Hi, I'm new! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-13-2002, 03:19 PM
Hi, I'm new!

Hi, I just found out last week I would be having ??? supra cervical abdominal hysterectomy. What code would this be (SAH?) I printed out all the codes & it will take me a little while to understand the difference between all of them. My doctor said he would try & keep the ovaries & a part of the cervix to avoid prolapse later. I am 43 & have had 2 c-sections. Last year I had a laproscopic procedure to remove a polyp & a fibroid mass. Luckily all were beign. Well, it's not quite a year & a large polyp is back. I have had painful/heavy bleeding periods for years now. I have also suffered from terrible back & leg pain for years, but never associated it with this until I read some of the posts here. I sleep about 5 hours & then have to either walk around or sit up & sleep. Sometimes the pain is so bad it hurts to breathe. Years ago I went to my GP & they did an x-ray of my back & said I had arthritis of the neck & spine. Another DR. said it was because I slept in the same position to long without moving. Just figured it was something I have to live with. I was thrilled (LOL) to find out someone else was having the same pain & that this might take care of it. So is an SAH similar to TAH? When they get in there will they see if the ovaries are healthy or not & then decide if they need to take them? I have an apt. with my Dr on 2/25 to review everything & my surgery is scheduled for 3/7. Although I'm nervous I can't believe I'm feeling so happy about this(much to my husbands amazement). It's time to start feeling good!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Hi, I'm new!

Hi Babsmv! Welcome to Hyster Sisters! This is such a great place to get real insights into the experiences of others like us. I found it very helpful to begin a list of questions for my doctor as I read throught the posts. I have also found the ladies here to be wonderfully supportive as we journey through this new time in our lives. Click on the 3 princessess at the top of the page and you will be directed to the Home Page. At the bottom of the home page there are several drop down menus that have very useful articles and stories that I hope you find of interest as well. All the best to you...look forward to hearing more from you!
Unread 02-13-2002, 05:09 PM
Hi, I'm new!

Babs. Welcome to hystersisters. Sounds like what you're have is SAH. Those initials are a little confusing at first SAH is similar to TAH...the only diffence is the cervix...with TAH the cervix goes too. BSO is taking both ovaries and tubes...and LSO is left ovary and tube..and RSO is right ovary and tube.

There's a "possibility" for what is referred to as "mini periods" when cervix AND one or both ovaries are kept. Some have it and others don't. Ask your dr. about that...and use search engine at top to search for keywords "mini periods". You may already know about that..but others have not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2002, 05:21 PM
Hi, I'm new!

Babsmv,
I agree with you about how it's time to feel good. I'm 11 weeks post op from having a TAH/BSO and I feel so good. Life is so much sweeter without pain!
As for the ovary decision, this is something you need to investigate and discuss with your doctor. There are many factors to consider including any family history of ovarian cancer, your age, your particular reproductive problems, etc. I'm 46 and had both ovaries removed because I had severe stage 4 endometriosis. Many ladies will tell you that even past menopause your ovaries continue to secrete small amounts of hormones that are very beneficial. The ovary decision is a very tough one and each of us has our own reasons for the decision we have made. Be informed and be sure to discuss this with your doctor. Best of luck!

Beth
Unread 02-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Hi, I'm new!

You ladies are wonderful. I always get nervous at the Drs. & can't seem to remember any questions & feel wonderful while there. I will have to write down all these questions & bring them with me. I'm not sure what he meant when he said he would remove most of the cervix, is that possible? Has anyone had that done? I know he is up on all the latest techniques & lectures around the country. He has been my Dr. for 11 years now & I trust him completely. I just need to get my act together & tell him how I'm feeling. Thanks for all the info, I'll keep reading!! Good luck to everyone else out there!
Babs
Unread 02-13-2002, 06:38 PM
We share a date

I too am scheduled to have my TVH/LSO 3/7. They will leave one ovary and that tube. I was fine until the date was set, now I am nervous and seeking as much information as I can get.
Unread 02-13-2002, 07:08 PM
Hi, I'm new!

Hi Babs,

So glad you joined. I've only been on for a week or so. You are right. I'm feeling better and better about my decision. This website is wonderful and it has "justified" everything I'm feeling. I cannot believe so many women are out there with the same feelings as I have!

I have also suffered from leg and back pain. Chiro did nothing, accupuncture did nothing. Then I starting doing research on the internet and found this site! It's hard to believe that female problems can cause so much leg and back pain huh? Here I was thinking it was all of the years I spent dancing, or a bad fall, or my age. I'm only 36. Then I thought, could my 2 C-Sec's have caused some nerve damage or something???

I'm having a TVH. That's a Total Vaginal Hyst. Removal of the Uterus and Cervix. I was thinking, "So where's the stopping point up there anyways?" Well, they sew your wah wah shut up there. Kindof freaky huh? I still need some clarification from my Doc on that one. I think they will take my left ovary too since I'm sure there is endo now. Lots of burning sensations.......

I wish the best for you and please keep in touch. Keep on reading as it will enable you to feel as though you are making the right decision for you and your family!

's and more 's

Tracy
Unread 02-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Hi, I'm new!

To Babs and others,
Writing your questions down before visiting your gyn is a great suggestion. I started doing that prior to every office visit last year because I would get so nervous I would forget things otherwise.
The back pain so many of you have mentioned seems to be very common. I can't tell you how many times I told my DH we needed a new mattress over the past few years because I'd wake up with back pain! Well, I haven't suggested that once since my TAH/BSO 11 weeks ago. I had several bouts of "flu" over the years that seemed to settle in my back, including a really bad episode right after Sept. 11th last year. The more I've learned about all the problems I had (fibroids, endo, adenomyosis) the more I'm convinced that was the real cause.
Best of luck everyone. Life is so wonderful without pain!

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register