My Doctor DUMPED Me!..The Saga continues... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Doctor DUMPED Me!..The Saga continues... My Doctor DUMPED Me!..The Saga continues...

Unread 02-11-2002, 10:46 PM
My Doctor DUMPED Me!..The Saga continues...

Ok, I'm a big soap opera fan myself, but now my life is turning into one! If you've read my earlier posts, you'll know what I've gone through in the past week. I was sent to the U of M by my doctor to be evaluated by a gyn oncologist last Tuesday. He determined that I did need a Hyster, but not a Radical one, so I could make arrangements to have my own doctor do it if I wanted to. He was also somewhat of a creep to me, and I wanted to discuss the whole experience with him, so I decided to call my doctor and see if he would do it and get a surgery date scheduled.
I first called and got his nurse's voice mail on Tuesday afternoon, I expected someone would call me back Wed morning maybe- but no, I waited 'til afternoon- still no call I called again, and this time since her vm said I could page her if I needed to reach her "immediately", I decided to do just that, she did call me back eventually, but said he was in surgery and would call me the next day, ok wait another day, on Thursdayhe hadn't called me by 4:00pm again, (and I know if I call after 5, I'll get a message saying the clinic is closed for the day), so I called and paged her again, she didn't call back, by this time I'm thinking maybe the pager thing doesn't work or something, so I'll try calling the front desk- they get a message to her and she calls me back. My doctor is not in the clinic on Fridays so I said I suppose I won't hear from him until Mon? She said he wanted to talk to the jerk at the U b4 calling me, to which I replied, " You could have called me and let me know that!" Anyway, he never called Friday and he FINALLY called me after 5pm today, and said this: " I don't think our "relationship" has gotten off on the right foot, and something about me being rude to his nurses, and repeatedly paging them, and he just didn't think he could do my surgery!"

I'm not generally rude, but when I feel ignored and frustrated at not being able to get ahold of him, or make plans for my life, yes, I might get a little RUDE. I'm wondering why he thinks I would have repeatedly paged his nurse if she had really called me back "immedidately". He did promise to call me back b4 noon tomorrow with the name of another Dr. he'll refer me to.

So....here we go again....again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2002, 01:56 AM

(((((Jean))))))
What a terrible time you have been going through!!
I am so sorry to hear this lastest bit of news, but you know, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. And I am sure if this is the way this doctor feels than its probably best that he does refer you someone else.

Its a strange situation, as if they don't want to be paged than why do they have pagers right? That does seem like a very long time to wait to have him ( the doctor) call you back. I don't think you were rude and they must realize when you are dealing with something like this, then you are worried, and of course you want answers.

Perhaps you can talk to family and friends, and find a doctor that they really like and get in to see them and have your files sent etc, and see what they think. Don't give up as this is important that you have this seen to.

Keep us posted on how its going.
Sending big hugs to you Jean!
Maria
Unread 02-12-2002, 05:30 PM

HEY, JEAN,

DON'T FEEL SO BAD. WHEN MY GYNE GAVE ME A D & C. I WAITED 3 WKS FOR THE RESULTS. O.K.!! I HAD TO HAVE A HYST.
SHE REFFERED ME TO AN EXCELLANT ONOCL. GYNE AND HE AGREED. HERE'S THE KICKER, SHE WAS MOVING ALONG WITH HER
PRACTICE AND NEVER EVEN TOLD ME SHE WOULD NOT BE THERE FOR MY SURGERY.
I DID'NT FIND OUT UNTIL THE VERY LAST MINUTE!!!
HOW'S THAT FOR A KICK IN THE PANTS??

ANYHOW, I DID HAVE A FEMALE GYNE WITH ME AT MY SURGERY AND SHE IS WONDERFUL. I LOVE HER , AND AS SOON AS THE ONOCL, GYNE GIVES ME A RELEASE SHE WILL BE MY NEW REGULAR GYNE.
OH! THE 1ST ONE NEVER EVEN SAID ( BYE )

HANG IN THERE, YOU JUST MIGHT GET A BETTER DOCTOR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2002, 03:20 PM

{{{Jean}}}

I'm sorry you're having this problem. But I'm with Maria! Things happen for a reason and maybe you'll be referred on to a doctor who understands how you are feeling and is able to give you the support you need as well as the medical care you need. Hang in there and let us know how it's going!

Unread 02-13-2002, 05:03 PM

I totally agree with Maria... I bet this happened for a reason! If this doc can not manage phone calls.. well.. maybe he is not the doc for you anyway!

Good Luck!

Traci
Unread 02-13-2002, 05:14 PM
Now I have a decision to make

Hi Ladies, thanks for all your positive responses!

You're not going to believe this, but.....the guy that dumped me referred me to another gyn-oncologist at the University ( a female this time). I went to see her today, and guess what?

She agrees with the other female doctor, (the resident, if you're keeping up with my story so far), She says I don't need a hysterectomy at all!

I'm wondering what others experiences are: so far I've had two male docs telling me I NEED a hyster, and now two female Docs that tell me I DON'T! Are all male doctors more anxious to just get rid of the parts your not using anymore?

Right now, I'm so confused I don't know what to think! :hair:

She did tell me it was my decision, and if I decided to have the surgery she would do it, but otherwise I just need to have it watched closely with a pap every three months!

I know this has to be my decision in the end, but if anyone has any advice to offer me about second/third opinions, and whom to believe, please let me know! Thanks!
Unread 02-13-2002, 05:39 PM

My Gosh ((((Jean))))) you sure have been through the mill.
Well....if this doctor is an oncologist, and she says you don't need the surgery, and you have a good feeling about her, then perhaps it is fine to wait, and be monitored every 3 months.

It sure is confusing though isnt' it? I have 2 male oncologists, who I just adore, and I believe what they tell me, and my family doctor and my gyn are females and I adore them too. I guess Jean, as I say if you have a good feeling about this doctor than you should go with whatever your gut instinct is. And you certainly can get more opinions, thats definitely an option as well.

It truly is your decision and I wish you the best with it. Being checked every 3 months, I am sure they will see even the slightest changes, so it sounds like you will be well monitored.
Keep us posted on what you decide. Its a tough one.

Hugs
Maria
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:08 PM

My doctor told me that squamous carcinoma in situ can be watched but not adeno. That is consistant with what your female doctors said. Hope this is helpful.

-Denise
Unread 02-20-2002, 04:55 PM

Hi weekycat,
Not sure of your age but I had carcinoma in situ- male doctor wanted to do hyst -- I had cone biopsy it removed all the bad stuff 5 years later it starts all over again Now I am scheduled for a LAVH on Feb 26. I can`t go thru all the tests and waiting and stress anymore . I am sometimes sorry I didn`t have it done 5 years ago. If you don`t have the hyst - Make sure to remind them every pap test about your dysplasia because as years go by and your have normal paps for awhile doctors can forget to mark that on test orders. Also be real religious about not missing a pap. Good luck to you GOD BLESS
Lucy2
Unread 02-20-2002, 06:34 PM

HI AGAIN WEEKYCAT,

I CAN ONLY TELL YOU WHAT I WOULD BE THINKING, IF I WERE
IN YOUR SHOES.

I WOULD NOT WANT THESE BAD CELLS IN MY BODY!!!

YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION ON YOUR OWN, THIS IS

VERY HARD I KNOW.

DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE THINKING ABOUT THESE CELLS ALL
THE TIME??

GOOD LUCK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register