Surgery tomorrow - Feb. 12th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow - Feb. 12th Surgery tomorrow - Feb. 12th

Unread 02-11-2002, 05:24 AM
Surgery tomorrow - Feb. 12th

Well, it's finally here. Surgery tomorrow. A little nervous, but mostly relieved that it will soon be over & done with.

I thought of a somewhat relaxing idea for recovery at home. I decided to buy some aromatherapy candles & place them around the bedroom and living room. I thought that that the aromas would be nice and soothing.
Since I'm such an active person, I'm trying anything that will help me stay in bed
and rest !!

Just thought that I would share my idea in case this just might work for other
sisters.

Take care all. Good luck to other ladies that go to the castle on the 12th.
I'll keep you all in my prayers.
Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2002, 05:58 AM

Hi Dawn!

Thank you for the great idea ! I know your fellow LIWs will find this helpful!

Best wishes to you for your big day tomorrow! We will be with you, holding your hand in spirit!

HUGS,
Unread 02-11-2002, 05:06 PM

Dawn - You'll be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Let us know when you get home and feel up to sitting "just" long enough to log on and say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2002, 06:33 PM

Candles are a great idea! Thanks for sharing that with all of us. You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Very soon you will be a with a lovely shiny new crown!
Unread 02-11-2002, 08:22 PM
I did the aroma candles too!

That is a wonderful idea Dawn! I did that too and it helped quite a bit! Especially when I was hurting! Sometimes it was just nice to meditate with them burning or read.

God bless you tomorrow! You are in my prayers! Hurry back and let us know how you are feeling when you can! Don't rush it though! We'll still be here!

s,
Janie
Unread 02-14-2002, 05:03 PM
I'm home

Came home today - Valentine's Day. Surgery went well.
Nothing was cancerous. Feeling sore & tired, but that is to be expected, especially since I'm not able to sleep much.
Did anyone else have this problem ?

Since I wasn't able to sleep, I walked an awful lot during my
hospital stay. Nurse told me today that I was overdoing it - walking too much! I had (and still don't know) how much is
too much. If you're taking pain meds, how do you know when you're hurting & doing too much ??

Anyway, I'm just rambling.........going to lay back down now.

Take care all,
Dawn
Unread 02-14-2002, 05:36 PM

Welcome home Dawn. Glad to hear no cancer

The first few weeks I only walked to bathroom and to kitchen for water and snacks...and a few trips around the inside of my house once a day..but it was limited. I also limited sitting time..that will cause additional pain too. You've got LOTS of internal stitches..and those need time to heal before putting too much pressure on them. RESTING is crucial...so don't over do it.

The problem with overdoing it...is you usually don't know until it's too late..especially early post op. You can't over pamper yourself..but you can over do it. Signs of overdoing it include: exhuastion, pain, additional inflammation (swelly belly) and extra discharge and/or bleeding. Don't want that to happen...so settle yourself into a comfy position...and lift nothing heavier than glass of water and channel changer
Unread 02-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Welcome home!

Dawn,
So glad to see you're home and your castle stay was uneventful.
I had a problem with sleeping when I came home too. I had horrible dreams and restlessness for about 3 weeks until I saw my GYN. My pain med had hydrocodone in it plus my cough med had hydrocodone in it (I had a nasty cold with a cough when I came home). The doc changed my pain med. That helped a lot.
Some of the other sisters had a difficult time with hydrocodone too. (I was on Percocet and he changed me to Vicoprofen, which has about half the hydrocodone in it) I eventually had to get some Ambien though. I had more peaceful nights but was still unable to sleep until i got the Ambien.

Keep and

Blessings,
Janie
Unread 02-14-2002, 05:53 PM

I had Nubain (spelling ?) the first day for pain. Then switched to
Tylox yesterday. Wanted to go home with the least strength in pain meds, so switched to Darvocet today.

I had Ambien last night to help me sleep. I actually slept 3 hours
straight then ! But it made me feel kinda groggy today.

Guess, I'll just have to wait all this out. Hoping things will get better when I'm off the pain meds.

Thanks for your thoughts & comments all,
Dawn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register