Omg - My Surgery Is Next Wednesday! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Omg - My Surgery Is Next Wednesday! Omg - My Surgery Is Next Wednesday!

Unread 02-08-2002, 04:03 PM
Omg - My Surgery Is Next Wednesday!

I went to the office today for my 2-week follow up from my laproscope. Boy was I nervous. I've been dealing with endo since I was 14 (period started at 11 - remembering the pain since 14, and I'm 33 now). I didn't really know what to expect the to say...other than I knew it was bad in there already - adhesions, etc. He said it was really "messy" in there - couldn't see everything, was afraid he might nick a colon (DON'T want to be doing there) and since I had talked to him already about a hyster, he had "closed me up" and talked to me about it today.

So...he looked at my stitches from the lap, said they looked good and were a little hard because they hadn't dissolved all the way, we talked some more, and he said he would "send his boss in" (the nurse) and she would take care of me.

Nurse came in, we went over surgery papers...and I was thinking YEE HAH!!!!!!!!!!! I might be well on my way to getting this pain and disease out of my body. She called the hospital for me, scheduled my TAH for NEXT WEDNESDAY! Happy and scared at the same time.

When she said it would involve removal of the uterus, ovaries and tubes, I questioned..."Does that mean cervix too, or is that just in a case such as cancer?" She hesitated a minute (felt like that long) and then said, "Yes, cervix too."

Ladies, this scared me. Please let me know what this means. The nurse said that I could ask the about my incision, and whatever other questions I needed answered the morning of my surgery. You betcha I'll have plenty.

I have the Journal and Land of Hyster that I'm 1/2 way through reading and I'm going to read more this weekend.

In the meantime..... HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO ME AND TO ALL MY FELLOW SISTERS GOING THROUGH SURGERY SOON!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2002, 05:09 PM

Wow. The "rocket sled" approach to waiting for surgery, eh? Congratulations.

It's really very common to take the cervix, which is a part of the uterus, not a separate thing. With some kinds of surgery it's possible to just remove the part of the uterus above the cervix. You might try searching for "cervix" - you'll find a zillion posts about it.

Anyone posting with TAH, TVH, or LAVH has had (or will have) their cervix removed. Those who kept (or will keep) theirs are SAH, usually - sometimes SLH. The T is for total, and S is for supracervical, or above-the-cervix.
Unread 02-09-2002, 08:05 AM
Good Luck

You're going to do just great. I had my supra-cervical abdominal hysterectomy three days ago. I'm home and gimping around, but it's over. My dr. found adenomyosis along with my known fibroids. It's a relief knowing it's over. Let us know how it goes. nbemis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Excitment fills the air!

Hey that was fast and the way it should be. a lot of ladies has to wait a long time and believe me waiting is the hardest part about this surgery. I had to wait a month and I think it was the longest month. I really think they kept switching the calendar on me and changing it to june all over again . I had my cervix taken had a tah/bso. Doesn't seem to be any differnce that I can feel. I do feel like a brand new woman. I haven't felt this good in 41 years. I am 51 and started when I was 10. I have one beautiful DS who is almost 20 now so at least some of the pain was worth getting him here. Read a lot that is the way to become informed you have a few days plenty of time. If you have questions that aren't answered ask the DR. Call before the surgery if you want answers now. God Bless and keep us posted.
Unread 02-09-2002, 09:47 AM
That's Quick!!!

Hey SugarB,
Looks like we'll be in the same boat on Wednesday. I'm having a TAH also on 2/13. I will be keeping my ovaries unless they look abnormal but my cervix is going. Mine has been scheduled since December (my choice to wait until February). The time has gone by so fast, easy to say now that its almost here.

Are you nervous? I only get nervous when I imagine the ride to the hospital the morning of and then walking into admitting. For some reasong, that's the worst to me.

Anyway, glad you will be having all your problems taken care of this week. Do more research if you are not sure about your cervix. In my mind I don't think it has much to do with other things so I'm letting it go.

Will look forward to catching up with you after our surgeries. Best of luck to you.
Polly
Unread 02-09-2002, 10:35 AM

SugarB,

We're in the same age group. Well, that's probably an oxymoron to a lot of us here. IMHO, the doc said that if you leave the cervix there is still the possiblity of contracting cervical cancer. I said take it and I don't even have a family history of cancer! Everyone has to make their own decision but she said the magic word for me. The ladies were right when they said check out "cervix". There's a ton of information. I am just so very happy to finally be pain free for once in my life!
Unread 02-09-2002, 11:39 AM

Congradulations!

You are on the way to a better way of life! Thank goodness you didn't have to wait long. I guess you'll be busy getting things ready for next week. You don't need the cervix, just something else to go wrong. You're not going to believe how much better you will feel.
Unread 02-09-2002, 12:13 PM
You ladies are great...

Thanks for the posts, ladies. Polly - good luck Wednesday - what time is your surgery? Mine is scheduled for 10:45, but I heard the say the had a 10:00 appt. ahead of me...so I would think he'd be rushing. No rushing pre-punctured princesses or post!!

I'm not nervous too much today - the sun is shining and it's cold, but a beautiful day. So I've been cleaning, watching movies, reading, and trying to relax and not worry TOO much about how my house is going to look for wonderful support group coming over to take care of my DH and me - my mom is coming, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are coming at different times, and I'll have friends stopping by. I'm soooo blessed!!

As I was thinking about my health/life last night, I remembered that when I was around 19 or 20, I had the cyrotherapy (sp?) done (freezing of my cervix to get rid of suspicious cells that my pap showed). So, getting rid of my cervix is a very good thing for me I think. No worries then about getting cancer of my cervix.

Well, time to tackle the bathroom. I know, I know.....REST!!

SugarB
Unread 02-09-2002, 02:14 PM

Hi SugarB,
You sound like me....clean clean clean up until the last minute! I live in Colorado and my Mom lives in California. She has suggested coming out to help. Do you think I'll need it? My DH said he could take some days off, but with 3 children I just don't know. I've had 2 C-Sections. I'm not sure what to expect with a TVH.

Take care,

Tracy

:
Unread 02-09-2002, 04:02 PM

Yes, you will need the help, especially with 3 children. Tell your husband to save the few days he can help til your mom leaves. You won't feel as bad with the TVH, but they still cut out the same things and have the same stitches! You still have to rest and not lift! Remember 6 weeks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register