Pre-Donating Blood | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Donating Blood Pre-Donating Blood

Unread 02-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Pre-Donating Blood

The nurse handed me a paper about pre-donating my own blood for my TAH if I wanted to. Did anyone need blood during their surgery?
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2002, 04:06 PM
I didn't

I asked my doctor about this & he said that it is unnecessary, as it is very seldom that a woman need a blood transfusion because of a hyst. surgery.

Good Luck in your decision
Unread 02-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Autologous blood donations

Hi. I called the Canadian Blood Services about donating my own blood. They told me that I could donate only if my doctor felt it was necessary. Because the blood isn't screened the same way as blood usually is when it is donated at a blood bank I was told that 99% of blood stored for hysterectomies is thrown away. My doctor said it wasn't necessary. You deplete yourself of blood, which is not a good thing to do when you need it the most. So I decided not to pursue it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2002, 06:02 PM
Pre-Donating Blood

Tracy:

My doctor ordered it and my insurance paid for it. I donated my own blood for my surgery two times prior to my hyst. It was relatively painless and I was told that taking that little bit of blood in no way affected my ability to get thru my operation. Besides it was a few weeks prior to the surgery. The way my doctor and I viewed it was that likely I would not need the blood but just in case it was there to be used for me if the need arose.

Betty
Unread 02-11-2002, 06:22 PM
Pre-Donating Blood

my doc told me i could do it if i wanted to, but to get it done about 30 days before so i had time to build my blood back up. He also told me most women do not need it, so it gets dumped. the cost to do it where i live is $400, paid by ins. only if i need it, otherwise its out of my pocket.
i have a close friend the same blood type as me who is available if i need blood, so i opted not to do it.

good luck!
Unread 02-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Pre-Donating Blood

My doctor did not advise me to dontate my own blood. He said it is very seldom needed. I did not donate my own blood and I came through surgery just fine. He also said it's costly to donate your own blood. He just did not feel that it was worthwhile.
Unread 02-11-2002, 07:13 PM
Pre-Donating Blood

I have donated my own blood before all my surgeries. I was not anemic, so that makes a big difference, and I was able to space it out over the month prior, a week apart for each of two units. I paid for it....it cost about $120 per unit.

For my other surgeries the blood was not needed, but during my hyster, things got a lot more complicated than anyone anticipated, and I ended up losing two units. I came through the surgery fine, but the morning after, my counts dropped drastically and I started passing out sitting in the chair. I was transfused with my own two units, and by that evening everything was back where it was supposed to be.

I was very happy to have my own blood available. It may not always be needed, but it was sure nice to have it there. If your doctor agrees and it won't compromise your health, it's a good insurance policy.

Karen
Unread 02-11-2002, 09:59 PM
Pre-Donating Blood

My doctor recommended against it, but said I could if I wanted to (at my own expense). It would have delayed my surgery by a month or two (no thanks!), and he said that it's rare to need it, but when someone does need it, they need more than just a pint - more like 3-4, so I would have had to store up quite a lot. Besides, I'd rather keep it in me, to keep my strength up.
Unread 02-12-2002, 02:05 AM
I dood it

I donated blood for myself (2 units) prior to my TAH, here it's encouraged and doesn't cost. Didn't need the blood though.

Would if I could donate for myself prior to next week's BSO, but different hospital, different policy.
Unread 02-12-2002, 07:46 AM
Pre-Donating Blood

Tracy,

You may not "need" it but what if you do? The blood supply is not 100% safe. (when you sign the consent forms they will go over the possible consequences of transfusions) I had this same discussion with my doctor. You do need to prepare weeks in advance if you plan to self-donate. Who cares if they throw it away and you never need it. Alot of blood is thrown away due to it expiring. A large percentage of the blood donating after 9/11 was discarded.
My husband is the same blood type as me however, they do not routinely use live donors.

Here is a story that just came out this week....

http://www.mysanantonio.com/expressn...360&xlc=605119

~robin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register