Pets and Post-Op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pets and Post-Op? Pets and Post-Op?

Unread 02-10-2002, 06:31 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

Hello!

A little while ago, I posted on the pre-op message board about the fact that I may be having a hysterectomy on 2/26. While I am only scheduled for a resection, the doctor has reserved enough OR time and enough nights for me to stay in the hospital in case he decides it is necessary to do a hysterectomy instead.

A week ago, my husband and I adopted a six month old kitten. He is here on a trial basis, as we have friends who couldn't keep him due to allergy problems. My husband and I are both also allergy sufferers, but we are trying to see if the symptoms are something we can live with. We are so hopeful that we'll be able to keep this little guy!

In a way, his arrival has brought more fun and affection to our house at a wonderful time! He is such a great little kitten and so lovable, and since my surgery was scheduled a few days ago he has helped to take some of the focus away from that.

I'm concerned, though, about what to expect after surgery, if I have the hysterectomy done. I know I'll appreciate the loving and I'll want to cuddle with him, but I also anticipate that having him walk around on me could be a problem.

For those of you with pets in your family, how did you deal with this? Oh and yes, I know we could keep him out of the room I'm in, but I really don't want to have to do that to the little guy (or to me... hehe!)

While typing this, I am thinking it's really a very trivial matter in the big scheme of things, and I'm thinking of not clicking on "send". However, I guess this is all part of preparing myself... so here goes!

Thanks!!
Abby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2002, 06:46 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

Hi Abby!

Two words: Tummy Pillow.

I have 4 cats (full grown) and I was also concerned about this. I kept my tummy pillow sitting on my tummy when I was laying down, and it really protected me from any inadvertent or purposeful walking across, jumping on, or otherwise disturbing my tummy.

There's a great tummy pillow in the Hystersisters store; perfect size for protecting the tummy.

Or you can use any pillow that is comfortable.

Best Wishes!
Unread 02-10-2002, 06:48 AM
Sorry!!

Hi again,

I realized after posting a short time ago that I really shouldn't have taken up bandwith here to ask this question. I know there are far more important things to be discussed on this message board and that it is intended to be used by post-op princesses!

I've sent a request for it to be removed, but meanwhile I wanted to say I'm sorry to those of you whose time is taken up reading this!

Abby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2002, 07:03 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

Dear Abby,

(Hey - sounds like I'm writing to an advice column! )

Abby, ALL of our post-op concerns are valid. Including this one. I hope your post does not get removed; our after-surgery concerns include how to deal with our surroundings. Pets are a concern! Recovery from this surgery is sooooo important.

Please feel free to discuss those aspects of hysterectomy that concern you - there is so much insight here and no such thing as a silly or stupid question.

HUGS, sweetie!
Unread 02-10-2002, 07:26 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

Awww... thank you, Toonces!

I really appreciate the information, and your support!

I'm still learning to find my way around here, and after posting my question it just really seemed to not be in the right category.

I'll check out the Hyster Sisters tummy pillows! Since I *may* be having the hysterectomy in just over two weeks, I might try to come up with another alternative, at least to start with. Living in England, we find that mail delivery from the States can take anywhere from a mere three days to a very frustrating three and a half weeks. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how long it takes things to make their way across the water to us!

As for the kitty, if we can handle the allergy problem and we're able to keep him, I have a feeling he could have a really positive impact on any recovery I may be facing.

Thanks again!
Abby

P.S. My husband and I were just talking about "Toonces the Driving Cat" yesterday, as he used to have a girlfriend whose cat was named Toonces!
Unread 02-10-2002, 07:52 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

Abby - Handling pets after hyst. is an important issue and a good question for our post op ladies. I too have a cat...and toonces is right...tummy pillow is the best way to hold and cuddle are little friends after hyst.
Unread 02-10-2002, 08:18 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

Abby,

Cats are far from a trivial matter! In fact, I welcome this thread.

My cat has been integral in my recovery. Firstly, mine intuited that something was up and stayed very close but not on top of me. Literally, she has not left my side since I came home last Friday.

I got hit with the dreaded gas and she paced the hall with me, all night. Much to her chagrin, she's been a constant source of amusement; she sat there patiently while I "introduced" her to a get-well beany baby.

We are now preparing for our Mardi Gras party. The beads are out and she's told me she's expecting to flash her boobs (kitty boobs?) over the balcony. We are having jambalaya and beignets.

On a serious note, don't expect to bend and scoop the litter box or change the litter and do keep your pillow handy.

I wish you all the best,
Carole
Unread 02-10-2002, 09:35 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

HI,

I want to join with Toonces and Dot and emphasize that there are no insignificant, unimportant, or silly questions. And, there are probably no questions that have not been asked before! So, don't ever, ever hesitate to post a question. And, if it needs to be moved so it will receive better attention or better advice in another forum, a hostess will take care of that for you.

Now, as to cats --- I have two cats and a dog. I was very, very concerned about them before my surgery also. I agree that the tummy pillow is the best protection. I didn't use the pillow just one time, and don't you know it, my cat jumped square on my stomach. Those little feet really dig in when they walk on you! Ouch!

Remember what Carole advised about not bending over to clean out the litter box. Also, I know that pregnant women are not supposed to clean litter boxes due to possible infections. I would think that would also apply to post surgical patients.

Aren't our pet friends fun? They become members of our family. I hope you are able to keep your new kitty and your allergies behave. In my home, we are all allergic to cats, but we do fine with ours....go figure.

You may want to check out the Pet forum. It is a fun place to visit, and you can ask questions about kitty rearing! You can access it from the main Message Board page. Click on the first forum listed under Hyster Sister Extras, "Friends Without Faces". Then click on the forum for pets -- "Pet Party".

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Unread 02-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

Abby,

I am 10 days post-op. My animals, a Golden Retriever and a tabby cat, are very special members of our family. They have been so faithful to me during this recovery time, they have barely left my side.

My little Tabby, is 10 yrs. old and very small, she was the runt of the litter. But of course she wanted to lay right on top of me! I used a pillow and a blanket on my tummy, but discouraged her from laying on top of me. She is quite content to lay (lie?) beside me.

I have been on bending restrictions, so I haven't been able to pick her off the floor or clean out the litter box. But I have a great bunch of able-bodied people to do these things for me!

Good luck with your kitty and with your upcoming procedure. Our thoughts are with you!
Unread 02-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Pets and Post-Op?

My cats are my babies and this would have been much harder to get through without them, so I agree that this is an excellent thread!

I have three very big, very affectionate cats, so I was worried about what to do post-op. Like everyone has said, a tummy pillow is the way to go! One cat then insisted on laying on my chest, which didn't hurt but was annoying. My advice - be careful if you use a heating pad, because it attracts my cats like you wouldn't believe! It was almost like they were scheming on how to get on it (which of course would put them on my belly). Finally I put it on the low setting and put the pillow on top of it, but from the directions on it that's not the safest thing to do My cats also like to sleep with me and that's been really annoying too, since they lay right up against me and I can't move... and if you're uncomfortable, you really want to shift your position! But regardless of all that, they have been wonderful company and very comforting to me, certainly worth any relatively small hassle that's involved!!

Heidi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register