Less than 2 weeks to go. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Less than 2 weeks to go. Less than 2 weeks to go.

Unread 02-11-2002, 09:33 AM
Less than 2 weeks to go.

Hi! First of all I'm thrilled I found this website today while searching for info on hysterectomy.

I'll be having a total abdominal hysterectomy on the 22nd of this month. I've had two c-sections and have had my appendix removed. All of that before the age of 23. I'm not overly worried or concerned with what will be done, since I have experienced so much already and know what to expect. I am extremely fit and go to the gym at least 5 days a week. I ride motocross and spend a lot of time driving my kids to their various sport events. I'm as active as on person can be. I'm getting panicky about how long it will take before I can resume my normal day to day life. Yes, I know it will take weeks and weeks. I'm a Type A personality and am afraid I'm going to rot in the house. My husband is extremly supportive and our insurance (German Military) will even pay for a housekeeper, but I don't think I can stand by and watch someone do my work. HELP!!! How can I prepare for the days and hours spent at home having to sit still? After my c-sections it was different, I had a new baby to concentrate on. Other than taking the laptop to bed with me and surfing what else can I do? Anyone else have or has had this problem?

PamelaNM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2002, 11:40 AM
Less than 2 weeks to go.

Hi Pamela and welcome!

I had my TAH a year and a half ago, when I was 28. I am also a very physical person, in excellent shape. I have 4 horses, and spend most of my time (when I'm not at work) working with them, moving bales of hay, cleaning stalls, etc. In other words, I don't like sitting still!

I was worried about my recovery time as well, and how I would handle having to sit still for so long. Well, the first 3 weeks or so, I was WAY too uncomfortable to mind sitting still. The last thing I wanted to do was move around! I did take a lot of walks (very slow, short walks), but that's all I could manage.

After 4 or 5 weeks, I started feeling a bit better, but still had to be good and follow my doctor's restrictions. The few times I did too much (by "too much", I simply mean taking a longer walk than normal), I paid for it the next day with additional aches and swelling.

By 2 months or so, I felt much better, but still got sore and swollen if I did much lifting. It took me approximately 5 months to be 100% back to "normal", and not get sore when I did very heavy lifting, riding, etc. I have seen many women on this site who took longer (up to a year or so) to be back to 100%. It just depends on the individual, their type of surgery, any complications, etc.

Anyway, wish I could be more help, but I know you'll be fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register