Factor 5 Leiden and hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Factor 5 Leiden and hysterectomy Factor 5 Leiden and hysterectomy

Unread 02-12-2002, 05:13 AM
Factor 5 Leiden and hysterectomy

Can anyone tell me what her doctor recommended in order to prevent possible clotting during the operation? Some doctors here seem to say 1) compression boots 2) nothing during and then heparin afterwards

Others say, heparin 12 hours before the operation and then afterwards.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Marion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2002, 06:40 AM

Marion,

Are you prone to blood clots. I have an excisting problem with them and my TAH is on Valentines Day. Let me know and I can tell you what my Dr. Said. I just need to know if they are a problem or if you just anticpate them being one.
Unread 02-12-2002, 09:43 AM

Hi Marion!

One of our hostesses has Factor V Leiden...I will alert her to your post and I'm sure she will respond to you as soon as she can. Hang on!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2002, 10:02 AM

I have Factor V Leiden, but I didn't know that until after my surgery when I developed a deep vein thrombosis.

Even without knowing about my disorder, I wore compression stockings. They were put on before my surgery and taken off the next day. It's standard procedure at the hospital where I had my surgery. I also received an injection of heparin.

I now have a hematologist, and he told me that should I ever need surgery, he will anticoagulate me first. Do you have a hematologist? It's important that s/he know about your surgery. If you're on blood thinners, you'll have to stop taking them before surgery (perhaps 10 days before).

It's important that your surgeon and your anesthesiologist are aware of your clotting disorder. If they know, and your hematologist knows, you should have no problems.
Unread 02-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Factor V Leiden

Hello all~
I had a TAH on Nov. 16th due to a *huge* fibroid, and have been reading posts since Oct--a 'lurker'!! So very helpful!!!!! Thank you to all! :-)
I wanted to respond to this post as I was tested for FactorV
after my sister tested positive. This is a genetic disorder which does show up in family members. It is an increased risk of forming blood clots. It often can be a cause of miscarriages~women now(with FactorV) are being recommended to take Lovenox during pregnancy.
I went to a hemotologist who communicated with my surgeon prior to my surgery. This of course made my surgery a bit more scary :-(
While there are different management plans, I was given an injection of Lovenox 12 hours post-op, then once daily for one week. This is a low molecular weight blood thinner. I was also "up and out of bed" a bit sooner and wore the compression "booties" while in the hospital.
At two weeks I had a doppler test done as a precaution to look
for any "forming" clots.
Everyone should be drinking lots of water, and getting up and walking around, but especially if you know you have this clotting disorder.
Also, my doctor felt it important to leave my ovaries because
Estrogen is *not* recommended when one has FactorV!!!!!!!
(risk of blood clots increases even more)
This test has been given since 1994 but there is much to learn and some doctors are negligent on the disorder. There is a great listserv at www.fvleiden.org for more information.
I hope this helps, best wishes to all....
Jacquie
Unread 02-21-2002, 06:07 AM

I knew I had Factoor V Leiden before my surgery. In no way do I want to scare or worry you more by telling you too much, but I know researching and knowing ahead really helps me deal with things.

SO, HERE GOES:
I had to have the surgery. The cyst couldn't stay ,the prolapse was a surgery just waiting to happen sometime in the future, and rectocele was a major quality of life issue I opted to do them all and risk the anesthesia and blood clotting issues only once. That is one reason I let them have the healthy ovary as well.

The longer you are under general anesthesia the greater the clotting risk becomes. It has to do with slowing your bodily functions down so much.

My dr. and hematologist worked together on what would be the best route to take for me considering and concerning the Factor V Issue.

They took preventive measures for me to minimize the possibilities of any clotting problems. I have not personally had any clots, but I have relatives who have died with their first event and others who have come close. One cousin had major problems with nothing traumatic preceeding them. All my aunts on Dad's side have suffered with phebitis since I can remember. That is chronic and miserable stuff.

In my case, they gave me a shot of blood thinner (Lovenox) just prior to surgery. They planned to keep me on that for a month afterward. It is one injection a day.

I am the most squimish person I know. I used to nearly faint if I cut myself just a little bit, or when I went to see a friend in the hospital who had just had a baby or was in for dermatitis. When my kids needed stitches, I did worse than they did!

I did not know they had planned for me to give myself shots! I did not think I could do it, but I HAD TO, so I got brave and they taught me and I did it. If I could do it, anyone could!!!!!

You probably won't get to have all the fun I had with blood thinners. But, here's my story.

Anyway, I developed a rash. Not a typical drug allergy rash but, to avoid any possibility of my developing life-threatening allergic side effects to the Lovenox, they switched me to Heparin , which was two bigger injections every day and from there to Coumadin which is a tablet, but has to be closely monitored and is not usually used short-term. So, I got the grand tour of blood thinners. I had to see the hematologist quite a few times in the course of treatment which lasted 6 - 7 weeks because of the rash and then the monitoring for the coumadin, which was 2x week at first.

Another thing to be aware of is this: If you have any symptoms that could indicate clotting problems, the blood thinner minimizes but does not totally prevent these. Don't hesitate to call dr. Also, if your legs feel sore, DON'T LET ANYONE RUB THEM. If there is a clot forming that could loosen it AND LET IT GO TO YOUR LUNGS..

I forgot to mention the compression stockings that hook up to that machine. At my hospital everyone got those, but they kept them on me for as long as I was there. I was strongly encouraged by my dr. to walk The dr. got really mad at the nurse because she did not bother to get me up and take me for a walk the 2nd day. She still didn't do it!!!! It would bea very good plaln to have a friend or dh come and take you walking a few times at intervals during the day. It isn't possible to go by yourself at first. You are too tipsy and have all that IV and catheter stuff to deal with.

zi'd be glad to answer any questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register