hygiene and hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hygiene and hospital stay hygiene and hospital stay

Unread 02-08-2002, 08:55 PM
hygiene and hospital stay

do you ladies really take showers in the hospital before going home and wash your hair - i guess i thought sponge baths were the only option - can you get your TAH/BSO bandages/staples - or whatever you have wet? My only sx experience is sinus, same day surgery that I put off for about 14 years because I was so afraid of the pain - turned out my sinus infections (bi monthly at the end) were way more painful that the surgery itself or it's aftermath, but i had good pain control by meeting with the anthes. ahead of time, and making sure the md knew how little tolerance i have for pain, and how much fear of being left unmedicated for it. Showers, wow. Makeup too? massages, facials - ok I am still a little nuts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2002, 09:00 PM

I did not take a shower in the hospital, but went home in 23 hours as I had a TVH. I waited and took one when I got home. However, I know alot of the ladies who have TAHs and are in the hospital a few days do take showers. I have read that they use a hair dryer to dry the incision.

Sherry
Unread 02-08-2002, 09:06 PM
The showers feel so good.

I had a biniki cut and had staples. I got to shower in fact they insisted that I take a shower the next day after surgery. My cath came out and my iv went into the shower with me. The nurse offered to help but the way my body looks yipes I don't let anyone see me. She stood outside the door after she changed my bed and waited for me to finish. I never bothered with makeup thought about it but figured they had seen my bottom so no amount of makeup was going to correct that scary site . Anyway you do feel like a pampered and well you should. They got me some shampoo, I decided not to bring mine because I didn't want to wash my hair so I waited until I got home. I only stayed 48 hours so wasn't bad. God Bless and take whatever you want to make yourself beautiful when you go to the castle. The nurses won't mind, or at least mine didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2002, 09:25 PM

I was in the hospital for 4 nights and took 2 showers. The day after surgery I had a sponge bath. The first real shower was 2 days after surgery when they took the catheter and IV out. Took the second before I went home. The staples can get wet (I had 23 of them). I also took my hair dryer and sat on the bed to blow dry my hair. Didn't bother with make-up.
Unread 02-09-2002, 05:28 AM

Iwas able to shower/wash hair in the hospital several times (in 9 days). They can tape plastic around IV tubing and the staples/incision can get wet. They will have either a walk-in shower with grab bars or a tub with bars (getting in/out was hard). Another handy piece of advice: bring your own shampoo and body wash--the generic stuff they have in the little kit they give you is only fit for a rhino! You can get travel sizes of nice shampoo/conditioner and body wash. I was glad I did.
Unread 02-09-2002, 06:26 AM

After my TAH/BSO on a Monday I was in the hospital shower on Wednesday (just before the staples came out) - glad I brought small sample sizes of shampoo/conditioner & body wash (even a small body sponge) - I don't usually use it but I bought all herbal essence brand stuff because it smells really good and over powers that "hospital smell" . My hair is barely shoulder length but I brought a whole zip lock bag of assorted hair clips, barettes, etc. and clipped my hair up in such a messy strange style that one of the teens who visited me said my hair looked "really cool". I wish I had a pair of cheap flip flops to wear on my feet in the shower -- the floor looked pretty gross - so I grabbed a couple of hospital gowns from the linen cart and put them on the floor under my feet. The shower was walk-in so a student nurse stood in the room with me while I showered - plus they had big bars in the shower to grab onto. Believe it or not I even managed a quick shave on underarms and legs!

Bring some good facial moisturizer with you too -- the hospital is soooo dry. Don't forget your own toothbrush, toothpaste, and most importantly some lip balm/chap stick.

Good luck!

Leslie
Unread 02-09-2002, 06:51 AM
hospital hygiene

thanks a lot - I will bring all of my "unsented stuff" - I am the allergy princess - flowers chocolate, wheat ...
soy!! - who takes out the staples - do they go home with you? and thank god I bring my flip flops to the gym (when i went 5 hears ango - and thank god I throw nothing out - they are now in my "hospital box" along with my spf 15 chapstick from my "sun" box - getting closer and closer and more prepared daily ...
Unread 02-09-2002, 07:20 AM

Lynda - My nurse took my staples out before I left the hospital...and steri strips applied. She used a a little staple puller specificially for surgical staples and didn't feel pain...just pulling. Some women have gone home with their staples and returned later to have them removed.

I could of taken a shower before I left...however the water at the hospital didn't get as hot as I like it...and my dh pointed that out after he started it. So, I waited until I got home...then took a shower.
Unread 02-09-2002, 07:29 AM

I had surgery on a Friday and went home noon on Sunday. The hospital and dr I had did not have me take a shower while in the hospital. They gave me this neat little pack of body wipes that they warmed up for me. My wonderful husband helped me with the "sponge" bath. When I was ready to leave the castle, the staples came out and I was told when I take a shower at home I had to put some plastic over the incision. Had major problems using tape (took off skin) so I just made sure that I dried the area really well. Since I did not want anymore tape, instead of using a "bandage", I used a pad that my underwear held in place. It kept it dry and cushioned.
Unread 02-09-2002, 12:28 PM

I took a shower and washed my hair less the 24 hours after TAH
BSO, the nurse wasn't even in the room and I had a private room, but there is a call button if you need it. You will find it refreshes you and makes you feel better. I had a perm so I just combed my hair and did makeup. My nurse had me take 2 percodan then when they kicked in in about a half hour I showered. Don't wait until your pain med is wearing off and you are nearing a dosage, I don't remember there being any concern about my incision getting wet, I had no staples and it looked like my Dr
must have super glued me back together because there were just a couple stitches on each end of the incision, and a thin clear see thru tape type bandage. I'm glad I didn't have staples.
They sound uncomfortable.If you don't want to shower or wash your hair ask for thosenew bathing clothes they have, Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register