2002, 08:36 PM
epilectic seizures fear of needles

Hi, Godivalady,

I'm sorry to hear about your fear of needles. I'm a retired RN, and I've known of lots of people with this problem, but I'm a little concerned about the severity of your phobia. I don't have any answers to offer you, but I do have a suggestion.

I think it's essential that you let your doctor know about your fears, in detail. Please tell your doctor about your previous experiences, especially the epileptic seizure you experienced. Even if your doctor already knows all about it, you need to talk about it some more.

Surgery causes anxiety for a lot of us, but I'm worried about you, and I don't want you to suffer unnecessarily, because of this fear. If your doctor understands how frightened you are, you and the doc may be able to develop a plan for getting you through this. If you and the doctor can agree on a plan of treatment for you, before you are admitted for surgery, it may make the experience easier for you.

I hope you and your doctor can work out a plan together. Please let us know how you're doing. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2002, 07:14 AM
I have the same fear!

I too have always had a fear of needles and have done lots of interesting things for doctors even when they said it was impossible. For instance, I remember a time when a nurse had to do a blood test. I warned her in advance that I would pass out since I had never had a shot or anything related to a needle done and not passed out. Anyway, she told me it was impossible. She did what she needed to do and I walked out into the hall and passed out.

I have passed out many times, often after the event which can be pretty scary. I have also had siezures like you that have scared the living daylights out of those who were around.

However, I have found that recently, since I have been so sick and needed lots of things involving needles, that I am getting better.

I always make sure that everyone knows in advance that I will probably pass out on them. I ask to lay down. I never look at the needle -- at all! I talk to the person about anything and everything to take my mind off of what it happening and I pray, pray, pray! I also take deep breaths before!

I have found that this helps but is not full proof. I just had a small surgery and had an IV for the first time and they had to put me on oxygen. It wasn't fun but I made it.

I understand what you are going through.

I would suggest asking your doctor for a sedative before the surgery, IV, etc. I have heard that it is possible and I am going to ask for one myself and try not to think about the needles. The more you think, the worse you will become!

Good luck and God bless.

Brandi
Unread 02-09-2002, 09:43 AM
Thank you!

It is such a God sent to find this web site! My Hystersisters are the greatest! It is absolutely amazing to find such wonderful caring people in this world, that don't even know me. I still am a basket case for Mon. the 11th I go in to have blood taken. I will tell them to let me lay down and I never look at the needle. I think about it going in my arm though and that freaks me out. I think to much about it even though I'm trying to think of a zillion different things. My hubby is going to take me because I usually am a mess afterwards and light headed after fainting. YEAH, he's taking me. He also is taking two wks off from work now. Yippie! I hope they can give me gas before they put the iv in. I am going to talk to the anesthesia doctor on Mon. wish me luck!
Unread 02-09-2002, 10:48 AM
epilectic seizures fear of needles

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about the lack of support you're feeling from your husband. I wish there was some way we could provide that support for you - well, hopefully coming to this site will help somewhat

I have epilepsy, and a fear of my own blood (I see one drop and pass out, but other people's blood doesn't bother me - go figure!). I let my doctor and my anesthesiologist know both of these things, and they made it very easy to get through. I was given "happy drugs" before I went in for surgery, via an IV - the nurse distracted me while the anesthesiologist numbed my hand and put the IV in. I didn't even realize it till it was over. If the sight of an IV bothers you, they can probably put a sleeve or something over your hand while you're awake so you can't see it. My doctor said the anesthetic would have no effect on my epilepsy, and if by some chance I started having a seizure on the table they would have no problem stopping the seizure immediately.

Best of luck to you! I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Heidi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register