Abdominal Catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Catheter Abdominal Catheter

Unread 02-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Abdominal Catheter

Has anyone had an abdominal catheter? My urologist said that I will come home with a catheter in my abdomen. I am curious about the usual length of time this catheter is kept and how and where it is removed. Is it removed in the Dr. office? Is the incision closed afterwards???? I will ask my on the next visit. But, if anyone else has had this done, I would like to hear about your experience. I did a search, but most of the posts didn't look like the same thing. This is being done as part of a bladder repair. Thanks!

Rayna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Abdominal Catheter

I'm sorry that I don't have the answer for you, but would look forward to hearing what your doctor says that it is. I have heard of women who have tummy tucks with a hyst to have an abdominal drain, where the excess fluid that builds up is drained as you heal. I wonder it this is the same type thing? Are you have the bladder repair with your hyst? All the best with finding some people who may have experienced this to help support your own future experience. Wishes and prayers for your best.
Unread 02-12-2002, 05:39 PM
Abdominal Catheter

Hi....try running a search using our search engine (little purple button at the top of each page) and search "catheter". You will likely turn up many threads discussing this. Many sisters have come home with catheters after bladder repair, for varying lenghts of time.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to address your question. Good luck to you...so glad you found us!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Abdominal Catheter

Hi Karen!

Thanks. I did run a search. But, it did not exactly turn up my situation. My catheter will actually be coming out of my abdomen. I saw one post, but it was due to a surgical error. I have had catheters before, just not an abdominal one. Thanks for your response.

Rayna
Unread 04-21-2002, 01:19 PM
SupraPubic Catheter(Sp?)

Hi Rayna,
I think the catheter that you are referring to is called a Supra pubic catheter (I'm not sure of the spelling). I had one and it went in through a little hole right below my incision instead of through the urethra. The Dr. told me at my pre-op appt that I would have it for a week after I came home. I was really bummed in the hospital because it was such a hassle to carry it with me everywhere I went and have other people change it. I knew that when I came home it would be a real hassle for my family. A fellow HysterSister came to visit while I was in the hospital and she told me she had to wear her's for a week, but she knew that a mutual HysterSister of ours had come home without her's. That immediately gave me hope, so the next time the Dr. came in I asked how I would go about going home without "this attachment"? He said that he would have the nurse clamp it off and then I could try and urinate on my own. If I could urinate, then they would unclamp it and measure how many cc's of urine was left in my bladder after I went all I could. If there was less than 75 cc's and I could do that 3 times in a row, they would remove the catheter. I was estatic! Like a woman on a mission. I immediately had them clamp it off and I was on my way! I had no trouble urinating on my own...What a relief to know it still worked. The first time, I had 100 cc's left so that one didn't
count...But the next time I had under 75 cc's, the next under 50 and the next ZERO!. I WAS SO EXCITED! It paid to ASK!...I have found that Drs. often don't volunteer information. YOU NEED TO ASK! The nurse came in to remove it before I went home on day 4. Make sure someone who knows what they are doing removes it, because it has a small balloon under the skin filled with fluid that they need to drain before removing it (that keeps it from pulling out) and some Drs., like mine, also put a couple of stitches to hold it in place. When she pulled it out it leaked and leaked. She put a couple of tape strips (like the ones I had closing my incision ) to close the hole. I had maternity pads taped to me to catch the leaking and when I came home I wore a Depends that I had here for my mother-in-law. It quit leaking after a few hours and I felt like I had conquered the world getting rid of that thing and I know my family appreciated it also. Do you want to know the funny part? The next day I talked one the phone to my friend who supposedly came home without her catheter ...I said "guess what! I got to come home without my attachment!"...She replied..."What! I didn't come home without mine...I had that lousy thing for a week!"...I guess my other friend had misunderstood what she had shared with her, but I'm glad because it made me ask my doctor and saved me a week of hassle. Let me know if you have any other questions, Rayna...I'm not an expert, but I have been there. (Sorry this post is so long)

May God be with you,
Pootsie

TAH/Bladder repair...3/20/02
Unread 04-22-2002, 06:49 AM
Abdominal Catheter

I also had a suprapubic catheter (I won't tell you how long I had mine in -- it was definitely NOT the norm). They put a small (less than an inch) incision in and the catheter comes out there (mine was near the top of where the pubic hair line is). Other than just worrying for me about when my bladder would start working again and just the inconvenience of it, it wasn't too bad. Be sure and ask to get a leg bag if you do go home with the catheter -- it straps to your upper thigh. This way, you can go out if you want to wearing pants or a skirt and no one will know. One of the sisters came home with a bag that she had to carry around -- I think that would be a MAJOR pain.

Like Pootsie, when my bladder did start working on its own, I had to measure how much I could pee with the catheter clamped and then release and measure how much was leftover. When you are able to get out most of it on your own, the catheter can come out (this process is called voiding trials). The catheter is held in place with a small balloon like thing (which I thought was actually inside the bladder). When it's time to come out, they use a syringe to deflate the balloon thingy, snip the stitch holding it in place (my stitch had popped on its own), and just pull it out -- it didn't hurt one bit, and believe me, I was very nervous about that part of it! My doctor just put a band aid over the top of the incision, and that was it. I had almost no drainage from that spot, and it has healed up nicely.

Please let me know if you have other questions -- I'll answer what I can based on my experience. I hope your surgery goes well and you are able to be cath free as soon as possible.

Joanie
Unread 05-05-2002, 09:45 AM
Belated Thank you.

Thanks Joanie and Pootsie. I am sorry about not responding earlier. You really gave me the answers that I needed. Unfortunately, I did come home with the suprapubic catheter (sp?). My urologist was not on call after the surgery and her husband, who was on call, sent me home with it. I was already urinating on my own. I guess they didn't want to take any chances.

Though I don't like it, it hasn't been too bad. At night I can just hook up my bag and sleep - no midnight potty trips!!

Today we went out to eat. In the restroom I realized what advantage men have over us. I just whipped out my little catheter and didn't worry about touching a possibly germy commode!! Of course I don't believe I will miss my little trial experience.

Rayna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register