Please help justify what I'm feeling..... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help justify what I'm feeling..... Please help justify what I'm feeling.....

Unread 02-09-2002, 01:53 PM
Please help justify what I'm feeling.....

Hi Janet,
I just read that you will be going in for surgery on the 11th! I want to wish you the very very best. Honestly, I had to look at the abbreviations to find out what a BSO was. Aren't you scared? They are taking everything right? I feel the only thing that would concern me would be hormone therapy after that. Isn't that what happens?

It is so incredible how many of us are going through this. Thank you again for being so supportive!

May God bless you! Please let me know how everything turns out.

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2002, 09:01 PM

Giofog,
Please, please do go into your details. You sound alot like me and I'm eager to listen...... It's so true isn't it, we go and go until we can't go anymore. I guess there is a part of me that feels as though If I'm really ill, I'll certainly know the signs of it. To me, being sick is being on your back incompacitated!!! Not true. I have this problem. Certain times it's absolutely horrible to even walk. Then, when I'm feeling like I can walk and go on with the day, I'm trying to talk myself out of the surgery!

Look forward to hearing from you,

Tracy K
Unread 02-09-2002, 10:31 PM
tracy GIVE ME AN EAR

You are not alone I had my TAH/BSO 7 months ago, I had the same feelings as you I had a very large tumer 13cm. on my right side. The pain was so bad down my leg ,lower back, I was all blown up I to couldn't walk I felt life was just not fun anymore. The worst of it was for 4 years I told my dr. and she just never did anything so I just suffered. Until I was rushed to my surgen and told I needed surgery right away, I had no one to support me tell me anything It was very lonely. I had my hubby , kids, but how could they even know what I was going through. I hid so much from them couse I felt they are probley sick of me being sick . well the big day comes Im in the parking lot of the hospital looking up at that big building, I stoped looked at my family and said I don't have to do this,I can get in the car and go home right now.

thay just stood and looked at me not to dare say anything to me, I looked at them looked at that building and said ok lets get this over with. I was not doing them anygood or me the way I was SO happy I did it NO more pain IM on my way to being and having a life that I forgot was there. I treat myself real good take care more rest, the surgery fixed the pain also if I didn't go things could have gotten worse, as it was wraping around my bladder and colen, think about how nice it will be not to have pain. I don't take hrt, I went the soy way and feel better every day. so if my story can help you Im happy

god bless, lucky you found this site I wish I had the sisters then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2002, 02:17 AM
Well since you asked...

I have had problems for the last eight years and they have gone from bad to worse, to unbearable. Always had fairly heavy periods, but gradually went to constant bleeding, clotting, severe pelvic and abdominal pain, and then three years ago sometimes hemorrhaging. Well the hemorrhaging has been pretty much every month, for seven to ten days at a time, for the last year and a half. My doc ordered an ultrasound back in 1998 and at that time discovered a fibroid, and an endometrial biopsy showed possible endo as well. She wanted me to consider a hyst then, but nooooooooo, I had to keep on going and pushing myself through all those problems.

Last October things got so bad that she put me on state disability and told me she would NOT release me back to work till I had surgery. Even then I couldn't take the hint. I had to get through the holidays, didn't want to disappoint my daughter. Well on January 9th I ended up in the ER after full-on hemorrhaging for almost two weeks. When the did a CBC they found out that my hemoglobin was 4 (yes you read that right, it was 4), my hematocrit was 14, and on top of all that my BP was 70/30. :cry: So into the hospital I went for an emergency transfusion, and even with four units of whole blood they only got the hemoglobin up to 9.8.

Now I am on Lupron to (hopefully) shrink the fibroid (it was 20-week size when they did another ultrasound at the hospital) and stop the bleeding so I can build my blood up to a decent count before surgery. They also indicated 'probable' adeno on the path report.

The good news is, I am going in on Monday to fill out all my pre-op paperwork and see the financial services people, and might even have a date by the end of the day! It will probably be in late March, and I am excited to be getting my life back.

You are the only one who can decide if and when surgery is right for you, but don't put it off because you think you have to keep living with something that is not right with your body and is causing you pain and ruling your every waking moment! There is no reason for that, as I have come to learn. I wish I had considered surgery back in 1998 when they first discovered the fibroid, so I would have been in optimum health when my mom was ill and dying during 2000. Instead I ended up trashing my health even more with all the stress of that year.

Here is a big for you. I hope you will post any more questions and concerns you have, this is the place to get all the support you need. Take your time making a decision, but don't wait too long! It really is silly to put off something that can make your life so much better. I had to learn that the hard way.

See ya!

Unread 02-10-2002, 07:47 AM

Hi Tracy

Yes I am nervous about the hormones, I haven't read up too much on them, I decided to go with whatever my doctor puts me on and see how I do. I may do something different later, but I don't want to deal with that right now. I just want to get through the surgery first.

I know what you mean about the abbreviations. I never could figure out what a BSO was until the doctor wrote it out on my surgical instructions - Bilateral Salpingo Oopherectomy (tubes and ovaries). I had a TVH in Sept 00 (uterus and cervix) so my ovaries are all that I have left. My doctor didn't take them during the first surgery because she said they looked healthy, although I have always had problems with my right side. In December a solid mass was found on the right ovary, so they are removing both of them.

I can tell you from first hand experience with the TVH that it really isn't as bad as you build up in your mind. I was just telling my DH this morning that the fear of the unknown is the worst part of all of this. Even if the worst happens tomorrow, and I find out that the mass is cancerous, it is easier for me to deal with something real than it is to deal with what goes on in my mind.

I hope that you find peace with your decision, I will pray that you do.

Blessings,
janet
Unread 02-10-2002, 11:54 AM

Tracy, Giofog and others,
I'm 10 weeks post op from a TAH/BSO and feeling so good now, I can't believe how reluctant I was to have this surgery. I so relate to what you said, Tracy. I was not incapacitated, not missing work, not bedridden with pain so did I really NEED to have a hyst? Especially when most of the books I read seemed to be so anti-hyst ... all those statistics about unnecessary hysts (as in, only NECESSARY if you have cancer). And the stereotype that only an ignorant, gullible woman would allow her doctor to talk her into having a hyst. When I read some of the posts here from ladies who have practically bled to death during their periods, I wondered if I was really so bad off.
I really tried to avoid this surgery ... had two large fibroids removed via laparoscopic myomectomy last June in an effort to keep my reproductive organs. Just did NOT want to have a hyst. My doc found stage 4 endo during the surgery ... it was really bad and the cause of many painful years, as it turns out. I tried some medical management over the next few months ... I just got worse, not better. Finally had the hyst on November 29th.
I'm not taking any estrogen yet ... and I'm not a crazy person and not ready to kill anybody yet. The truth is, I'll take night sweats any day over what I had been going through. The first two weeks of recovery were tough, I won't kid you about that, but at 10 weeks post op I feel almost joyful!! No more belly pain, sex doesn't hurt ... not only does it not hurt, it feels good! After the initial adjustment of not having a cervix or uterus, DH and I are getting things figured out and everything is working fine! Yeah!
I think it is completely normal to question and question this decision to have a hyst ... it is so hard to come to terms with it. I continued to be skeptical for a few weeks after surgery ... would I really be better? Would that pain be gone? Well, I am better, the pain is gone, I DID get my life back ... this feels like a miracle! Please don't let your fear prevent you from getting your lives back ... you deserve to live without pain, if there are remedies. Best of luck all! It's wonderful on the other side!

Beth
Unread 02-11-2002, 03:40 AM
Burning Pain/Hormones

I have that burning pain on my right side too. I have a cyst and a mass(unidentifiable as yet, possibley large amount of endo). I think the burning pain comes from th endo because of what it does to your organs and anything else it attaches to. I've researched all 4(pills, shots, vaginal inserts and patches) of the HRT methods. I've decided not to go the herbal way because I'm only 34 and I want to totally control menapause sysmptoms. The patch and vaginal inserts are absorbed through your skin and intereact much more naturally with your body than the pills or shots and I've also read that the vagianl inserts will help ease vaginal dryness. I think I want to start with the patch, however a lot of people can't use it because the glue irritates their skin. We'll see how it goes. Hope this answers some of your HRT questions.
Unread 02-11-2002, 07:15 AM
pain and nausea!

I was happy to read your post because I, like you, keep asking myself if I am just being a complainer or if I truly need to do a TAH/BSO. Two drs have recommended it and I went as far as to tell him to schedule it and then.....I called and told him to wait. I don't know why other than I am scared and began to wonder if I was really uncomfortable enough with endo pain! Your post really hit home about the pain and then, I have been getting horrible waives of nausea too! Does anyone else experience this? Anyone know why this happens? (never used to but it has the last few months) About 8-10 days before a period and then throughout the duration, I get horrific waives of nausea. This past weekend, I stayed on the couch holding my new boyfriend tight (my heating pad) and feeling green! This is awful. Anyway, I guess I really should make a date in the castle.....Anyone want to share their feelings about the time of year to do it? (summer's coming, ugh! I'm fat enough without worrying about 'puff belly' blues! Wait until late summer and go for the fall?
Unread 02-11-2002, 10:42 AM
The Same Pain!!!

I have experienced the same pain for years-Endo/Adeno/Fibroids. After reading this great website I no longer have any fears. I can't wait to be a crowned princess!

I'm having my last period now and it 's killing me! I'm so happy to be rid of this misery once in for all! I told my Dr. I can deal w/menopause symptoms anytime compared to this.

I got until 2/28, then I'll be free. Yeh!!!!
Unread 02-11-2002, 12:30 PM
KOTEX, anyone?

WHO WANTS MY KOTEX? don;t need it anymore don;t want it don;t miss it

TAH/BSO -cervix removed-vertical incision

hubby wanted to send me to PMS camp

no he says I can stay home HEE HEE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register